Goodbye Jesus

Historical Literature On Authenticity Of The Bible And Historical Account Of Christ’S Life, Death And Resurrection.

FreeThinkerNZ

I am in serious doubt that you could comprehend the actual academic position of Dr. Craig Blomberg on anything… sorry. There are few who could and they would have to be very well versed in current New Testament theological scholarship. Ficino might… I'm struggling with it though.. it's pretty involved stuff.

http://www.normangeisler.net/articles/Bible/Inspiration-Inerrancy/Blomberg/DenialOfMiracleStory.htm

Hey Ravenstar, are you "struggling with" Blomberg's book or with Geisler's attack on Licona and Blomberg, or both?

I read part of the Geisler blog post that you linked. Couldn't stand reading the whole thing. It's typical inerrantist stuff, of which I had my fill as an evangelical. The stance of Geisler et al boils down to a fancy version of Ironhorse's stance, i.e. make a faith/confessional commitment and then control all evidence from that commitment.

Like you, I'm not sure whether Ironhorse would side with the full-bore "everything assertion is historically accurate" inerrantists or with the slippery, "let's appeal to genre theory etc when we need it" types. IH may not comprehend what's at stake theologically, or care, since he walks by faith, not by sight, and certainly not by sifting evidential claims.

The Geisler thing is sort of laughable from the Catholic perspective, and probably from the Orthodox perspective, too. But that's another topic.

Both… I'm no theological philosopher.. not even close, but they all seem incredibly pedantic. The couching of these positions in such incredibly overblown philosophical language and apologetics framed in an 'academic' treatise seems way overblown to me.

There's a lot of sophistry, doublespeak and agendas in there… basically I think they are blowhards trying to look profound. Am I close?

Being sort of a pedant myself, I can't knock pedantic, heh heh... But I think it's pretty obvious what kind of historical inquiry is being carried out by people whose primary concern is to preserve the purity of a confessional commitment.

• Like 1