Goodbye Jesus

Headcovering Movement

xtify

I posted this on another thread, but I don't think it got noticed (or maybe it is just uninteresting, I don't know).  There is a growing trend in christianity to require that women cover their heads in public, again:  http://www.headcoveringmovement.com.   A co-worker of mine is now into it.  

What do people make of this?  It is becoming more mainstream and it concerns me.  Another generation of women will be taught to feel ashamed of their own bodies.  It wasn't so long ago that a woman could be sexually assaulted without the perpetrator being prosecuted just because she was immodestly dressed.  As a woman, it makes me pretty damn mad to be told my hair is offending god and causing the angels to lust.  Sometimes I wonder if this is all just a bad dream.  Has anyone else noticed this trend?    

300x300-main.jpg              d0870f66c0276fc5e21b09c04b0175c5.jpg

501799652169921613_1369367676.jpg   1794530_591832747577396_1010337524_n.jpg

Fucking stupid beyond belief.

Another way to put women down AND sell shit at the same time so a xian company can make a profit.  Look at the Featured Tweet on the site:

My #garlandsofgrace #headcovering (s) came in today!! I love these. I think I got 6 of them http://instagram.com/p/lqPC6VQImY/ 

6:08 PM - 17 Mar 2014"

Obviously, she bought these, and thinks these are pretty and make her look nice.  Doesn't that seem like the opposite of being submissive?

She's being vain, sending money to a xian company, another loop in the insane pretzel-logic of their thinking.

For those who live to appease some human religious leader God, it probably makes them happy. For those of us who are independent thinkers, this kind of idea makes little sense. 

Too bad someone cant find a scripture somewhere that has Paul saying, "A fine Godly woman shall always carry a bowling ball upon her fingers in public...." :-)

Another way to put women down AND sell shit at the same time so a xian company can make a profit.  Look at the Featured Tweet on the site:

My #garlandsofgrace #headcovering (s) came in today!! I love these. I think I got 6 of them http://instagram.com/p/lqPC6VQImY/ 

Obviously, she bought these, and thinks these are pretty and make her look nice.  Doesn't that seem like the opposite of being submissive?

She's being vain, sending money to a xian company, another loop in the insane pretzel-logic of their thinking.

I noticed that tweet too.  I wonder if they now carry these headcoverings in christian bookstores?

For those who live to appease some human religious leader God, it probably makes them happy. For those of us who are independent thinkers, this kind of idea makes little sense. 

Too bad someone cant find a scripture somewhere that has Paul saying, "A fine Godly woman shall always carry a bowling ball upon her fingers in public...." :-)

Haha, midniterider, very funny!  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

I noticed that tweet too.  I wonder if they now carry these headcoverings in christian bookstores?

Oh, *sigh*, I am so sure they are either there or on the way . . . .  You just know that if a woman showed up at church with an old faded purple bandana on her head looking like Axl Rose, she would be shunned.  Nope, must buy a new "approved" one.

Wendybanghead.gif

Praise the almighty dollar!

^^^ Amateur, that is far too revealing. The purple bandana would show too much hair.  A godly woman wouldn't want to chance showing too much hair. It might cause an angel to masturbate.  biggrin.png

• Like 1

^^At age 50, I am so unconcerned with angels masturbating over me, not that I'm not hot, it's just I'm old enough to appreciate the attention.   HEY WAIT!!!! Is there where rain comes from?  Now I want to go to church just to ask that question!!!!

"Another way to put women down"  Amateur

Yeah, but what's more disturbing is that these woman let this happen to them. Maybe they will demand all men be circumcised. and prove it by show and tell in front of the congregation.   bill

• Like 2

^^I would so go to church that day!  There will be more than angels masturbating, for sure!

That is an awesome idea, bill!  I'm going to start the "Pure Penis Movement" this weekend!

• Like 2

So they FINALLY admit it for the first time since the Victorians: woman was "created for the man."

Fucking. Bullshit.

I think this is a good thing. It will help me easily identify those who have screwy beliefs and can't think for themselves.

• Like 1

So they FINALLY admit it for the first time since the Victorians: woman was "created for the man."

Fucking. Bullshit.

Yeah, there's a growing number of fundies that have no qualms with admitting that. It really isn't any different than it was before, they just stick the word "relevant" on it and it's modern.  bwahahah. 

I think this is a good thing. It will help me easily identify those who have screwy beliefs and can't think for themselves.

Hmmm, never thought of that.  But what about all the kids growing up who are forced to wear headcoverings now, and feel ashamed of their bodies?  Also, after a few decades, it might not be a choice anymore (atleast in the US) if the fundies continue with their political agenda.

"Another way to put women down"  Amateur

Yeah, but what's more disturbing is that these woman let this happen to them. Maybe they will demand all men be circumcised. and prove it by show and tell in front of the congregation.   bill

Not all the women choose this.  Many are raised that way and their parents teach them shame from a young age.  I agree with you Bill, that it is more despicable that the monotheisms require circumcision.  I don't know if men are shamed for having penises, though.  Not as a movement.  I'm not sure if it is quite the same, since you would have to show someone your penis. But, how can you hide your head in public (the other one, I mean)?

• Like 2

The women in the OP image look so sad and bored.  Also, is it just a coincidence that they used brown paper bag as the background for some of their graphic design?  

• Like 1

God created a universe that is over 26 billion light years across.  But God really cares about you wearing a hat in public.

Wait, do Angels watch women who are in the shower?  Should women wear hats in the bathtub?

• Like 2

God created a universe that is over 26 billion light years across.  But God really cares about you wearing a hat in public.

Wait, do Angels watch women who are in the shower?  Should women wear hats in the bathtub?

In the shower, they should wear paper bags over their heads GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

"Not all the women choose this.  Many are raised that way and their parents teach them shame from a young age."   Xtify

Yeah, those are truly victims. But there are both men and women who become Xtians after a college education (not a bible college) who become Xtians and buy into its ridiculous rules and rituals when they ought to know better. They are a mystery to me.

That's the kind of woman I'm talking about who, despite their education, let themselves be convinced that they should wear something on their heads to be submissive. That's stupid. bill

"Not all the women choose this.  Many are raised that way and their parents teach them shame from a young age."   Xtify

Yeah, those are truly victims. But there are both men and women who become Xtians after a college education (not a bible college) who become Xtians and buy into its ridiculous rules and rituals when they ought to know better. They are a mystery to me.

That's the kind of woman I'm talking about who, despite their education, let themselves be convinced that they should wear something on their heads to be submissive. That's stupid. bill

I can only imagine why someone would choose submission from a freethinking position.  To me that would be a mystery, too. But I think it's more likely that most of the women that get taken by christianity have some issue with shame.  Christianity comes along with a reason why you are feeling it.  It gives you a program to follow and promises you rewards.  It seems to offer an intimate friend and a community of people as support.  I think that is why people fall for it.  

I'm a part of the head covering movement too very sensible...between the end of November to about the middle of March that is. Its usually too damn cold in the winter, freeze my ears off. Oh wait...wow. Well, at least they will have something to talk about with their Muslim counterparts, maybe share some fashion tips or something. Would anybody else be mistaking these woman for Muslims?

• Like 2

I'm a part of the head covering movement too very sensible...between the end of November to about the middle of March that is. Its usually too damn cold in the winter, freeze my ears off. Oh wait...wow. Well, at least they will have something to talk about with their Muslim counterparts, maybe share some fashion tips or something. Would anybody else be mistaking these woman for Muslims?

Me too, Seeing how it's cold 8 months of the year here.  But not because I feel like gawduh is going to puke from seeing my disgusting hairy head.  

This was funny:

Charles-Spurgeon-01reload.jpg

I come from a Mennonite church where women all wear the head covering. I was always mystified about that reference to the angels. It's in 1 Cor. 11:10. I mean, what do the angels have to do with it? 

In Verse 13 Paul says to "judge for yourselves" whether or not it's decent for a woman to come before God uncovered, but in Verse 6 he says if it's a shame for a woman to cut her hair she should cover it. And then he argues that nature itself teaches that men should have short hair (Verse 14) and a woman long hair (Verse 15). 

All of this sounds so utterly subjective. If nature is given its way, all humans--men and women--have long hair. That's just what happens if you don't cut it. There is no evidence for the existence of angels so they don't play into the situation at all. So the argument from nature makes zero sense, as well as the argument re angels. 

In Western culture, it is NOT a shame for a woman to cut her hair. Since this is not shameful, there is zero need for a woman to cover her head. As for coming before God covered or uncovered--first we need evidence for the existence of such an entity. 

But when the weather gets too cold or too hot, I cover my head for protection from the elements as do a great many other people, as pointed out by seeker above. As for religious head coverings--that just fits in with all the other returns to fundamentalism in recent decades. I do not see it as a good sign for society.

• Like 2

This makes me feel sad.  Just another way to oppress women, involving women themselves lapping it up.

This makes me feel sad.  Just another way to oppress women, involving women themselves lapping it up.

If that's what it takes to get you inside the pearly gates, one can always do as women have always done and wear a head covering. That seems to be the reasoning behind it--it's one of the easy things. Some kind of magic to ward off evil...I dunno. I've heard enough stories to that effect. For example, there's the story of the man who confesses to a young woman who was traveling that he wanted to rape her but didn't know what to do with the thing on her head so he let her go. Whether that ever happened I don't know but it gets repeated a lot and causes young Mennonite and Amish women to put a lot of faith in their head coverings, thinking they are safe in public if they have their heads covered. On the other hand, we have all these stories of shootings in Amish schools so it seems the head covering is a false sense of safety. Those young girls' lives were not saved because they were wearing head coverings.

I suppose I'm coming at this from a totally different perspective from everyone else but I've had to personally work my way into and out of it....I struggled with the passage in Corinthians since I was about twelve years old living in a community that said only married women should have their heads covered while Paul seemed to say all women should. It was so confusing. Then I joined the modern Mennonites where women cut their hair and I had to re-evaluate things again....