Goodbye Jesus

87% Of Christians Say Jesus Would Disapprove Of Christianity

Storm

This poll provided some interesting info regarding what Christians think of their faith. So, if they think Jesus would disapprove, why don't they change it? and if he did disapprove, why doesn't he communicate with them his disapproval and change it now?

Here are some comments:

"It is only required of a Christian to believe that Jesus is the son of God. He would be sad to see our behavior but forgive us.”

“He would care less about religious beliefs, and more about their actions and what's in their hearts.”

“It all depends. Christianity after 2 millennium is certainly different. I would think he'd understand the changes and feel sympathetic to all while still giving a concrete belief system to all.”

and my favorite...

“Overall it's better than it used to be, still not perfect.”

So God gave us this amazing perfect religion that is the True WayTM and yet "its better than it used to be, still not perfect". At least we aren't into slavery and killing witches and treating our women like property anymore. So I guess its better...Wendyshrug.gif 

• Like 4

This poll provided some interesting info regarding what Christians think of their faith. So, if they think Jesus would disapprove, why don't they change it? and if he did disapprove, why doesn't he communicate with them his disapproval and change it now?

Here are some comments:

"It is only required of a Christian to believe that Jesus is the son of God. He would be sad to see our behavior but forgive us.”

“He would care less about religious beliefs, and more about their actions and what's in their hearts.”

“It all depends. Christianity after 2 millennium is certainly different. I would think he'd understand the changes and feel sympathetic to all while still giving a concrete belief system to all.”

and my favorite...

“Overall it's better than it used to be, still not perfect.”

So God gave us this amazing perfect religion that is the True WayTM and yet "its better than it used to be, still not perfect". At least we aren't into slavery and killing witches and treating our women like property anymore. So I guess its better...Wendyshrug.gif

But apparently you can do all that (killing and raping etc) and "He would be sad to see our behavior but forgive us.” because "It is only required of a Christian to believe that Jesus is the son of God"

A truly disgusting belief system...

• Super Moderator

This revelation just makes them look even dumber.

• Super Moderator

This revelation just makes them look even dumber.

As opposed to what...

As opposed to when we assumed Christians and Jesus were at least on the same page.

This is why religion is clearly man made. If man can tamper with it or twist it to represent what he wishes, it's clearly a man made invention.

If the Bible is God's Word, it would be immovable.

I read this quote recently by Nietzsche ..."Is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's blunders?"

The fact that people are speculating as to what "God in the flesh" would want or forgive, just points to it being man made. Ironically, man intuitively knows what "God" wants and doesn't.

The poll's question:

If Jesus suddenly came back to earth today,

would he approve or disapprove of modern Christianity?

When you go to answer the question you are not asked if you are a Christian.

How can it be assumed that 87% of Christians believe Jesus would disapprove?

The poll's question:

This is not an assumed answer, it is the result of a poll. Christians are saying this about their own religion.

Ah, but, you see, they'd have to think that Jesus would disapprove of Christianity (most of them, anyway), since their Christianity's the only one doing it RIGHT. A fun followup question would have been: "which of the following denominations do you think are real Christians?" Also, they're kind of committed to believing that Jesus would have to disapprove of most Christianity, in order for "persecution and corruption" levels to be approaching the End of Days, which they think will have to be any day now, right? ... right? Any day now... Wait for it....

Yeah, I'm not going to hold my breath in anticipation.

This is why religion is clearly man made. If man can tamper with it or twist it to represent what he wishes, it's clearly a man made invention.If the Bible is God's Word, it would be immovable.I read this quote recently by Nietzsche ..."Is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's blunders?"The fact that people are speculating as to what "God in the flesh" would want or forgive, just points to it being man made. Ironically, man intuitively knows what "God" wants and doesn't.

The results of the poll, and the comments, all but admit it. Even if people still believe in a supernatural god, they're admitting that humans make religion what it is. Thanks for the Nietzsche quote.

YW :)

On another note...

No one ever speaks too much about Gnosticism, which actually sounds like it was the early form of Christianity until Constantine had his way. Some serious differences between Gnosticism and the version of Christianity I followed.

I understand the skeptical look at the survey, I tend to be that way with these surveys. I didn't check the poll, but did it not ask if you were a Christian?

Also the denominations thing: So many potential damnable heresies, or at least "serious doctrinal errors".

And the modern phenomenon of saying Christ is true but religion is the problem. None stop to consider that their, and our, version of what and who Christ is has everything to do with the interpretations of the Bible that were deemed acceptable.

There was a popular Xian song on their radio stations about 6 years ago or so, something about Jesus would be offensive to most churches. Of course, most of these target the more liberal Christianity, since the Muscle Warrior Jesus has won the AmeriChristian popularity contest.

It definitely seems like a moving target to me. Another way for Xians to feel like they must not be enough, must not be right, and need to be more fervent in their faith, more true, less doctrinal error. Which cannot be proven or demonstrated, since they now admit it's not behavioral. During the final months when I went to church, they were often talking about how it's not abut behavior. All but admitting it's possible to be good without God.

The poll's question:

Good point.  You have your moments of rational thinking.

".."Is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's blunders?""

Great quote, Diedre32.   I have never heard it before.  bill

• Like 1

The poll's question:

Good point.  You have your moments of rational thinking.

One swallow does not a summer make.

The poll's question:

It's ok, Ironhorse.

You can just to choose NOT to believe anything about the poll.  That way the problem just goes away.

See?  Blind belief solves everything!  ;)

The poll's question:

It's ok, Ironhorse.

You can just to choose NOT to believe anything about the poll.  That way the problem just goes away.

See?  Blind belief solves everything!  wink.png

Blind belief?

Please point out the errors in my judgement of the poll and title of this thread.

If I am wrong I will admit it gladly. :)

The poll's question:

It's ok, Ironhorse.

See?  Blind belief solves everything!  wink.png

Blind belief?

Please point out the errors in my judgement of the poll and title of this thread.

If I am wrong I will admit it gladly. smile.png

Did I say that your blind belief was an error in your judgement of the poll and title of this thread?

Nope.

I'm simply implying that the blind belief you employ in other threads to deny the proven historical facts would be helpful for you here.

If you don't wish to employ your bottomless supply of blind belief in this thread, that's your choice.

If I am wrong I will admit it gladly. smile.png

You are right about the poll.  However your posting history shows that you have not gladly admitted it on any of the other occasions when you were wrong.  A broken, old-fasioned clock is right twice a day even though it's hand never move.

Ironhorse, you are correct and I misread the poll, however, its clear in the comments that Christians are answering the poll and considering that nearly 60k people have responded, it's logical to conclude that probably at least half the people who responded are Christians considering the majority (75-85%) of Americans claim to be Christians. So maybe the official results aren't 87%, but it's still very likely that the majority of the people who answered were Christian, so the premise still stands. Christians feel that Jesus would disapprove of today's modern Christianity.

This is why religion is clearly man made. If man can tamper with it or twist it to represent what he wishes, it's clearly a man made invention.If the Bible is God's Word, it would be immovable.I read this quote recently by Nietzsche ..."Is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's blunders?"The fact that people are speculating as to what "God in the flesh" would want or forgive, just points to it being man made. Ironically, man intuitively knows what "God" wants and doesn't.

The results of the poll, and the comments, all but admit it. Even if people still believe in a supernatural god, they're admitting that humans make religion what it is. Thanks for the Nietzsche quote.

YW smile.png

On another note...

No one ever speaks too much about Gnosticism, which actually sounds like it was the early form of Christianity until Constantine had his way. Some serious differences between Gnosticism and the version of Christianity I followed.

Deidre,

There are Gnostic Christian sects who regard Yahweh as an evil lesser god. They believe the "Heavenly Father" whom Jesus spoke of, is the true God of love and light. But there is more to Gnosticism, and I don't want to oversimplify it. Wiccans have also told me their view, which is similar to Gnosticism in some ways, and wiccans believe not in supernatural beings but in "energies."

So, according to the survey 87% of respondents think Jesus would disapprove of Christianity as it is today. I wonder what type of Christianity they think he would approve of, and why they don't simply make it like that.

I should add that during my deconversion, the first issue I dealt with was casting out Yahweh. So, I went through a period of some years when my views were very Gnostic in the sense I described briefly above.

Human

I get the sense from the poll that it's not so much that Christianity, its doctrines need to change, but rather its followers are not 'walking the walk,' so to speak. Whatever that walk even is, to be honest.

There are so many denominations, all fragmented ...I remember thinking along these lines as a Christian, too. That Jesus preached unity, and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of unity amongst Christians.

That's just my read on it, anyway.

• Super Moderator

Ironhorse, you are correct and I misread the poll, however, its clear in the comments that Christians are answering the poll and considering that nearly 60k people have responded, it's logical to conclude that probably at least half the people who responded are Christians considering the majority (75-85%) of Americans claim to be Christians. So maybe the official results aren't 87%, but it's still very likely that the majority of the people who answered were Christian, so the premise still stands. Christians feel that Jesus would disapprove of today's modern Christianity.

Wow!  See how open-minded people are willing to change their positions based on new information, ideas, or questions?  It's almost like we are free to think for ourselves!  Way to go Ironhorse!  And I mean that sincerely; I am not being sarcastic.

Jesus TOLD me he disapproves of today's xianity so I know that's the correct answer.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Jesus TOLD me he disapproves of today's xianity so I know that's the correct answer.

Allah told me otherwise, you infidel!

Just received a news bulletin from Zeus . . . .

• Super Moderator

Just received a news bulletin from Zeus . . . .

Have petitioned Thor, still waiting...