Goodbye Jesus

How Many Bibles Did You Have?

pratt

how many bibles did you folks in your christian walk have?

1, 2xpocket bible

2. 2x chinese leather bound bible (different size fonts)

3. 4xleather mid size bibles (NIV, 2xKJV, NASB)

4. 2xleather king size bible, probably weighs a ton each

5. 1x NT discovery bible

6. 1xCommentary bible

so. about 12 in all as far as i can remember, and all i believe have been used as burnt offerings in the incinerator.....

I've donated many, but I may still have ten or twenty.

4 I think. A couple of NIV's, KJV, devotional. Had many Christian books. I have throw them all away other than one leather bound NIV. That's in a closet somewhere.

I think we are down to 4 or 5.

When I was a Christian it was at least a dozen.

Off the top of my head, a couple of KJVs, an NIV, ESV, The Message, Japanese/English Bible, Serbian Bible and pretty much every translation known to man on my PC. But in physical terms, I'd say about 8-10 all of which I still have.

My buddy, still an xian, had some color scheme he'd worked out and had gone through his entire Bible underlining and highlighting nearly every verse in different colors. It was very beautiful mind.

Two, both became kindling

• Super Moderator

Only one.  As a True BelieverTM, I only needed one portal from which god could speak.  More than one bible was simply idolatrous.

• A King James Version, which I bought before I realized that my sect had a different canon.
  • A New World Translation (Jehovah's Witnesses), given to me by my aunt.
  • A New American Buybull (Roman Catholic) which I bought after learning that the KJV was inadequate for my sect. After it fell apart due to extensive use, I replaced it.
  • Thousands, perhaps millions, of those little Gideons KJV New Testaments that were handed to me on the streets over the decades.
  • There is also a children's illustrated Buybull from my childhood, which seems to have somehow found its way onto a dusty shelf in the bedroom I currently occupy. I have not looked at it since reading grown-up Buybulls, but one of these days I'm going to crack it open to see how it handles the rapes and genocides.

In addition to the Buybulls, I've owned other religious texts over the ages:

• Exposition of the Divine Principle (Unification Church). Book was discarded during a move, but it's available for free on-line.
  • Dianetics (Church of Scientology), which I bought as ransom so those fuckers would let me leave their compound. (Yeah, they tricked me, and I made the mistake of not running in the other direction as soon as I sensed who they were.) The harrassing phone calls and letters abated after a few months. Book was discarded, unread, during a move, but they'll be happy to sell me another one should the thetans move me.
  • A Quwr'ong, which I bought just for the edification. If it wasn't in the box of books that was attacked by termites, then it's still around here somewhere.
  • [edit]Since Miekko has gone there, I also have The C Programming Language.
  • ...And Stoustrup's The C++ Programming Language.[/edit]

Guest Marty

My buddy, still an xian, had some color scheme he'd worked out and had gone through his entire Bible underlining and highlighting nearly every verse in different colors. It was very beautiful mind.

I've thought about doing the same thing with a fresh bible, but color coding the verses that speak of murder or genocide, rape, child abuse, and general illogic so I could find relevant verses quicker and "improvise" in debates.  But my bibles (1 RSV and 1 KJV 1 Tanauch (Hebrew OT) 1 Book of Mormon and 1 Koran) are literally packed away in a box in the back of a closet in my parents house, so they wouldn't do me much good in an impromptu debate.

For anyone here who may be interested, I do know from experience that bibles make good kindling for fires.  They burn real slow.  I recommend tearing the pages out though, because they tend to stick together, not getting much oxygen, and go out.  But if you tear them out and crumple them into balls, they burn for a long time.  

Thats how I got rid of a few of my extra bibles a couple of years ago, I didn't want to donate them or have someone come across them.   Precious Moments bible from childhood and 2 Good News bibles that I liked as a kid cause I liked the style of the stick figure pictures, but in adulthood I found the translations to be simplistic and childlike.

Several - one bible in a three volume set with late 19th century Swedish commentaries as well as the deuterocanonical apocrypha, a Jewish Tanach (ArtScroll, with Hebrew masoretic text), a Jewish Chumash (artscroll, with hebrew masoretic and one of the aramaic targums), a Swedish Bible (translation of 1917 + 'carefully updated NT of 1981 or somesuch), a Finnish Bible (don't recall the year of translation, but more recent than the Swedish one), a few NTs (one of which pretends to be a translation but is actually a paraphrase), the four gospels in Russian. In addition my girlfriend has the Bibel 2000 translation, which was translated by a committee appointed by the Swedish government to provide a scholarly text that is as unaffected by dogma as possible, which I do sometimes consult.

On my computers and external backup disks, there's the entire Talmud in Aramaic + Hebrew as well as English.

I also bought a Quran (Finnish translation) and a Book of Mormon (English) while still a Christian.

Currently, I am about to get myself a Jehovah's Witness version (Swedish, iirc) for comparative purposes. I am also considering getting a copy of the Sikhs' Sri Guru Granth Sahib. I wouldn't mind having a printed edition of the Nag Hammadi stuff, nor various mesopotamian/iranian gnostic scriptures.

I also have Dennis Ritchie's The C Programming Language.

I've thought about doing the same thing with a fresh bible, but color coding the verses that speak of murder or genocide, rape, child abuse, and general illogic so I could find relevant verses quicker and "improvise" in debates.  But my bibles (1 RSV and 1 KJV 1 Tanauch (Hebrew OT) 1 Book of Mormon and 1 Koran) are literally packed away in a box in the back of a closet in my parents house, so they wouldn't do me much good in an impromptu debate.

The Skeptic's Annotated Bible has done this for the KJV, the Book of Moron, and the Quwr'ong.

Probably close to a dozen. I still have some of them. One is a "Children's Bible" that mom gave to me when I was a kid. Apparently I had asked for it for a gift - she wrote a note inside of the cover about always keep wanting God's word. I can't get rid of it because of the sentimental value. Then, there's the Bible that I read through that caused me to eventually leave faith - so I can't get rid of that. :) Then, there's my huge 4 version in one Bible that I can't get rid of either. Once in a great while, I still like to look at it to see what the different translations appear to be saying, so I can argue with someone on this site. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

• Like 1

Raised fundie, I got atleast one bible every Christmas.  They always came with my full name inscribed on the leather covers in silver or gold.  I remember early christmas morning, the weight and shape of the box was always a giveaway.  And I was always disappointed to find that I was right: it was a bible.  Worst gift ever, even when I believed it's contents.  

Oxford NSRV - this is the most "scholarly" popular version I'm aware of, with tons of footnotes that sometimes actually tell the truth

Tanakh by the Jewish Publication Society. - this is the most faithful translation to the Hebrew, the best part of course being no "New Testament." There are no footnotes, because they consume a separate volume by themselves, which is cumbersome.

King James Version by the Limited Editions Club - this is good because they did away with the chapter and verse numbers and just printed it in paragraphs like a normal book. Still, my least favorite translation, because of overuse by fundies who think Early Modern English makes them sound intelligent. 

... 2 Good News bibles that I liked as a kid cause I liked the style of the stick figure pictures, but in adulthood I found the translations to be simplistic and childlike.

I have a Good News bible too. It was my first bible, so I think I will keep it for the artwork and the sentimental value.

The artists name is Annie Vallotton. Here is link to an example:

http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-9b-d4/makinomasaki2281/folder/1478618/30/46230230/img_1?1169630806

I think I had 2 or 3 NIV bibles and an Orthodox bible and my Good News bible. But I kept giving them away or getting angry and throwing them away, so I usually only had a few at any given time. Now all I have is the Good News bible.

message bible, NIV, NKJV, KJV, New Living Translation, Gidians, Level 27 and the extended version, I forget its proper name. I had multiple copies of some translations too so in total I had around 12. only keep one on my shelf now, the NKJV for reference. Burning them sounds cathartic, I might give that a go. :)

The Skeptic's Annotated Bible has done this for the KJV, the Book of Moron, and the Quwr'ong.

someone needs to redo that with a little more scholarship though. A lot of their notes are quite weak.

About half a dozen standard edition NSVs, a pocket Bible, a pocket New Testament, a study Bible, a commentary Bible, and a couple apps on my phone.

Raised fundie, I got atleast one bible every Christmas.  They always came with my full name inscribed on the leather covers in silver or gold.  I remember early christmas morning, the weight and shape of the box was always a giveaway.  And I was always disappointed to find that I was right: it was a bible.  Worst gift ever, even when I believed it's contents.  

I gave my mom a Buybull for Christmas in 2004. She loved it. (I remember the year because it was the last Christmas before I deconverted.) I bought a Buybull as a present to myself that same year. (It was the replacement for the NAB that had fallen apart.) Less than a year before deconversion and I was still grasping at straws holding onto the faith.

Incidentally, my mom (who grew up Baptist) admits that I (who grew up Catholic) know the Buybull better than she does.

There is still one more Buybull on my gift list for the future, but the context will be religious (unlike Christmas).

• Like 1

Guest afireinside

I had 3 NIVs, a NKJV, a NASV, an NLT, a KJV, mild OCD, a mysterious STD, HIV(very positive IMHO), WCW, WWF and DDT wrestling versions, signed Michael Jordan NBA version, Updated CNN version, LSD version of book of revelation, oh and a Message Version(if that counts)

• Like 1

The only bible I own now is the Brick Testament.  My husband still has an old King James that his Grandfather gave him, but it was all he inheritted and, although I have whipped it accross the room a few times, I could never burn it due to its sentimentality.  Interestingly, it has some strange stains in the Songs of Solomon book... hahahah.

• Like 1

None.  If I need to refer to the Bible I do so online.

Guest afireinside

The only bible I own now is the Brick Testament. My husband still has an old King James that his Grandfather gave him, but it was all he inheritted and, although I have whipped it accross the room a few times, I could never burn it due to its sentimentality. Interestingly, it has some strange stains in the Songs of Solomon book... hahahah.

Just gut it of scripture, keep the cover and replace the pages with a copy of the Kama Sutra. Quoting each other Scripture at nights will be much more fulfilling.

• Like 1

ooh quite alot. I was a theological student and had finaly settled on the ESV as my preferred transaltion.i double bin bagged them one night a year or so after i deconverted then dropped them in the dumster.it was very cathartic.

as a christian i thought if i had some very nice,big leather bound bibles i would somehow transofrm into a realy studeious puritan christian and al my problems would be sorted.jesus! some fucking silly mind tricks you come up with as a christian eh?i was bloody mentally ill as a christian.

I bought one actually,my first in years during the winter.It was a much maligned New English Bible.It was the same one i had as a kid,tho its not  achilds boble.i like the line drawing illustrations in it.i have never read a bibe since i left theological colege and i had started deconvertung in my first year there.By my 4th  and final year i was living a total double life tho i think most folk inc the faculty proably knew i was deconverted by then but ti was kinda a 'don't as don't tell' understanding.I fifnally told my church history professor right at the end and he was very nice and understanding and said that it happened from time to time in the college.he sent me a nice email some time later and told me he had really enjoyed my essays and time as a student.he was defo one of the good christians tho i never met many.