Goodbye Jesus

"but What About Jesus?" Aka, The Question I Hear The Most As A Bahá'�

zanOTK

It's become routine for me. Someone asks where I go to church, I say I don't attend a church, they ask why, I say I'm a Bahá'í. After explaining what exactly that means (we're not too well known in Arkansas), they usually ask: But, what about Jesus?

A concept they find difficult to understand is that yes, Bahá'ís can, and do, believe in Jesus. We just don't believe He was God. Or, ya know, rose from the dead. We also don't believe God suddenly went silent after Jesus died. We believe that He's sent a new Messenger, with an updated message for a more mature people.

And that would be where you sometimes get conspiracy nuts claiming we're following the Antichrist. Oh well. You can't win them all.

"What about Jesus" will always be the cry of those who think his deity and all embracing love/power is self evident.  I don't think you are getting that because you are a Baha'i.  It's something that is likely to be met by anyone who is professing a form - any form - of non-Christian spirituality and is in the company of Christians.

I get it from non-Christians too, oddly enough.

Perhaps because they live within a Christian social structure and see that as the default belief system for those with a "religion".

That's probably true.