Goodbye Jesus

Pointlessness And The End Of The World

zuker12

How pointless are the various end of the world scenarios religions portray? The christian one is especially gruesome, torturous and anguish-filled. The whole point for this scenario is to "cleanse the world", punishing the wicked and rewarding the faithful and "setting things right". What is the reward? An eternity in a temptation-free environment, where your sorrows are non-existent because god has a powerful magic ingredient that makes you unable to be sad, even for your loved ones in hell. After this point, there really is no chance or incentive to make wrong choices because you'll FINALLY know god personally. This is the end point God wants for us, where we essentially become robots that are constantly happy and ready to worship. There is no chance to sin.

Consciousness is a gift and a curse when it is thought about in an end-of-the-world scenario. Our given consciousness is the trigger that causes the end of the world in the first place. Because we sin or deviate from God's ways. No one asked for consciousness, though, which is important to remember. The end of the world comes to set things right, for all eternity. Isn't it a bit too late at this point to start setting things right, especially with gratuituous violence? I mean, if all god wanted was his ideal existence, he could have simply made us as the robots we WOULD anyway become after the end of the world. We have to go through a whole world of violence, because God just wants it that way. He has a million ways to set things right, and he chooses the way of eternal punishment and fiery destruction of everything? I mean come on, how pointless is the whole idea of the end of the world? When everything is "as it should be", after everyone has suffered torture, destruction and death of various kinds, our end state is that of robots, in a divine version of 1984 where god finally administers his power to end suffering and temptation. Why won't he do it now? The end result is the same, but there is simply a complicated plan, a dramatic play of sorts going on that god wants to enact. Pointless much?

• Like 3

Goodbye Jesus

Jim jefferies did a hilarious bit on this subject

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S_XTtCXy2E

• Like 2

I always think that apocalyptic texts were written by guys who were the most picked-on kids in the ancient equivalent of eighth grade.

I always think that apocalyptic texts were written by guys who were the most picked-on kids in the ancient equivalent of eighth grade.

haha. Dan, Sam and Peter were the Eric and Dylan of their time.

Yeah no kidding, if creation was such a good idea, why does it need to be destroyed?  Surely nobody in charge made a structural error!  

And I agree, who really wants to go to heaven, and be so braindead that you don't even think about people you love who didn't make it there, but are instead languishing for eternity in hell while you are sitting around doing whatever.  I think I'd just as soon go to Nirvana, and not give a crap about anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Logic and the Biblical narrative do not mix well.  The act of combining the two is kind of like trying to mix vinegar and oil together to make an Italian salad dressing.  A person can aggressively stir the the two ingredients until they look like they are perfectly mixed together.  This action serves to create a tasty dressing that suits the purpose at hand (eating a salad).  However, when left undisturbed, the two ingredients will inevitably separate.  I find that Christians do the same thing with logic.  They explain away little passages and concepts found in the Bible in ways that appear to make logical sense (without ever looking at the bigger picture).  The end result is a pacified and happy go lucky Christian.  This cycle can repeat itself for many years and even entire lifetimes.  Unfortunately, there comes a point when the true wisdom seeker decides to look a little deeper at the Bible to discover its true properties - its deeper meanings if you will.  This action is usually well-intentioned.  However, it is not long until he or she quickly realizes that there is something very wrong with all of it...  it is not what it has been made to appear to be. 

In short, I believe that this is why it has been said that the Bible is an atheists best friend.

Other world religions don't have end of the world scenarios. It's a Xtian thing.

When looked at rationally the scheme that "god" put into effect according to Xtians simply doesn't make any sense at all. As if god, creator, of the universe, with all his supernatural powers would  create humans, set them up to fail, then  cause 1/3 of himself to be crucified,die and then rise up from the dead and ascend to heaven. All of this being done so that he would have an excuse to torture the vast majority of his creatures forever, and pretend that the remaining minority were "justified" and forgiven for being who they are, which allows them to keep god company for eternity in some unknown place. And while waiting to die, god causes the vast majority to suffer on earth during their entire natural lives before they suffer in hell for eternity. What an incredibly stupid idea. It shows how gullible we humans really are, even the smart ones. It is embarrassing, isn't it? And humans pay clergy untold amounts of money to tell them how evil they are and what their fate will be.   Good gawd!   bill