Goodbye Jesus

Law Forcing Abortion Clinics To Close

directionless

I stumbled onto this article:

In just over the past year, the number of abortion clinics in Texas fell from 41 to 20, and watchdogs say that as few as six may be left by September.

http://www.webmd.com/health-insurance/tx/20140718/half-of-texas-abortion-clinics-close-due-to-state-law

Apparently the law requires abortion clinics to comply with the same regulations as mini hospitals. I'm not sure what motivated this law:

- Maybe full-service medical clinics want to get into the abortion business by eliminating their abortion clinic competitors?

- Maybe this is a sneaky way for pro-life groups to reduce abortions?

- Maybe there is a genuine safety issue? (seems unlikely)

Personally I don't like abortions, but I would reduce them by increasing birth control. If a pro-life group was behind this law, then that is sad. My suspiction is that Obamacare will make abortions more lucrative through insurance coverage and the hospital corporations are trying to muscle-in on this new market?

BTW I don't follow these issues in detail, and I'm not claiming any expertise. I was hoping others might enlighten me on why this is happening. Going from 41 clinics to 6 clinics in one year is shocking to me.

In just over the past year, the number of abortion clinics in Texas fell from 41 to 20, and watchdogs say that as few as six may be left by September.

http://www.webmd.com/health-insurance/tx/20140718/half-of-texas-abortion-clinics-close-due-to-state-law

Apparently the law requires abortion clinics to comply with the same regulations as mini hospitals. I'm not sure what motivated this law:

- Maybe full-service medical clinics want to get into the abortion business by eliminating their abortion clinic competitors?

I am very involved in reproductive rights and can tell you for sure its that. Forced birther groups have used underhanded tactics like this for years, targeting abortion providers with useless and burdensome regulations (aptly named TRAP laws) just to force them to shut down. 

Your first option is very unlikely, providing abortions would attract the same regulations and the fanatic abortion opponents - this is a large reason regular hospitals stopped providing abortions.

- Maybe there is a genuine safety issue? 

There isn't.

Personally I don't like abortions, but I would reduce them by increasing birth control. If a pro-life group was behind this law, then that is sad.

Of course anti abortion groups are behind it. That much is obvious. And don't forget those same groups tend to be vehemently anti-birth control.

My suspiction is that Obamacare will make abortions more lucrative through insurance coverage and the hospital corporations are trying to muscle-in on this new market?

Sorry, but this is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Maybe they will leave Texas to get an abortion out of state...and never go back.

If abortion is bad, why does God build into nature still births and miscarriages?

• Like 3

If abortion is bad, why does God build into nature still births and miscarriages?

^^^^^ They would hate to answer this ^^^^^

^^^^^ They would hate to answer this ^^^^^

On the contrary. My former church was heavily involved in a crisis pregnancy center. Now, for those in the know, crisis pregnancy centers are pro-life and 9.9 times out of 10, they are direct competition for family planning clinics and Planned Parenthood centers. They don't provide services such as abortions or even paps and other exams like actual health clinics and PPs do. What the crisis pregnancy center does is offer free pregnancy tests, counseling (Christian) and hands out goody bags to expectant mothers. Some may offer referrals to pro-life doctors and such, but the ones I have been too (my former church's center and one other where I have taken my oldest niece on a few occasions) did not.

Now, the answer:

• GOD.
  • It was his will, who are we to question it?
  • Humans are not qualified to question his divine judgement. We are peons.
  • Life is sacred and only scum would suggest snuffing it out before it has a chance to be born.
  • Abortionists are destroying souls and they will rot in hell.

That is all.

• Like 1

I am very involved in reproductive rights and can tell you for sure its that. Forced birther groups have used underhanded tactics like this for years, targeting abortion providers with useless and burdensome regulations (aptly named TRAP laws) just to force them to shut down. 

Your first option is very unlikely, providing abortions would attract the same regulations and the fanatic abortion opponents - this is a large reason regular hospitals stopped providing abortions.

- Maybe there is a genuine safety issue?

There isn't.

Personally I don't like abortions, but I would reduce them by increasing birth control. If a pro-life group was behind this law, then that is sad.

Of course anti abortion groups are behind it. That much is obvious. And don't forget those same groups tend to be vehemently anti-birth control.

My suspiction is that Obamacare will make abortions more lucrative through insurance coverage and the hospital corporations are trying to muscle-in on this new market?

Sorry, but this is ridiculous.

O.k. Probably you are right and it is simply pro-life groups, but the timing with Obamacare roll-out made me wonder.

IMO the people at the top of the political food chain are very cynical and only care about money and power. I don't follow politics or vote anymore, because it seems like things are too complicated and deceitful for me to understand.

IMO the people at the top of the political food chain are very cynical and only care about money and power. 

The UK is exactly the same. Callous and inept members of parliament who seem to delight in causing suffering to the most vulnerable in society, while enriching themselves and their corporate masters. Ian duncan Smith, "the minister for manslaughter" is perhaps the most visible example of political greed, arrogance, cruelty and sheer nastiness. Smith once appeared on the BBC and shouted down a tribute being given to people who had died in relation to his "reforms". These "reforms" generally involve taking away disability claim payments to the sick and dying. Smith himself  of course claims for everything (including his underpants), while atthe same time lives rent free with his wealthy wife in her fathers mansion. Have a guess what religion Smith follows.....

• Like 1

Personally I don't like abortions, but I would reduce them by increasing birth control. If a pro-life group was behind this law, then that is sad. My suspiction is that Obamacare will make abortions more lucrative through insurance coverage and the hospital corporations are trying to muscle-in on this new market?

BTW I don't follow these issues in detail, and I'm not claiming any expertise. I was hoping others might enlighten me on why this is happening. Going from 41 clinics to 6 clinics in one year is shocking to me.

Yes their purpose is to make abortion scarce. It is very sad because my prediction is it would make safe and legal abortion hard to get and people would turn to back alley abortion. One that is very frustrating is why the law makers don't understand that point, why they think by limiting abortion then the number of abortion will drop.

I personally also cannot do abortion however I want to keep the option open for those who want or need abortion. Who am I to judge others?

Yes their purpose is to make abortion scarce. It is very sad because my prediction is it would make safe and legal abortion hard to get and people would turn to back alley abortion. One that is very frustrating is why the law makers don't understand that point, why they think by limiting abortion then the number of abortion will drop.

I personally also cannot do abortion however I want to keep the option open for those who want or need abortion. Who am I to judge others?

That's similar to my thinking. I don't claim to understand the reasons so many people need abortions, but I suspect there are ways to reduce the problem if people would be more practical (birth control implants? vasectomies? ...)

All life (except the lives of convicted murderers) is sacred!!!

• 2 weeks later...

LOL texans...

I live across the street from an abortion clinic.

it is funny how shallow and lazy the opposition is here compared to texas.

here they only protest when it is sunny and warm. If it is raining grey or cold they are no where to be found. They routinely get removed by the police to for touching people and blocking the sidewalk and trespassing by hanging out on the lawn.

They went to so far as to buy the house next door to stage from but then never really show up. I bet they wish they had it as good as texas... odd part is I live in the bible belt part of my state. I guess they are just tamer here. I still think its ridiculous that they stand out there stopping nothing. protest is good though and right or wrong we do have that right.

Using laws that marginalize an entire view point and section of your population is just low brow.

One more reason to stay out of texas.

All life (except the lives of convicted murderers) is sacred!!!

prove it...

Now, the answer:

• GOD.
  • It was his will, who are we to question it?
  • Humans are not qualified to question his divine judgement. We are peons.
  • Life is sacred and only scum would suggest snuffing it out before it has a chance to be born.
  • Abortionists are destroying souls and they will rot in hell.

That is all.

Ha, that's funny that Christians would say that life is sacred and that it's a bad thing to suggest snuffing it out before it has been born, while serving and loving a god who did this very same thing (or at least commanded it) in their very own Bible. According to that statement, the god of the Bible is scum.

Oh, but apparently being an omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent deity makes it perfectly acceptable, while being a mere human makes it bad. The other bullet points indicate this. Maybe it's because all of those innocent babies murdered in the Old Testament were predestined to become monsters when they grew up, so it was acceptable to kill them before they could...

These laws are designed to eliminate abortion by setting regulations up that are so dificult to meet that the clinic simply shuts down.

The state legislations have been targeted by fundamentalists as the tool to ban abortions.

That's why Christians work very hard to control the state and county elections.

The AFA (American Family Association) has firmly stated that its goal is to make abortion illegal at all stages.

If one listens to their radio program and ads, it becomes quite clear that the goal is to stop all abortions.

Lunatics such as Bryan Fischer and Tony Perkins beat this drum 24/7.

The problem here is not is the fetus human or not, is it murder or abortion.  Instead, it's do we sympathize with the woman.  The fetus produced from rape or incest is no less or more human than the fetus produced otherwise.  Yet most Pro-Lifers will sympathize with the woman who was victimized.  Why? Do they think they decide not life and death, but what is alive in the first place?  It isn't murder if they sympathize, but it is if they don't?

Never let anyone tell you that the abortion issue is about the fetus.  It is about women taking control of their own lives.  Those who have good excuses are exempt; what more proof do you need.

In addition, why would God command that a priest use a magic potion to induce an abortion? (Numbers 5:11-31)

• Like 2