Goodbye Jesus

*sneeze* "bless You" . . . ?

amateur

Ok, this isn't earth-shattering.

But since being more involved in this site, and finding myself more and more offended at xianity and religion, I find this makes me pause every time it happens.

Somebody sneezes.

A lifetime of saying "god bless you" or "bless you" immediately makes you say one or the other.

Now, when somebody sneezes, I stop and mentally trip and think, "What should I say?"

If I'm in a group, I can ignore it, as somebody else will say it.

But if I'm alone with the person, it seems rude not to say it.  But that's so WEIRD because it doesn't MEAN anything.  I think it came about because way long ago people thought that when you sneezed, a demon popped out or could pop into you, so they were blessing you against demon infection.  

I mean, sometimes it's easy.  If somebody does a HUGE sneeze, I can look at them and go, "Wow!  That was impressive!"  But I'm talking about a normal sneeze.

Does anybody else have this problem?  Can anyone from another country relate to this?  Or is this some weird United States custom?  Am I seriously over-thinking this?  

Help me out here!  Give me some ideas!  

The basic "gesundheit" still works!

• Like 4

I do say "bless you" out of habit.  It doesn't mean anything but it's a custom.  Pantophobia is right.

It makes me feel awkward, too, because I don't want to say "bless you", or "god bless you".  I also can't quite muster a "gesundheit" for whatever reason.  I just sort of mumble "bless you" now.  

I will say, though, that even as a christian, I felt awkward saying it.  I always felt the pressure to say it and that was the awkward part.  Everytime someone sneezed, it was like an opportunity to witness for jesus or something.

Google-Dane Cook "sneezing atheist" hilarious!!

One of my favorites ever (that and the B&E, lol).

Most countries I've been to seem to have a form of the phrase 'to your health' when someone sneezes.  I believe that's what the German Gesundheit! means.  Spanish speakers say 'Salut!' (IIRC), Italians say Salute!.  Russians say Bustorovia or Nostorovia. 

So, perhaps just say 'To your health!'

Guest afireinside

One of my favorites ever (that and the B&E, lol).

Yeah I'd go for some B&E right now!

I have never lived in the US so didn't know people say "god bless you". I'm used to only "bless you". Bless on its own is a fairly innocuous word, like when a baby does something cute, people might say "aw, bless" and it has no particular religious connotations, for me anyway.

• Super Moderator

I mentioned this the other day on a different tread.  I've gotten into the habit of saying "Science save you" when somebody sneezes.  I get some weird looks, but it's more accurate.

amateur, you could say, "no, bless you!"

I don't say anything when someone says that.  I hate that.  I'm not going to thank someone for something I didn't want or need to hear unless it can be sarcasm aimed at them.

I like the Spanish version:

*one sneeze*   - Salud! (Health!)

*second sneeze*  - Dinero! (Money!)

*third sneeze* - Amor! (Love!)

It's a kind of cute, fortune-telling with sneezing fits / wishing good things on people.

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

It's a kind of cute, fortune-telling with sneezing fits / wishing good things on people.

I really like that and will try to remember it next time I'm around someone who sneezes.  If they sneeze more than 3 times, I'll jokingly say "Whoa..still got your brain in there?  You didn't sneeze it out, didya?" *

*I did that with my kids and now with my grandkids -- followed by a peek in their ear.    They've all gotten a kick out of it.  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

rather than say anything, just give him/her a tissue

much more useful (to clean) than bless you

• Like 1

This is great! I've been trying to learn Spanish, so this is a good way to incorporate the language in my daily life.

As to the question at hand, I've always been partial to to the response suggested on 'Seinfeld': You are so good looking!

"Are you contagious?"

Seriously, I now say the same thing to a sneeze I say to a fart... nothing at all. 

But since being more involved in this site, and finding myself more and more offended at xianity and religion, I find this makes me pause every time it happens.

Somebody sneezes.

A lifetime of saying "god bless you" or "bless you" immediately makes you say one or the other.

Now, when somebody sneezes, I stop and mentally trip and think, "What should I say?"

But if I'm alone with the person, it seems rude not to say it.  But that's so WEIRD because it doesn't MEAN anything.  I think it came about because way long ago people thought that when you sneezed, a demon popped out or could pop into you, so they were blessing you against demon infection.  

I mean, sometimes it's easy.  If somebody does a HUGE sneeze, I can look at them and go, "Wow!  That was impressive!"  But I'm talking about a normal sneeze.

Does anybody else have this problem?  Can anyone from another country relate to this?  Or is this some weird United States custom?  Am I seriously over-thinking this?  

GOD BLESS YOU IN THE NAME OF THE RISEN SAVIOR AND LORD JESUS!!

• Like 1

Somebody sneezes.

GAWD BLESS YOU IN THE MAGICAL SKY NAME OF OUR MAGICALLY UNDEADENED LARD AND SLAVER JESUS KRYASST, LARD OF OF THE SKY KINGDOM AND THE WHOLE SMALL, THREE-TIERED BIBLICAL UNIVERSE! GLORY!

• Like 1

This varies by country and culture.  The Japanese don't say anything at all.  It seems a little bit strange when you first get to Japan, but soon it's no more strange than someone not saying a special phrase after you cough or anything else like that.

I don't say "god bless you" because there came a point where I thought that was just too flagrant a nod to the christian god and superstition, but I do say "bless you" occasionally, although tend to prefer "gesundheit."  Although my collection of known and verified atheist/agnostic friends and acquaintances is not large enough to draw any conclusions from, they also seem to say "bless you." 

I still say "bless you" because it's just a thing to do, even if it's superstitious. 

Funny sneeze story of the day: it was the first week of 4th grade and I was just getting to know my new math teacher. She was teaching us long division and in the middle of the lesson I started sneezing uncontrollably. The first couple of sneezes, she said "bless you", but by the time I had sneezed seven times in a row, she was glaring at me. Even worse, the entire class thought I was funny and started to fake sneeze to piss her off.

She had to stop the entire math lesson to tell everyone to shut up. For the next 2 weeks, she thought I was a troublemaker and refused to call on me in class. Being the goody two shoes that I was, I felt horrible! 49.gif

• Like 1

I'll look this up when I have a bit more time!

I mentioned this the other day on a different tread.  I've gotten into the habit of saying "Science save you" when somebody sneezes.  I get some weird looks, but it's more accurate.

I like this one!  But it's still weird we need saved from a sneeze!  It's such a weird custom to say something to a sneeze!  I remember in high school a few of us sat around one day and decided we were going to come up with a different phrase to say for every bodily noise.  

I really like this!!!!  Health, Money, Love!!!

GAWD BLESS YOU IN THE MAGICAL SKY NAME OF OUR MAGICALLY UNDEADENED LARD AND SLAVER JESUS KRYASST, LARD OF OF THE SKY KINGDOM AND THE WHOLE SMALL, THREE-TIERED BIBLICAL UNIVERSE! GLORY!

Brother Jeff, I am going to print this out and practice it until I have it memorized with appropriate passion and authority in my voice (AND I will stand and make expressive gestures!)!!!  By the time I hit the end with "GLORY!" I will be standing tall (perhaps atop a chair or table), hands raised to the sky, head thrown back, and my GLORY will ring to the heavens!!!!

Thank you ALL for your answers and stories (oh ye of the 7 sneezes!); this was entertaining and educational!

• Like 1

Bless the LARD, Sister! Glory! :)

This "bless you" does annoy me.  It may be petty, but I prefer not to respond at all. Just ignore the sneezer.  I would prefer that for myself also.