Goodbye Jesus

How Many Bibles Did You Have?

pratt

The only bible I own now is the Brick Testament. My husband still has an old King James that his Grandfather gave him, but it was all he inheritted and, although I have whipped it accross the room a few times, I could never burn it due to its sentimentality. Interestingly, it has some strange stains in the Songs of Solomon book... hahahah.

Just gut it of scripture, keep the cover and replace the pages with a copy of the Kama Sutra. Quoting each other Scripture at nights will be much more fulfilling.

Yes, the kama sutra - which contains chapters on what kind of sex is best with slaves (who can't say no)

1x KJV loose leaf edition

1x KJV Newberry edition

1x KJV New Scofield edition

3x KJV plain texts

1x KJV centre-column reference edition

1x KJV & JND parallel edition

1x KJV miniature (it's about an inch long by 3/4 inch wide - a curiosity I was given years ago)

1x KJV New Testament

1x NKJV

1x JND

2x RSV

1x NIV

1x Good News

1x Jewish New Testament (a translation meant for Messianic Jews)

That's an awful lot of money down the drain...

1x KJV Newberry edition

3x KJV plain texts

1x KJV miniature (it's about an inch long by 3/4 inch wide - a curiosity I was given years ago)

1x KJV New Testament

1x NKJV

1x JND

2x RSV

1x NIV

1x Good News

hahaha,,,, at least you did not get those first or limited edition stuff,,,,,,

Boxes of them for giving away, several English versions for my own use, around 10 foreign language versions because I like languages, then an entire library of Christian books, tapes, and videos. Yep, I must have never REALLY been a Christian...

I had several!

KJV as a young kid (didn't understand a damn thing it said).

I was hooked on the NLT as a teenager.

Used the NIV as an adult.

NASB

ESV

I still have a bible app on my phone for easy reference.

About nine, I think. A couple KJV's, study bible, kids' bible (which I gleefully destroyed after deconversion), a NT, and some others.

1x KJV Newberry edition

3x KJV plain texts

1x KJV New Testament

1x NKJV

1x JND

2x RSV

1x NIV

1x Good News

DAMMMNNNNN. And I thought nine bibles was a lot.

My buddy, still an xian, had some color scheme he'd worked out and had gone through his entire Bible underlining and highlighting nearly every verse in different colors. It was very beautiful mind.

I've thought about doing the same thing with a fresh bible, but color coding the verses that speak of murder or genocide, rape, child abuse, and general illogic so I could find relevant verses quicker and "improvise" in debates.

I once started to highlight a Bible like that (when I was still a believer), but the pages were so thin that the highlighters bled through, thus making it completely impractical. I do have a Bible that has a lot of handwritten marginal notes, though.

I'm not sure how many Bibles I have. I'd have to go downstairs and count them, but there are quite a few. I've got a bunch of different translations, a few study Bibles and a Greek and Hebrew Interlinear Bible.

My buddy, still an xian, had some color scheme he'd worked out and had gone through his entire Bible underlining and highlighting nearly every verse in different colors. It was very beautiful mind.

I've thought about doing the same thing with a fresh bible, but color coding the verses that speak of murder or genocide, rape, child abuse, and general illogic so I could find relevant verses quicker and "improvise" in debates.

I once started to highlight a Bible like that (when I was still a believer), but the pages were so thin that the highlighters bled through, thus making it completely impractical. I do have a Bible that has a lot of handwritten marginal notes, though.

I'm not sure how many Bibles I have. I'd have to go downstairs and count them, but there are quite a few. I've got a bunch of different translations, a few study Bibles and a Greek and Hebrew Interlinear Bible.

Oops - I forgot.

Add:

1x Greek-English interlinear New Testament.

• Super Moderator

I never highlighted my bible.  I wanted to "werd o' gawd" to always be fresh and new each time I read it, rather than having my eye immediately go to some highlighted passage.  Super-God-Boy to the rescue!!!

• Like 1

I had a Precious Moments baby edition KJV.

An NIV for kids (with denim carrying case!) woohoo.gif

Several partial ones passed out by people like the Gideons at school.

A teen NIV bible.

A NLT one that I underlined sermon verses in.

The Case for Christ Study Bible (ironically my Bible during my deconversion)

I had 1 KJV. Blah! My youngest son has borrowed it. 1 NRSV that my parents gave me for confirmation. It's pretty with my name on the front. My oldest has it because he needed it for school.

6:

"Baby" bible NIV

2x standard NIVs

ESV, study edition

Miniature ESV

illustrated children's KJV

Definitely has the record for most copies of a book I've never finished.

Only 1 KJV bible, I have never used it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have three complete Bibles in English :

1.Basic English in TXT

2.KJV in PDF (Authorized version)

3.NIV in PDF

I have three Bibles in French (my native language) :

1.Bible du Semeur in HTML (Bible of the Sower)

2.École Biblique de Jérusalem in PDF (Biblical School of Jerusalem)

3.Louis Segond in HTML

I have a Bible in Latin : Biblia Sacra Juxta Vulgatam Clementinam in PDF (Vulgata)

Also I have an OT in Hebrew and NT in Koine Greek in PDF format.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally inventoried my Bibles, so here's the list:

• Comparative Study Bible (parallel Bible with King James Version, Amplified Bible, New International Version and New American Standard Bible)
  • New Revised Standard Version
  • English Standard Version
  • New American Standard Bible
  • The Living Bible
  • New Living Translation (it's not with my Bibles, but my wife's used it some, so I'm not sure where she has it squirreled away)
  • New World Translation (Jehovah's Witness Bible)
  • The NIV Study Bible
  • The Defender's Study Bible (KJV)
  • The Believer's Study Bible (NKJV)
  • New Open Bible - Study Edition (NASB)
  • The Youth Bible (New Century Version)
  • Hendrickson's Interlinear Bible (Hebrew, Greek and English)

Partial Bibles:

• The Jefferson Bible (KJV excerpts)
  • Who Is This Man Jesus? (texts from The Living Bible's Gospels woven into one account)

Other related texts:

• The Apocrypha (KJV)
  • The Apocryphal / Deuterocanonical Books (NRSV)
  • The Dead Sea Scrolls - A New Translation (Wise, Abegg & Cook)
  • The Gospel Of Judas (Karen King translation in "Reading Judas")
  • The Koran (from Ivy Books)
  • The Book Of Mormon

In addition to all of that, I have a bunch of commentaries and study books.

None. I threw them out in the trash. I had four, though.

• Like 1

I never had more than one bible at once, but this is how messed up my head was when I was deconverting:  Each time that I swore I was done with Christianity, I would tear up my bible and throw it into the trash.  Then a month or two later, I'd get weak and desperate, try to believe again, and go buy another bible.fun_84.gif   I went through this cycle probably 6 times before I finally completely got it all out of my system and was totally done believing. 

Looking back, it sad to see how pitiful and scared I was because of all the fear that had been put into me.  Glad those days are over!happydance.gif

• Like 1

I had/have one KJV Bible. It always was accompanied on the shelf by the Apocrypha, Dead Sea Scrolls, Nag Hammadi  Library, and several books about magic, religion, and the occult worldwide. I liked woo.

None. I threw them out in the trash. I had four, though.

Indeed, they are garbage. I've hung on to most of mine for reference, though. They've come in handy several times when debating religion online or looking into something out of my own curiosity. They don't get used very much anymore, though.

i am paper bibleless,,,,

only to look into biblegateway when really really really necessarily,,,,,, but christian friend decided not to discuss christianity with me anymore,,,,,, so don't think i went to the site this year,,,,, but popular bible verses are still stuck in the subconscious somewhere

I only had one Braille Bible at a time, and the last one I had I got rid of in the mid 1990s. A Braille Bible takes up two full bookshelves. Being blind, I was used to this. But it bespeaks of the huge amount of volume with precious little information. Before the Internet and electronic books, it always seemd one could get willing Xian organizations to print stuff for the blind, but it was really hard to get skeptical literature. I'm glad I live in a different time now.

I used BibleGateway for years, and then switched to the YouVersion app. During the last ten years, my preferred translation was the New living by Tyndale House Publishers. Before then it was the NIV. Growing up I had a KJV - a composit of several Xian organizations' efforts at compiling one.

I've had to give myself a break RE: the apologetics business. But I'm not out as an atheist to my parents yet. I know to young people this is a lot harder, because you could lose your means of support. So I'm not trying to minimize anything you're dealing with. But the challenge I have in midlife is, my parents are pretty elderly now. It would not help them to find this out. But my mother does like to talk endlessly about these secular humanists or feel-good Christians and how they ruin everything. But she can't cite their claims nor can she name any of their apologists, something I asked of her last time this came up years ago.

So while it was cathartic to get the Bible app off my devices, I might have to go back and reread some as a just-in-case, if the discussions come up. I'm admittedly best on the political side of things, something they are vested in and knowledgeable of. But they're also well versed in the Bible, plus she is in all the industry standard popular apologetics like Francis Schafer, Josh McDowell, C. S. Lewis, and so on. I'd rather not entertain it at all, or at most just go along to get along. Just sort of ask questions about what she thinks, when she brings things up.

Anyway, I understand people having to pick it back up sometimes. Prepare for the potential onslaught.

And lol to the comment about illustrations of all the rape and pillage. Why do they leave those out? Just like Ken Ham's "creation" "museum" has Adam and Eve both naked, but their genitals deliberately covered up. Adam standing in water and Eve's hair covering the chest, so kids won't be damaged at sight of dick and boobies. I never went to that magic show, I read about it in the book Idiot America.

But my mother does like to talk endlessly about these secular humanists or feel-good Christians and how they ruin everything. But she can't cite their claims nor can she name any of their apologists, something I asked of her last time this came up years ago.

Leo, you've mentioned in a couple of posts that you're not aware of liberal Christian apologist. This can't be true, because I've read that almost all the professors in seminaries are atheists, agnostic, or liberal Christains. (Facts are not consistent with traditional Christian dogmas, so people naturally discard these dogmas as they learn more.)

So there must be plenty of liberal Christian apologists. I personally have never cared about the intellectual side of Christianity, so I can't name any apologists of any flavor. But these liberal apologists must exist. Bishop Spong (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Shelby_Spong) is very influential in the Episcopal Church. I don't know a thing about Spong or what he believes, but he is probably an example of a liberal Christian apologist.

(I'm just mentioning this, in case you might be interested. I have always been more interested in the dancing bears myself. smile.png )

Ah thanks I'll have to check out some of his writings, see what he says. I'm afraid, when I still tried to make myself believe, if someone like that was convincing enough, I might have remained a Christian longer. Even though the Wife now has said things about me reading from Christianity's Left, I know it would not have satisfied a few years ago for Her, when I was trying to work this stuff out. Even Francis Collins' acknowledgement of evolutionary theory was quite difficult for Her at the time. She never read it, but knew I was reading it.

Thanks for the tip though.