Goodbye Jesus

Dan Barker's Easter Challenge

Aggie

"The scriptures were not dictated word for word by God." -- ironhorse

That kills it for me right there.  If god wanted to be clear, he WOULD have dictated it word for word, simply and clearly, to one intelligent person, and with no contradictions.  Or better yet, god would have just made a complete, succinct, perfect bible appear which would have made sense to everybody hearing it or reading it.

But no....

I'm just the opposite. I'm glad God did not throw golden plates from the sky

all perfect and shiny.

He chose people to help tell the story and message. I agree, it makes things

a bit messy at times, but the message got through.

Yup.  Got right through to anyone willing to throw away their brains and become like unquestioning children and anyone who happened to be born in the right community.  Fuck those of us who dare use our brains or who happen to be born into a Muslim/Buddhist/Hindu/fill in the blank community.  We get to burn. 

Good system that. 

• Like 1

That kills it for me right there.  If god wanted to be clear, he WOULD have dictated it word for word, simply and clearly, to one intelligent person, and with no contradictions.  Or better yet, god would have just made a complete, succinct, perfect bible appear which would have made sense to everybody hearing it or reading it.

But no....

all perfect and shiny.

You mean Islam, right?

There is only one God and Mohamid is His prophet.

Of course that is the message you mean.  The message got through.

But no....

all perfect and shiny.

So, basically... your god is a complete idiot.

But no....

all perfect and shiny.

If "the message got through," then why can't Christians agree on what that message is? Why do they fundamentally disagree on where authority is housed (in scripture? in the church? in individuals? in power structures?), on how one is saved (faith alone? works alone? some mixture? baptism required or optional?), on what happens after death (immediate judgment? future judgment? salvation for a few? for many? for all, eventually?), on the miraculous (miracles in the past but not now? miracles now? miracles were always just metaphors?), on morality (contraception ok? homosexuality? women preaching?), etc etc?

Seems like a pretty muddled message.

• Like 3

But no....

all perfect and shiny.

That message being...

"Ironhorse! 

Answer ALL the questions put to you in this forum! 

Do this NOW and don't expect others to answer your questions, NOW."

Here endeth the lesson.

I found it rather interesting re-reading mathew that the ROMAN soldiers reported to the JEWISH high priests rather than their ROMAN commanders. Hmmmmmm

• Like 1

I say with all sincerity that I think Ironhorse is fairly reasonable as Christians go.  The problem is not with his particular take on Christianity-- but rather that all of his brainpower is captive to some nonsensical ideas that are foundational to his thought system.  (Sorry for being so blunt, Ironhorse!)  I would say that he won't allow himself to evaluate religion in the same way that he does everything else in life.  I can't say that I did any better that he is doing when I was a Christian-- there are surely many that do much worse...

To me it all goes back to really asking and answering the serious, fundamental questions.  Are any of the traditional forms of Christianity really reasonable positions?  Are they in any way probable or likely?  Can a person really act with humility and honesty with their own selection of Christian metaphysical beliefs, knowing that there are so many thousands who call upon the same supposed sources and come to such radically different conclusions?  (Not to mention all of the other religions out there who call upon similar non-verifiable and speculative sources and forces.)  Is confidence an honest position when all the evidence is speculative and non-verifiable?  Doesn't human limitation when coupled with such unverifiability and diversity of thought cry out to accept what is both (in many ways) obvious yet so deeply distasteful to the human mind--  namely, that people are extremely unreliable when they make claims about the cosmic and metaphysical; and there is something deeply troubling in the different types of Christian, Muslim, Zoroastrian, Jain, Buddhist (etc) religions that suggest that people will be tormented for doubting things which they should in all honesty doubt.

But no....

all perfect and shiny.

That message being...

"Ironhorse! 

Answer ALL the questions put to you in this forum! 

Do this NOW and don't expect others to answer your questions, NOW."

Here endeth the lesson.

Don't worry.

I will try to answer all of them.