Goodbye Jesus

Headcovering Movement

xtify

• Super Moderator

Russian women have always covered their heads for church.  They look more like Muslims that christians, in my opinion.

I may have an anger aneurysm. I need to step away.

And I also suddenly feel the urge to put on a really revealing outfit.

• Like 4

As for religious head coverings--that just fits in with all the other returns to fundamentalism in recent decades. I do not see it as a good sign for society.

Me neither.  If fundamentalists continue to gain political control, they might make headcovering for women in public mandatory, like in some muslim countries.  I don't want that to happen.  I have kids and I want them to enjoy living in a society that values a certain amount of personal choice, not one that values conformity.  It doesn't look like this coming any time soon, but these fundies are power hungry mofos that are taking over the government.

Among the Brethren head covering in the church is pretty standard practice.  The interpretation of the Corinthians passage is that it's to do with "covering glories".  The woman is the glory of the man; her hair is her covering; however, her hair is her glory.  Therefore that also must be covered.  Therefore, only the bare headed and short haired man is "uncovered", being the representation of god's glory.  The angels appreciate seeing a symbolic supremacy of the glory of god.

By and large, the women in these churches accept this in the same way as they accept that they "keep silent".  However, in fairness to them, the "long hair" issue tends to be very much a matter of individual interpretation (how long is long...?) and I've never known them take the idea of a head covering outside of the church (although I think some exclusives might do so).

The reason they accept the practice is the same reason that some would accept a practice of head covering in public - because they believe it.  There are none so blind as those who will not see.

I agree this is a worrying development - but I'm not exactly surprised that some women follow this practice of public covering, just as some Muslim women seem to want to wrap themselves in blankets with eye-holes.  it's just another aspect of irrationality.

The real problem will be if there is an attempt to force this idea of morality upon the public generally.

"Anger aneurysm." Yeah, that about sums it up. 

In Verse 13 Paul says to "judge for yourselves" whether or not it's decent for a woman to come before God uncovered, but in Verse 6 he says if it's a shame for a woman to cut her hair she should cover it. And then he argues that nature itself teaches that men should have short hair (Verse 14) and a woman long hair (Verse 15). 

All of this sounds so utterly subjective. If nature is given its way, all humans--men and women--have long hair. That's just what happens if you don't cut it. There is no evidence for the existence of angels so they don't play into the situation at all. So the argument from nature makes zero sense, as well as the argument re angels. 

But Samson was NOT ALLOWED to cut his hair and his long hair gave him magical powers of strength.  And when his hair got cut, he LOST his powers.

What is the POINT of ANY of this?  WHAT does it MEAN?  How the heck does LONG HAIR give someone (but ONLY SAMSON, most definitely not women who do not cut their hair) super powers?  

Insanity aneurysm time!!!!!

• Like 1

^^^^ Samson, and don't forget about this guy:

sacredheartjesus.jpg

1 Corinthians 11:14:

Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

sacredheartjesus.jpg

Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

That's the work of artists but the Christians worship it and Paul condemns it.eek.gif

sacredheartjesus.jpg

That's the work of artists but the Christians worship it and Paul condemns it.eek.gif

If Jesus existed, and if he took the Nazarite vow, he would have vowed to never let a razor touch his head (as in never cut his hair or shave).  But, no one knows for sure what he looked like (or if he was a real man).

"Not all the women choose this.  Many are raised that way and their parents teach them shame from a young age."   Xtify

Yeah, those are truly victims. But there are both men and women who become Xtians after a college education (not a bible college) who become Xtians and buy into its ridiculous rules and rituals when they ought to know better. They are a mystery to me.

That's the kind of woman I'm talking about who, despite their education, let themselves be convinced that they should wear something on their heads to be submissive. That's stupid. bill

I know personally 5 women who have this way of thinking. They are college graduated and they do take the words *obey your husband* literally. They defer major decisions in lives to their husbands and they told me they don't mind at all and they are actually happy because of it. One of them said it actually made her life easier as she didn't have to think about difficult stuff. Three of them don't mind obeying their husbands because, in my opinion, they are all fortunate to have the nice, mild type husbands. Two of them have husbands who are the alpha type and also not so nice, however they still believe to obey their husbands. All of them don't care about financial decisions, mortgage, health insurance.

That's it. America is now officially becoming a third world country.  :P

Russian women have always covered their heads for church.  They look more like Muslims that christians, in my opinion.

I'd say the difference here is they only do so when visiting the church like others visit a museum -- they cover there heads temporarily out of respect for the church rules.  If I understand correctly there are some women being discussed here who cover there heads any time they go out in public just like a Muslim.  That's a whole new level of cra-cra. (sorry, I watched Tyler Perry yesterday)

I may have an anger aneurysm. I need to step away.

And I also suddenly feel the urge to put on a really revealing outfit.

Well heck, if we can get a good backlash movement going that encourages the ladies to show more skin, this may not be such a bad thing after all. :)

All of them don't care about financial decisions, mortgage, health insurance.

So what happens if the husband gets hit by a bus? How the hell can anyone be okay with being in the dark like that?

I recall my dad telling me about my neighbors who were elderly when I was a kid...she didn't drive and relied on him to drive her everywhere. They apparently had different political beliefs, and he refused to drive her to vote therefore she never did. Even as a kid I knew that was fucked up old school thinking.

And more on topic, I attended a funeral a few years ago for the father of someone I know, and they are some branch of Baptist. The leader (not sure what they're called) was going on about how he and his wife were such a great couple, and how she came to church every Sunday wearing her hat and submitted to her husband like a proper Baptist woman...ugh. To be praised for it like that...I felt angered for her.

I'd say the difference here is they only do so when visiting the church like others visit a museum -- they cover there heads temporarily out of respect for the church rules.  If I understand correctly there are some women being discussed here who cover there heads any time they go out in public just like a Muslim.  That's a whole new level of cra-cra. (sorry, I watched Tyler Perry yesterday)

There seems to be a debate about whether headcovering is just for public worship, or for in public.  The issue is addressed on the site in the OP here: http://www.headcoveringmovement.com/articles/can-head-covering-be-limited-to-church-if-the-arguments-paul-uses-apply-at-all-times

It seems that some 'relevant' fundies, along with the more traditional christian denominations like amish and mennonite, feel that the command is for all of the time.  Others believe it is just for worship.  

The extra-spiritual choice seems to be to cover all the time.  The reason is that Paul also commands them to 'pray without ceasing' and the head has to be covered when praying.

You can still look like a cool, christian hipster though, as seen here:

4e0d343a4aa153178550b10e4870a467.jpg

"Links of beautiful coverings for adult women. Frumpiness is NOT necessary for obedience"

Source: http://www.pinterest.com/headcovering/lovely-coverings-for-ladies/

headcoverings; totally unattractive and unsexy.just looked at a  site which had pics of women with coverings they had bought,i couldn't get even a semi for any of them.

So what happens if the husband gets hit by a bus?

they'll get kinsmen redeemed by the kinsmen redeemer movement.

headcoverings; totally unattractive and unsexy.just looked at a  site which had pics of women with coverings they had bought,i couldn't get even a semi for any of them.

Well, beauty is said to be in the eye of the beholder.  You and I agree, but Martin Luther would disagree:

Martin-Luther-3.jpg

So what happens if the husband gets hit by a bus?

they'll get kinsmen redeemed by the kinsmen redeemer movement.

Haha!  Yeah, they could marry their brother-in-law or something.  Because that would be better than being independent.

sacredheartjesus.jpg

And just to add to the confusion:

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
— Exodus 20:4-6 (KJV)
  • Like 1

So what happens if the husband gets hit by a bus? How the hell can anyone be okay with being in the dark like that?

They told me they will worry about those decisions when time comes. They are lucky that they have the brain power to understand all those stuff in short time.

They told me they will worry about those decisions when time comes. They are lucky that they have the brain power to understand all those stuff in short time.

Cool, well that just about sums up the intelligence level necessary to be good with having your head in the sand. All you need is faith right?

Side note...even though I think the entire headcovering movement is completely ludicrous, I wonder why they seem to be half assing it. If you're going to cover your hair and make a big deal about it, then cover your hair. Don't put a tiny piece of translucent lace that's barely wider than a headband on and get all smug about it. The Muslims would be ashamed.

Question, would wearing a bandana count? What about a baseball cap? What about a hoodie?

Technically, the above meets the condition of having the head covered.

We should start an 'ASS UNCOVERING MOVEMENT'...

Every time we see one of these retarded bitches wearing this shit, we just fucking moon them!

Sound like a plan, peeps?