Goodbye Jesus

Afterlife Is Meaningless Without An Afterafterlife!

bfuddled

I've always been scared of the idea of heaven.. I thought I would be the only person that would be BORED OUT OF MY MIND but that I'd have to pretend that I was okay with worshipping god forever and ever and ever and ever and ever......

• Like 4

Lol. Infinite regression applied to the afterlife. Cant wait to use it.

Afterlives all the way down.

God's god's god's god's god ... Yup.

Can't wait to use it. Will post to my Twitter.

I love the darkmatter videos !

I was taught that heaven was actually living on a perfect earth, much as we are now, but perfect the way it was intended to be.  That we would have perfect, physical bodies, with no disease (cellulite, stretch marks, hahaha) and that the earth would be transformed and beautiful.  I didn't have a bucket list.  I figured one day I would travel the universe in its perfect glory.  What a crock.  I had a hard time letting this idea go. 

Maybe the church is trying to make it look more enticing, because really, who wants to bow down to god all day, every day for eternity?!  Certainly not me!

• Like 2

I've always been scared of the idea of heaven.. I thought I would be the only person that would be BORED OUT OF MY MIND but that I'd have to pretend that I was okay with worshipping god forever and ever and ever and ever and ever......

How can you pretend to like something when the other entity can read your mind?

• Like 1

StruggleWithin, in post 8:

" I figured one day I would travel the universe in its perfect glory. What a crock. I had a hard time letting this idea go. "

Why do you have to give up this idea? That is, regarding the universe as perfect just as it is. We all come from star stuff and so maybe to star stuff we return.

This.

Star stuff, it is simple so very simple. They are the reason all life exists and all elements that we know of so far.

Carl Sagan was a wonderful person and left to soon. These words and many others make so much more sense than anything I have ever seen in a religous text.

StruggleWithin, in post 8:

" I figured one day I would travel the universe in its perfect glory. What a crock. I had a hard time letting this idea go. "

Why do you have to give up this idea? That is, regarding the universe as perfect just as it is. We all come from star stuff and so maybe to star stuff we return.

I meant that it was a crock that I would have all of eternity to travel the universe :)  Life is short, I won't get to see everything I want to see...nor do I believe I will ever travel outside of the earth LOL

The idea of heaven and eternity made me go crazy when I spent my weekends at my grandparents (ironically the non religious place of my early childhood)...and that was before they moved to Spain and that was before the age of eight. I remember crying whole nights because I was just overwhelmed with the thoughts of eternity...something that never ends. And the thought that I was going to exist eternal no matter what...I could only choose to either spend eternity in heaven or in hell...

It made me wish I had never been born and I tried to imagine how that would have been. Like I just did not exist, life without me. And I think it contributed a lot to my emotional development and the depressions I am having. Of course in combination with other factors as well.

And this is why I call it child abuse when people introduce children to the concept of heaven and hell and eternal life.

• Like 1

The idea of heaven and eternity made me go crazy when I spent my weekends at my grandparents (ironically the non religious place of my early childhood)...and that was before they moved to Spain and that was before the age of eight. I remember crying whole nights because I was just overwhelmed with the thoughts of eternity...something that never ends. And the thought that I was going to exist eternal no matter what...I could only choose to either spend eternity in heaven or in hell...

It made me wish I had never been born and I tried to imagine how that would have been. Like I just did not exist, life without me. And I think it contributed a lot to my emotional development and the depressions I am having. Of course in combination with other factors as well.

And this is why I call it child abuse when people introduce children to the concept of heaven and hell and eternal life.

This was a constant fear and torment for me too because I was never convinced I was going to heaven.  I had countless christian friends and pastors tell me they were sure I was, but deep down I struggled with it and obsessed over it.  It caused me much grief and depression.  Oh I am so glad to be free of that mindfuck!

(I cannot even imagine putting this shit on a child!  It was bad enough on me as an adult, it would have freaked me out badly as a child!)

StruggleWithin

I can't really remember if I was sure that I would go to heaven or not but somehow the trouble was more like I had to chose this Jesus guy in order to go and I felt like that would be pretty exhausting. All I wanted was to just live my life and then it to be over. No eternal whatever. Neither heaven nor hell where nice places. Heaven was just the lesser bad...but they both felt like prisons to me.

Human

Thank you. Well to be honest, I don't think too much about it anymore because I am born  and living and so I have to find a way to live a life that I enjoy. I have to admit I am not there yet. But I am working on it. And especially this year I sense that change is coming. Also because I start to understand my condition and see ways to approach it. I have always worked on it actually, but only now I start to understand for example that there are things I can't change by pure will. That leaving my past behind has not worked for me and I have to go back to look at traumatic events of my childhood again. I now know as well why and how those events influence my everyday life to the point of me being lonely most of the time (even though I know enough people) and at a job I don't enjoy (even though I would have an amazing and fun education) and my depression. I am glad I have found the information I needed and don't have to blame myself for it all anymore and can go and find the help that is best. So I hope like in a year I can say from deep down of my heart that I enjoy life and am glad to have been born :). Until then I guess it will be a roller coaster but I know I can survive it. I have survived many roller coasters of my life.

How can you pretend to like something when the other entity can read your mind?

I guess I never thought about that aspect. Either way I'd be screwed! What's crazy is that all the people I asked about this when I was a Christian seemed to think *I* was the crazy one. As if spending eternity doing anything (whether worshipping or playing in our golden mansions, or whatever) is obviously an awesome concept, and I was weird for not seeing it that way.

YES! Like I just replied above, I was told multiple times growing up that it was kind of weird that I wasn't thrilled about being eternal. i would think about it and I would feel physically dizzy and sick to my stomach. I'd get bored/restless and a little bit desperate spending 45 minutes listening to a sermon, so I can't imagine what I'd feel like with eternity stretched ahead of me. I think for that reason I tried not to think about heaven/hell. Our church didn't have a concrete doctrine about it, either, it was kind of left up to the individual to decide what heaven/hell was.

One of the things that I told my husband pretty soon after I deconverted was that we could work out the specifics of what the kids are taught about Christianity, but that one of my non-negotiable things was that I would not allow them to be taught that there is a literal hell. That's abusive and nothing more than controlling out of fear.