Goodbye Jesus

What Are You Favourite Lame Christian Excuses?

Castiel233

I hate the "God gave us free will" and/or "It's all a result of the Fall" excuses for why there is disease/pain/evil/death/suffering/etc in the world.

• Like 1

I was told by a family memeber that God took my wife to save her from something worse.  God let my wife suffer with anxiety and bi-polar for over a year before he decided that she needed to go. 

God doesn't send people to hell.. we choose it for ourselves.. by rejecting Jesus and thus being subject to his holy divine wrath, which is an immutable aspect of his nature, and  goshdarnit isn't it so mindblowingly amazing that he spares anyone at all???

• Like 4

This little doozy of a convo I had the other day had like 4 lame excuses wrapped up in one long paragraph. But I'll only suffer you with a snippet...  Astounding!

I know who I am and what I'm doing. If I could prove God by science,what would become of Faith & Belief? There is no faith if it adds up it adds up that's a fact. Science is a fact. God is a Fact, that only Belief can prove. If God was science then morals would be no more because it would be fact and it would add up on paper. That's the true gift your agency. Without the science to prove God's existence, the only other way is through belief & faith. Faith without works is dead.

• Like 2

When someone would wrong me, a well intentioned Christian friend would often say, "well, you might not see justice in this life but in the after life, God will bring justice."

Never liked that comment. It's almost like religious people HAVE to say something in every given situation. :shrug:

• Like 1

David “really a lizard” Cameron, ...

We have our share. Lizard of the house John L. Boehner, Lizard majority leader Harry L. Reid, Lizard-in-Chief Barack L. Obama, Chief Lizard John L. Roberts, Chris L. Christie, Ted L. Cruz, Hillary L. Clinton, et al. All lizards, even the atheist Muslim from Kenya.

One man on his own website, while loving Jesus ever so much stated that asking for money is against federal law. Not being an American I don't know if that is true or not (and I am not in the mood to sit through the US penal codes)……..

Just take it on faith.

It's very christian convenience to say that all horrible things happen because god, as all knowing/seeing, already knew that it was the only thing that would work. I've actually seen these excuses for the use of war, famine and abuse. (because all knowing/seeing god can never seem to find alternatives other than violence, abuse and bloodshed.)

Also, they try to nuance the obcene BS by saying "allow" as opposed to "cause". Yeah, creates and sustains all things, nothing exists that he didn't create, nothing can exist without him, but the ugly stuff is just something he allows, and is totally different than causing it even though he is omnipotent.

• Like 1

It's almost like religious people HAVE to say something in every given situation. Wendyshrug.gif

Totally.

How about this gem:

Someone has been suffering for a while and many people have been praying for healing and relief from the pain. The person ends up dying, and the Christians all end up saying "They're healed now, praise god! He/she is in a better place".  Why pray for healing and relief if god is just gonna take them anyway. What do we learn from that? What crazy assed lesson is god trying to teach us in that?

Sickening. Just sickening.

God doesn't send people to hell.. we choose it for ourselves.. by rejecting Jesus and thus being subject to his holy divine wrath, which is an immutable aspect of his nature, and  goshdarnit isn't it so mindblowingly amazing that he spares anyone at all???

So amazing, because we are all scum by nature.

There was a Muslim quote somewhere that reminded me of this: "...If a man were covered from head to foot with weeping sores oozing pus, and his wife were to come to him and lick his sores (to clean them), this would not fulfill the rights he has over her."

Whenever the evidence of reality creates dissonance with what Christian's are 'supposed' to believe, you either hear Christians explain the incongruency with 1) "God is just testing you", or the alternative, 2) "Satan is trying to dupe you".  Funny that with these two excuses Christians are demonstrating the belief that God and Satan are basically two sides of the same coin.

• Like 3

Ahh the old bait and switch....sell you the Mystery Of Christ until its clearly nonsense, then whack the blame on the dark winged lord instead

How about this gem:

Someone has been suffering for a while and many people have been praying for healing and relief from the pain. The person ends up dying, and the Christians all end up saying "They're healed now, praise god! He/she is in a better place".  Why pray for healing and relief if god is just gonna take them anyway. What do we learn from that? What crazy assed lesson is god trying to teach us in that?

And if they do get healed they're just going to die later of something else.  I always think about those kids we used to pray for the ones with diseases.  And then it hit me one day that if they survive their disease they might just go on to die of something worse.  What if we prayed for someone to survive their lung cancer but they died ten years later in a house fire?  It's one of many reasons I stopped praying. 

We were taught at sunday school that all the original disciples of Jesus died bloody deaths.  Some of them were crucified.  I don't know where they came up with these "facts" since they are not found in the bible.  Nevertheless, that's how god treats his "beloved."  Now if that all were true, that's the thanks they got for serving their Lord, and then, they have to put up with him forever.

We were taught at sunday school that all the original disciples of Jesus died bloody deaths.  Some of them were crucified.  I don't know where they came up with these "facts" since they are not found in the bible.  Nevertheless, that's how god treats his "beloved."  Now if that all were true, that's the thanks they got for serving their Lord, and then, they have to put up with him forever.

I never understood that either. The saints that allowed themselved to be tortured in the name of Jesus. God allowed that? And was proud of it? WTF?

Whenever the evidence of reality creates dissonance with what Christian's are 'supposed' to believe, you either hear Christians explain the incongruency with 1) "God is just testing you", or the alternative, 2) "Satan is trying to dupe you".  Funny that with these two excuses Christians are demonstrating the belief that God and Satan are basically two sides of the same coin.

And then they, the ones who invented Satan, accuse non-Christians of worshipping the Satan they don’t believe in.

• Like 1

This little doozy of a convo I had the other day had like 4 lame excuses wrapped up in one long paragraph. But I'll only suffer you with a snippet...  Astounding!

I know who I am and what I'm doing. If I could prove God by science,what would become of Faith & Belief? There is no faith if it adds up it adds up that's a fact. Science is a fact. God is a Fact, that only Belief can prove. If God was science then morals would be no more because it would be fact and it would add up on paper. That's the true gift your agency. Without the science to prove God's existence, the only other way is through belief & faith. Faith without works is dead.

Reminds me of Mr. Doubletalk:  http://doubletalk.com/video-library.php

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sweetcakes

What grinds my gear is when they play the blame game. "Satan made me do this...made me act this way....etc" They don't take responsibility for their own actions. 

"I lied to you" - Satan made me did it
"Cheated on you" - Satan made me did it. 

Etc..

Even better, if you do something to them or whatever, you won't dare hear them say how it's Satan's fault. 

• Like 2

Several things:

When Christians do atrocious things to other people or cause pain to others, everyone else rationalizes it by saying that person was never really a true Christian, or they turned their back on god. Because how could a true Christian ever be so cruel or messed up?

When people tell me god will heal my chronic illness and to keep praying for healing. This makes me mad. To me it's a way for them to not have to deal with my suffering. "Don't worry god will heal you in his own time." Um, it's been six years. I don't think it's magically going to go away. There is no cure for what I have and it's also not a well know illness, so although I do keep trying to find ways to feel better, it's still a chronic illness... People telling me I just need to wait for god to decide he's done teaching me a lesson piss me off.

• Like 3

I hate the way many of them attribute all their hardships, sufferings and failures on "satan is attacking god's people" or "satan is after the church" kind of crap. talk about self importance.

• Like 1

"Everything happens for a reason"; see also "It's all God's plan".

Of course everything happens for a reason, but a mundane one. The cat is dead for the reason that the car ran over it.

• Like 2

God works in a mysterious way

Lame, boring, cliche

God works in a mysterious way

Lame, boring, cliche

Ignorance really is not all that mysterious...except to those that are totally fooled by it.

is it really that hard for some people to utter the words "I do not know"?

• Like 1

Western evangelicalism does seem rather "picky and choosy" when deciding which commands of Jesus to follow, and to what extent. I guess that's their interpretation of "grace": do what you want, when you want, and only if you want. And let Jesus pick up the slack.

For those who haven't seen it, I encourage you to watch NonStampCollector's video about interpreting Jesus. He uses reductio ad absurdem brilliantly to expose how Christians dismiss Jesus' commands.

The problem is, there are so many contradictions in the bible, that one must cherry pick in order to call themselves a bible believer. Every Christian group accuses others of cherry picking. They all do it!! They all must do it! They pick the one's they like and say the others don't mean what they say because the versus they like defiantly mean what they say, while the next Christian group likes the versus the first group thinks don't mean what they say, only the second group thinks they do mean what they say and thus believe the verses the first group thinks mean what they say actually don't mean what they say...

It's all fucking absurd!!!

"Everything happens for a reason"; see also "It's all God's plan".

Of course everything happens for a reason, but a mundane one. The cat is dead for the reason that the car ran over it.

General law of cause and effect.

Guest sweetcakes

How about this gem:

Gosh, I fucking hate when that shit happens. The person died, did their suffering stop? of course it did because their dead, however, all these Christians say when you pray for healing it happens and when it's the desire from your heart it happens, it's all fucking bullshit. 

Praying is suppose to help people, heal them not kill em'.