Goodbye Jesus

Heaven Is For Real: The Movie

megasamurai

What are everyone's thoughts on this movie?

0 interest in seeing it.  Seems exploitative, more than most religious films.

*groan*

It's embarrassing to say 8 years ago I would have gone to see this and taken it completely seriously.  I saw the trailer.  It's like a Hallmark Channel movie or a Reader's Digest issue.  Everything's sunshine.  Everything works out ok. If I wanted that kind of movie I'd rent Pollyanna. There is such a thing as evil in the world and Heaven is For Real comes from the heart of evil.  If there is a Satan, he has inspired this drivel.  It is a feel-good lie that denies the painful reality we are living in, and the fact that endings are not always happy, and holy books are not always honest. 

Too many religious movies being produced recently in my opinion.

Seems like they're coming out of the woodwork everywhere.

• Like 3

My thoughts? It sounds like a boring movie, based on a written propaganda piece.

I highly doubt that the events in the book of the same title happened as described. It seems likely that the boy's father made up the story and the boy probably just went along for the ride because Jesus on a rainbow-colored horse would sound so magical to an impressionable child, who'd be willing to believe everything his parents told him to believe.

I actually read the book when I was still a Christian. I don't really know what to think... Supposedly the kid sees his grandfather in heaven (grandpa died before kid was born) and recognizes him in a picture of when he was a young man when he comes back to life, so in heaven everyone is young and beautiful. lol idk..... The book was written on the basis of what the kid told his dad after his death experience, so it was written as a record of true facts... Now that I think back on it, it was probably fabricated, based on what I've read about hallucinations and such you can have when your body is dying. 

Human beings have the capacity for quite an imagination.  Mine goes toward the dark side, and not pollyanna "all will be right in the end" sort of thoughts.  Seems delusional. Think I will skip this and all other Christian or Bible based nonsense the movie producers think will haul in big bucks.

No interest in seeing it either.

I actually have a copy of the book up in my room from my Christian days. Basically, this kid experiences the "unexplainable." It's just propaganda as always. I personally attribute it to hyperbole, hallucination, exploitation, making up memories (that's a thing), forgetting old details that would explain certain stuff, selective omission, and plain old deception. 

Whenever this kind of stuff freaks me out too much, I remember that kids from all over the world have supposedly seen their god telling them that their specific religion is the only right one. Even if one of these kids DID experience the real thing, that means the thousands of stories you hear on a regular basis are all complete bullshit. Being atheistic, is it that hard to believe that all of them are B.S., then?