Goodbye Jesus

James Webb Telescope.

ContraBardus

Personally, I can't wait until we start getting images back from this thing.

http://webbtelescope.org/webb_telescope/

It's an Infrared telescope currently being built that is expected to launch sometime this decade. The plan is to have it orbit the Earth well outside the moon's orbit and take infrared imagery of the cosmos. Giving us a better view of the Universe than we've ever had before. If this thing works like it's supposed too, it'll have an even bigger impact than Hubble did.

I know it's going to be a while before they even launch it, but I'm really looking forward to what this will allow us to see assuming it works like it's supposed too. Given the distance it's going, if it has issues like Hubble did, we're probably not going to be going up to fix it. Still, I'm optimistic and really looking forward to what this could show ups.

Here's a life-sized model of the Webb Space Telescope with the people who are working on building it.

webb_model_large.jpg

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Its smaller than I pictured it. But you know -- so what!

I forget -- how much further will it see compared to the Hubble?

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Its smaller than I pictured it. But you know -- so what!

I forget -- how much further will it see compared to the Hubble?

I don't know that they have an exact projected distance. They're hoping to get a look at the beginnings of the Universe though. This is supposed to allow us to see light that has red shifted out of the visible spectrum. So well beyond our current limitations if everything works they way they expect it to.

Great links you've posted there, ContraBardus! 

Thanks.  goodjob.gif

Here's a link that should help you out, Fweethawt.

http://lunar.colorado.edu/publicfiles/tiny/files/lunar10jwst.pdf

Please scroll down to the fourth image, "(1) What is First Light, Reionization, and Galaxy Assembly?"  The look-back capabilities Hubble Space Telescope (HST), the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) and the JWST are compared.

Btw, there's no mistake about the WMAP's look-back distance.

It can look back to about 380 - 400,000 years after our Big Bang because it's observing microwave radiation, not infrared or visible light.

If all goes well and things pan out as theory suggests, the JWST should be able to look back past the era of the very first stars, to the cosmic Dark Age.  This was the period when the hydrogen, helium and lithium formed in the Big Bang was coalescing into collapsing clouds of gas that would later become the first stars.

Thanks,

BAA.

Very exciting!

I've been hearing about this for so long (since around 2000, maybe?), that I'm just thrilled they're actually building the thing. I'm looking forward to some great observations with it.

The James Webb Infrared space telescope if successfully placed in the proper orbit, and if it becomes fully functional, will have the ability to see redshifts from z=8 to maybe z=20 which is thought to be near the beginning of the Big Bang universe. The James Webb telescope, along with the long baseline Atacama radio array, will have the ability to generally prove the Big Bang model or provide very strong evidence against it. If these scopes find all very young blue galaxies at these great distances, with no appearance of large, red, old appearing galaxies, then nearly all the other myriad proposed alternative cosmological models of a much older or infinite aged universe will generally be disproved. On the other hand if these scopes continue seeing large, red, old appearing galaxies at these farthest distances like the Hubble Space telescope has found, then the present model of cosmology will generally be disproved. They would then have to invent another hypothesis to greatly increase the age of the universe, or look to other cosmological models (most are presently unknown to theorists) to explain observations, or they probably would do both.  I expect we will know after the James Webb is up for maybe 4-5 years, if not sooner.

Either way it's awesome.