Goodbye Jesus

Spiritual Lyrics In Mainstream Songs

Guest afireinside

Guest afireinside

I thought I would start this thread for the simple purpose of allowing people to air their spiritual and religious interpretations of mainstream or secular songs. Some secular songs have a deeper understanding of religious matters than explicitly Christian songs, sometimes there is a dual meaning and sometimes they are completely misinterpreted to speak of God/religion when they are using religious symbolism as metaphor for something else.

I remember hearing a preacher use the Alanis Morissette song "Ironic" to in an effort to explain "god's mysterious ways".  Basically, he went through all the examples portrayed in the lyrics of that song and elaborated how they could be interpreted to show god's power while working behind the scenes.

The worst example, the part about the old man winning the lottery and then dying the next day:  Maybe this man had a grandson who had succumbed to the temptation of gambling.  When the old man died, the young man inherited some of the money and was able to pay off his gambling debts.  He recognized this as a blessing from the lord and became "saved" after realizing how god had intervened to help him turn his life around.  Yeah, good for him.  God had to kill his grandfather to help this guy that got himself into trouble.

The preacher also thought that the person afraid to fly, when he finally got the guts to get on a plane, and that plane ended up crashing and thought "isn't this nice", was not being sarcastic.  He explained it as the person realizing that a fiery death was coming for him, but he would soon be home with his savior after the plane had crashed.

It's a bit embarrassing that I used to buy into this kind of crazy.

Excellent idea for a thread, high five to afireinside.

Guest afireinside

I always thought up until a few years ago that "Let It Be" by The Beatles was a religious song because it spoke of Mother Mary, I think Mary was referring to McCartneys mother not the Virgin Mary. I think "Ironic" May have been stretching it a bit WP

I know this isn't a mainstream song (I swear there are a ton that I just can't think of) but my local radio station has been playing the song Unbelievers by Vampire Weekend the past few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_qKmTLbEPc

ETA: So I'm not really familiar with them as a band, but looking at some of their other songs it seems they are a bit cynical of religion. Hmmm.

I always thought up until a few years ago that "Let It Be" by The Beatles was a religious song because it spoke of Mother Mary, I think Mary was referring to McCartneys mother not the Virgin Mary. I think "Ironic" May have been stretching it a bit WP

It absolutely was stretching it.  Those were not my thoughts, just the ridiculous thoughts that I had presented to me.

my favorite

I've never heard the Deck of Cards before.

We can't forget Spirit in the Sky.

Guest afireinside

It absolutely was stretching it. Those were not my thoughts, just the ridiculous thoughts that I had presented to me.

Yeah I realise that haha. Funny how Christians can stretch anything to fit their sermons

Guest afireinside

"Sober" by Tool

There's a shadow just behind me,

Shrouding every step I take,

Making every promise empty,

Pointing every finger at me.

Waiting like a stalking butler

Who upon the finger rests.

Murder now the path of "must we"

Just because the son has come.

Jesus, won't you fucking whistle

Something but the past is done?

Jesus, won't you fucking whistle

Something but the past is done?

Why can't we not be sober?

I just want to start this over.

Why can't we drink forever.

I am just a worthless liar.

I am just an imbecile.

I will only complicate you.

Trust in me and fall as well.

I will find a center in you.

I will chew it up and leave,

I will work to elevate you

Just enough to bring you down.

Mother Mary won't you whisper

Something but the past is done.

Mother Mary won't you whisper

Something but the past is done.

Just want to start this over.

Why can't we sleep forever.

I am just a worthless liar.

I am just an imbecile.

I will only complicate you.

Trust in me and fall as well.

I will find a center in you.

I will chew it up and leave,

Trust me

Just want to start things over.

Why can't we sleep forever.

I want what I want

Not sure about this song but I always assumed being sober is not buying into religion.

"Prayer" by Disturbed

Another dream that will never come true

Just to compliment your sorrow

Another life that I've taken from you

A gift to add on to your pain and suffering

Another truth you can never believe

Has crippled you completely

All the cries you're beginning to hear

Trapped in your mind and the sound is deafening

Let me enlighten you

This is the way I pray

Living just isn't hard enough

Burn me alive inside

Living my life's not hard enough

Take everything away

Another nightmare about to come true

Will manifest tomorrow

Another love that I've taken from you

Lost in time on the edge of suffering

Another taste of the evil I breed

Will level you completely

Bring to life everything that you fear

Live in the dark and the world is threatening

Let me enlighten you

This is the way I pray

Burn me alive inside

Take everything away

Return to me

Return to me

Return to me

Turn to me

Leave me no one

Turn to me

Return to me

Return to me

Turn to me

Cast aside

Return to me

Return to me

Return to me

Turn to me

Leave me no one

Turn to me

Return to me

Return to me

You've made me turn away

Burn me alive inside

They take everything from you

Burn me alive, inside

Take everything away

From what I understand this song is about asking God why life is hard and bad shit happens to us that he allows and after all that hardship and suffering we get sentenced to Hell. A lot of people believe it's a song about Job and his suffering too.

When a non-christian song have a better christian theme than contemporary christian song, you know you have a quality issue lol

anyway http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/spiritsk.htm :lol:

that's england orthodox website, they condemn this song in any possible way

some that is absurb:

"in this song jesus is not the son of god but only friend"

what about the traditional hymn "what a friend in jesus"?

what about john 15:15? I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

Tori Amos has religious themes running all throughout her songs. I used to love her in the 90s. Not only the obvious ones like "God," "Crucify" and "Mrs. Jesus" but there are all kinds of references to sin, masturbation, prayer, Jesus and her religious upbringing (her dad was a pastor). Her song "Icicle" is about masturbating in her bedroom while the rest of the family is downstairs "singing prayers."

And IIRC, Marilyn Manson has his share of things to say about religion as well.

And one of my personal favorites, "Hell" by Squirrel Nut Zippers.

don't forget to turn turn turn

Regarding Tori Amos, her song "In the Springtime of His Voodoo" actually has the lyrics "Honey, we're Recovering Christians."

When a non-christian song have a better christian theme than contemporary christian song, you know you have a quality issue lol

anyway http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/spiritsk.htm laugh.png

that's england orthodox website, they condemn this song in any possible way

Thank you for that. I don't think my eyes could have rolled any further back into my head. I'm so glad I'm done.

Regarding the Byrds...I was at a funeral a few weeks ago and the pastor was reading that passage, and he had sort of a sing-songy voice, and I was trying really hard to keep it together.

Even as a nonbeliever, I am still a pretty big U2 fan, and I think Bono is one of the more well spoken believers out there.

I heard of a praise band that did their own take on 'still haven't found what I'm looking for,' changing to lyrics to something like 'I have found what I'm looking for,' which is wrong on so many levels.

• Super Moderator

I remember being told that all love songs are ultimately about gawd, because GOD IS LOVE, ya know.  (Except when he's murdering, raping, pillaging and sending his children to hell for all eternity  WendyDoh.gif .)

Are we just taking the more subtle lyrics? Because otherwise we can't leave out Stairway to Heaven (you know, by those devil worshipping Led Zeppelin fellows) and the ever obvious ones like Hells Bells and Highway to Hell.

Oh, and some personal faves by Wilco: Jesus, etc. and Theologians.

Guest afireinside

Are we just taking the more subtle lyrics? Because otherwise we can't leave out Stairway to Heaven (you know, by those devil worshipping Led Zeppelin fellows) and the ever obvious ones like Hells Bells and Highway to Hell.

Oh, and some personal faves by Wilco: Jesus, etc. and Theologians.

Any lyrics that aren't by a gospel/Christian artist-subtle or obvious.

AC/DC did that other song, was it "let there be rock" where Bon Scott was at the pulpit dressed as a minister.

I thought I would start this thread for the simple purpose of allowing people to air their spiritual and religious interpretations of mainstream or secular songs. Some secular songs have a deeper understanding of religious matters than explicitly Christian songs, sometimes there is a dual meaning and sometimes they are completely misinterpreted to speak of God/religion when they are using religious symbolism as metaphor for something else.

Deeper religious meanings in lyrics sell out concerts and sell records...well, mp3s. :-)

I really don't listen to this song very often, but the lyrics are good.  It's a classic by The Temptations, but I thought I'd post the Love and Rockets version (from 1985, and it really shows).  Btw, great thread, afireinside.  

Ball of Confusion:

People movin' out 
People movin' in
Why, because of the color of their skin
Run, run, run, but you sho' can't hide
An eye for an eye
A tooth for a tooth
Vote for me, and I'll set you free
Rap on brother, rap on
Well, the only person talkin'
'Bout love thy brother is the preacher
And it seems,
Nobody is interested in learnin'
But the teacher
Segregation, determination, demonstration,
Integration, aggravation,
Humiliation, obligation to our nation
Ball of Confusion
That's what the world is today

The sale of pills are at an all time high
Young folks walk around with 
Their heads in the sky
Cities aflame in the summer time
And, the beat goes on

Air pollution, revolution, gun control,
Sound of soul
Shootin' rockets to the moon
Kids growin' up too soon
Politicians say more taxes will
Solve everything
And the band played on
So round 'n' round 'n' round we go
Where the world's headed, nobody knows
Just a Ball of Confusion
Oh yea, that's what the wold is today

Fear in the air, tension everywhere
Unemployment rising fast, 
The Beatles' new record's a gas
And the only safe place to live is
On an indian reservation
And the band played on
Eve of destruction, tax deduction
City inspectors, bill collectors
Mod clothes in demand,
Population out of hand
Suicide, too many bills, hippies movin' 
To the hills
People all over the world, are shoutin'
End the war
And the band played on.

Copyright 1970 Jobete Music Company, Inc.

Guest afireinside

Deeper religious meanings in lyrics sell out concerts and sell records...well, mp3s. :-)

Do you think the symbolism of religious imagery or themes is attractive to non-religious people or just a bid to appeal to the religious minded fans?

Is it the fact a lot of the time the artist themselves comes from a religious upbringing that they find it easy to use religion as a way of making song content without actually believing it personally?

I'm thinking the likes of Lemmy from Motörhead who came from a strict religious background, his father was a minister yet he writes a lot of songs that are anti-religious but with strong Christian lyrical content.

There's plenty of others like him. Katy Perry slips in the odd angel/Heaven/believe reference in her lyrics which doesn't surprise me when she is an ex-fundamental Christian herself.

I remember when the song Show Me What I'm Looking For, by Carolina Liar came out in 2009.  I was struggling to hold on to my relationship with jesus, but I wasn't hearing anything back.  The lyrics really summed up what it felt like:

Wait, I'm wrong
Should have done better than this
Please, I'll be strong
I'm finding it hard to resist
So show me what I'm looking for

Save me, I'm lost
Oh, Lord, I've been waiting for you
I'll pay any cost
Save me from being confused
Show me what I'm looking for
Show me what I'm looking for, oh, Lord

Don't let go