Goodbye Jesus

Was Hitler A Christian?

Zephie

So this morning, I told my mom that Hitler was a Christian and she proceeded to get all butt-hurt and say that he was not a Christian and then to ask, "How many demoniacs have claimed they were Christian?"  I did some research once I got to work and I've read that Hitler wasn't a Christian and then that he was. So which is it? And how does one even begin to define a Christian? I mean people's claims to Christianity seem to be based on what they believe. My thought is that a person simply has to believe they are a Christian to be a Christian. At the end of the day, they all decide what's true or not out of the Bible anyway.

Hitler was a Catholic.  Some Protestants think that means Hitler wasn't a Christian because they think all Catholics are part of a cult.  But yes, Hitler was as much a Christian as any other Catholic.  Hitler often talked about God and his faith.  The anti-semitism that Hitler used to gain power has its roots in the Bible. 

• Like 1

Hitler was a Catholic.  Some protestants think that means Hitler wasn't a Christian because they think all Catholics are part of a cult.  But yes, Hitler was as much a Christian as any other Catholic.  Hitler often talked about God and his faith.  The anti-semitism that Hitler used to gain power has its roots in the Bible. 

See that's what I thought too. I think my mom is using her own personal standard in deciding who is/is not a Christian. For example, if I miss Mass on a Sunday then I'm back-sliding or losing my faith. 

• Like 1

Was the Austrian moustache a jebus cultist? I'd want to know: Does it matter?

Everyone's focusing on this one asshole as if it did all the warring and killing with its own claws. Actually, millions of Germans followed its orders and gladly executed them... and the victims.

Guess what faith those adhered to.

Hint:

gott_mit_uns-ns.jpg

(that thing literally says "God with us")

Seems to me that this line of "argument" is a mix of laziness (easier to focus on the asshole at the top) and authoritarians projecting their views on everyone else (they do nothing but obey their führers - literally - so everyone must do that and everything is always the sole responsibility of the führer). Just my 2 cents worth. That said, I wouldn't make a confident statement either way on the moustache. Some sources seem to prove it was a jebus cultist, others hint at some (never-defined) other religion as for example in mein kampf it kept babbling about the "eternal goddess of vengeance" and such, and yet others seem to show it was an atheist. I guess it's one of those questions to which the answer depends totally on whom you're listening to. Wendyshrug.gif

• Like 2

Hitler was a Catholic.  Some protestants think that means Hitler wasn't a Christian because they think all Catholics are part of a cult.  But yes, Hitler was as much a Christian as any other Catholic.  Hitler often talked about God and his faith.  The anti-semitism that Hitler used to gain power has its roots in the Bible. 

See that's what I thought too. I think my mom is using her own personal standard in deciding who is/is not a Christian. For example, if I miss Mass on a Sunday then I'm back-sliding or losing my faith. 

Have never met a christian that did not do this. Judgement is sort of par for course if you believe in most gods while those gods tell you not to judge... funny how hypocracy is sort of the root and foundation of most people that follow religions. It really isn't funny at all it is down right sad but what can you do.

Oh I could care less what religion hitler believed or said he believed in. 20 million people or so died stopping that little whore so I would say who gives a flying shit what religious beliefs he had, he made choices that led to some of the worst behavior by almost any human that ever lived to date. Seriously if I had a reason to judge him I would judge him on that and nothing else. I don't agree in anyway with what he did but me hating him or judging christians over an individuals beliefs is just as bad as what they do to those of us who do not believe like they do. He is dead and gone, we can choose to learn a lesson from him and in this way there is value in his bad acts. Other than that he was a tyranical loser.

he probably was never a TRUE christian,,,,,,

So this morning, I told my mom that Hitler was a Christian and she proceeded to get all butt-hurt and say that he was not a Christian and then to ask, "How many demoniacs have claimed they were Christian?"  I did some research once I got to work and I've read that Hitler wasn't a Christian and then that he was. So which is it? And how does one even begin to define a Christian? I mean people's claims to Christianity seem to be based on what they believe. My thought is that a person simply has to believe they are a Christian to be a Christian. At the end of the day, they all decide what's true or not out of the Bible anyway.

Zephie,

That's a good question. Basically, it would depend on the definition of "Christian." Naturally, every organized form of religion calling itself "Christian" has its own definition. And most people have their individual personal ideas of what it means. Should there be an ultimate authority or standard for deciding? Perhaps the New Testament. But then, all those religious organizations and individuals interpret the New Testament in many different ways.

How do you think Neo Nazi's interpret it in the churches they attend?

While Christianity is a matter of the heart, and one can certainly get glimpses of what another believes through what they say, I'm not sure anyone can be certain if Hitler was in fact a Christian or if he simply used that belief system as a means of control.

What we do know is that he was brought up in a catholic household and frequently cited God as his example for the terrible things he did. 

Below are a few examples:

"I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator." - Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, Vol. 1 Chapter 2

"I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty Creator. By warding off the Jews I am fighting for the Lord's work." - Adolf Hitler, Speech, Reichstag, 1936

"Even today I am not ashamed to say that, overpowered by stormy enthusiasm, I fell down on my knees and thanked Heaven from an overflowing heart for granting me the good fortune of being permitted to live at this time." - Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, Vol. 1 Chapter 5

I have also heard people argue that the Church supported Hitler during his reign of terror, but I personally haven't investigated that myself and so would not be able to say if that was so or not.

At the very least I'm not aware of Hitler ever citing Atheism as his inspiration or the motivation behind his actions.

Still further, one could argue that whatever Hitler believed is irrelevant.  There are good and bad in all faiths, religions and stances. There a good and bad Atheists (I don't think anyone would argue with me there huh.png ) just as there are good and bad Christians. 

Finally, just because their is correlation does not mean there is causation.

Hope that helped, I'll be interested to see what others say as well.

• Like 2

I saw a show that claimed the catholic church helped high ranking Nazis escape to Brazil.  There was documents and evidence to support this, though I do not remember the name of the program...

There are also photos of priests and clerics with Hitler and giving the Nazi salute...Pope Pius meets Hitler (and never spoke out against him publicly)  Also, iirc, the Swastika was all over Hitler's childhood church and it was where he got the idea to use it.

post-1612-0-71455700-1406027907_thumb.jpg

post-1612-0-65943600-1406028015_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if he believed himself to be a Christian or was just using/manipulating Christian ideas and institutions to his own ends.  Probably doesn't matter-- either (or some combination of both) seems likely.  He was a murderous lunatic regardless.

Yahweh, so we are told, is certainly a believer.  But he also has the best case for being a genocidal, Jew-hating, vengeful, crazed, warmongering, murderous, freedom-quashing tyrant.  At least Hitler's hate died with him...

• Super Moderator

Was the Austrian moustache a jebus cultist? I'd want to know: Does it matter?

Everyone's focusing on this one asshole as if it did all the warring and killing with its own claws. Actually, millions of Germans followed its orders and gladly executed them... and the victims.

Guess what faith those adhered to.

Hint:

gott_mit_uns-ns.jpg

(that thing literally says "God with us")

Seems to me that this line of "argument" is a mix of laziness (easier to focus on the asshole at the top) and authoritarians projecting their views on everyone else (they do nothing but obey their führers - literally - so everyone must do that and everything is always the sole responsibility of the führer). Just my 2 cents worth. That said, I wouldn't make a confident statement either way on the moustache. Some sources seem to prove it was a jebus cultist, others hint at some (never-defined) other religion as for example in mein kampf it kept babbling about the "eternal goddess of vengeance" and such, and yet others seem to show it was an atheist. I guess it's one of those questions to which the answer depends totally on whom you're listening to. Wendyshrug.gif

Nitpick:  German Military belt buckles had the "Gott Mit Uns" inscription long before Hitler came to power.  I read a story years ago from an ANZAC who survived Gallipoli only to find himself fighting hand-to-hand on the Somme and when he saw a dead German's belt buckle he thought, "Well, if god really is behind all this then the cross was too good a death for him."

Damn straight he was. The people in the churches would hear Jews and others being hauled away screaming for help on the trains bound for the death camps, and they'd sing louder to drown it out. A lot of citizens who were probably good people otherwise and meant well, who had the means and the agency to help instead did nothing. We all know what the road to hell is paved with, and we all know what it takes for evil to flourish.

• Like 1

yahweh as i recall was heavily into genocide so, yeah he may well have been a chrsitian.

Hitler also believed in stuff like the Holy Grail and the Spear of Destiny which was to do with Christ so if hes not a full christian he does lean to that persuation.  also according to christians its the jews who killed jesus hence whyhe took the holocaust seriously

Hey ya'll, thanks for the answers. 

Nitpick:  German Military belt buckles had the "Gott Mit Uns" inscription long before Hitler came to power.  I read a story years ago from an ANZAC who survived Gallipoli only to find himself fighting hand-to-hand on the Somme and when he saw a dead German's belt buckle he thought, "Well, if god really is behind all this then the cross was too good a death for him."

True that. The Reich (the 2nd one of the Kaiser, not the one you're automatically thinking of now ;) ) was deeply jebus cultist all the time. Even today (well at least some 10 years ago - haven't bothered to check for more recent figures) we're supposedly one third each cocklick, protestant and "others" of all shapes and colors. The moustache didn't "introduce christianity" to Germany, not at all.

Damn straight he was. The people in the churches would hear Jews and others being hauled away screaming for help on the trains bound for the death camps, and they'd sing louder to drown it out. A lot of citizens who were probably good people otherwise and meant well, who had the means and the agency to help instead did nothing. We all know what the road to hell is paved with, and we all know what it takes for evil to flourish.

This.

Evil is not a trait of a specific nation or faith or color. It's a trait of humanity as a whole. And methinks one of the safest ways, if not the safest way of all, to guarantee you slide down into evil eventually is to declare that evil is something that only the others are.

We're all in danger. And we're all responsible to keep our own evil in check.

• Like 1

Hitler also believed in stuff like the Holy Grail and the Spear of Destiny which was to do with Christ so if hes not a full christian he does lean to that persuation.  also according to christians its the jews who killed jesus hence whyhe took the holocaust seriously

I wouldn't bet on what the moustache did or did not believe in. Did it, for example, swallow this entire "spear of destiny" thing personally, or did it just accept that himmler believed in it? Seems to me that the most whacko beliefs were more held by himmler and some others while the mouistache basically just believed in itself and in power and whatever means it takes to gain and keep it. Not that this excuses the moustache who could have stopped himmler's brainfucked ideas... just to have said. ;)

I think it's safe to say Hitler had the seeds of madness before the Great War. The Great War turned him into a complete madman, although he was cunning enough not to show it. Economic conditions as much as anything else made him Germany's leader, after which the Second World War turned him into a monster. Himmler, according to one German General, Hossbach if memory serves, was "Hitler's evil spirit." I would say that's as apt a description as anything else. The Party itself used anything that would make it popular, just as any political party did and does still. For instance I would never believe some US politicians of the present era are quite the Holy Rollers they appear to be, but what the hell, it wins votes. 

Casey

For a Catholic he sure was a big fan of Luther. Every Protestant (or literate person) needs to read 'on the Jews and their lies.' It is pretty terrifying, and almost looks like a prequel to Mein Kampf.

• Like 1

True that. The Reich (the 2nd one of the Kaiser, not the one you're automatically thinking of now wink.png ) was deeply jebus cultist all the time. Even today (well at least some 10 years ago - haven't bothered to check for more recent figures) we're supposedly one third each cocklick, protestant and "others" of all shapes and colors. The moustache didn't "introduce christianity" to Germany, not at all.

I have seen many reports online saying that Germany is among the largest athiest countries in Europe? Is that not correct in reality? A lot of it has to do with level of development.

in third world countries there are almost no atheists... easier to control the ignorant and under educated by far. I always saw Germany as more progressive and intelligent than mass religion but I guess there is no place on earth YET that is mostly atheist or on its way. Soon though I would expect articles with this title, "Is religion over???" to start cropping up in the next decade.

What will the human race do with all that extra time not fighting over religion or gods anymore in some distant future? I am hoping more space race and flying cars.

For a Catholic he sure was a big fan of Luther. Every Protestant (or literate person) needs to read 'on the Jews and their lies.' It is pretty terrifying, and almost looks like a prequel to Mein Kampf.

Truly a disgusting book.  I was raised lutheran and was shocked my family had literally no comment or opinion when I announced my discovery of luther's writings...

Hitler's views on "the Jews" were very much in the mainstream in Christian Europe the late 19th/early 20th century. Rhetoric identical to the Nazis was found in France from the 1880s onward. This was always couched in Christian and Biblical language and themes. Communism was always portrayed as "Jewish" by these groups, so to be anti-Communist was to be anti-Jewish. Obviously, this intensified after 1917. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitic_League_of_France

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_France_juive

I have seen many reports online saying that Germany is among the largest athiest countries in Europe? Is that not correct in reality? A lot of it has to do with level of development.

Well I can't tell as I never checked the data on other European countries; I guess it's well possible that our 33 % non-mainstream-christian people really are the largest percentage of "unbelievers" in all of Europe. Wendyshrug.gif

And of course it's always a question of what the big picture is like. For example, before the rich bastards lost their last shred of dignity and began dismantling everything for a little more personal wealth (you know, busily working to crush all social security and anything else that may benefit the non-rich at even the slightest expense of the rich), it seems "we" were much more tolerant in general than we seem to be now. Suddenly it's getting more and more "okay" or even "virtuous" again (!!!) to speak out against those of other descent / origin / skin color / whathaveyou. The fascist scumbags, however many they are today, must loooooove it. vent.gif