Goodbye Jesus

Positive Thread To Support Ex-Cs With Depression Struggles At The Moment

FreeThinkerNZ

Up until the last six months I have been able to manage depression by exercising. Usually my periods of depression would go away after a few weeks. The last six months I felt depressed even during and after exercising. The exercising makes me feel good, but underneath I feel tired of life.

I know you're not a fan of medication, so... have you considered Omega 3 fish oil?  There is some evidence that it can help with depression.  I take it, but it's hard to know what effect its having because I also take meds.  

Up until the last six months I have been able to manage depression by exercising. Usually my periods of depression would go away after a few weeks. The last six months I felt depressed even during and after exercising. The exercising makes me feel good, but underneath I feel tired of life.

I know you're not a fan of medication, so... have you considered Omega 3 fish oil?  There is some evidence that it can help with depression.  I take it, but it's hard to know what effect its having because I also take meds.

Thanks, I have been following Brother Jeff's suggestion and take some Chia seeds. Also I take a couple of fish oil pills. I don't notice any effect, but I suppose it would be gradual.

I learned recently about the shrunken brain regions in depressed people and neurogenesis. So it seems like nutrients and brain exercises might restore those regions. I try to meditate a little bit once in a while as my brain exercise.

On a positive note, I bet 10 years from now we will have much more effective treatments for depression due to the new understanding of mechanisms.

Thanks, I have been following Brother Jeff's suggestion and take some Chia seeds. Also I take a couple of fish oil pills. I don't notice any effect, but I suppose it would be gradual.

I learned recently about the shrunken brain regions in depressed people and neurogenesis. So it seems like nutrients and brain exercises might restore those regions. I try to meditate a little bit once in a while as my brain exercise.

On a positive note, I bet 10 years from now we will have much more effective treatments for depression due to the new understanding of mechanisms.

Well, it could be argued that we already have effective treatments for most people's depression; the challenge is to develop treatments that are both effective and likely to be accepted by more patients than the ones we have now.

This is a really good impartial non-profit website about a range of health topics, including depression and other mental health issues.  Highly recommended:

http://www.helpguide.org/

Mental and emotional health is increasingly linked to how we deal with stress and other lifestyle choices. Helpguide can help you make better choices, find healthier ways to cope with problems, and resolve mental and emotional issues.

While there is no one-size-fits-all solution to the challenges of mental and emotional health, Helpguide provides all the resources you need to identify and understand your specific problems—as well as the tools you need to resolve them.

The 30 topic homepages and more than 200 articles, videos, and other resources that make up Helpguide can be accessed via the drop-down menus above. Our materials are based on the latest research, updated regularly by our team of experienced mental health professionals and writers. We also collaborate closely with Harvard Health Publications / Harvard Medical School to ensure Helpguide provides you and your family with mental health answers you can trust.

• Like 1

I often experience foggy thinking where I can't focus on my work and I find myself staring into space with some incomplete thought circling endlessly.

I have noticed that if I try to meditate instead of trying to do my work, then I can enter a light trance almost instantly and effortlessly, and this make me feel better and clears the fogginess.

My theory is that this foggy state is the brain's way of demanding some time to meditate.

Unfortunately I have a hard time remembering this solution when the fogginess hits.

BTW I rarely meditate (like once a month) and normally it is a lot of work - like I often stare at a candle for 20 minutes before I can feel any change at all. When I have tried meditating in this foggy state of depression, I can simply concentrate on something like a spot on my desk for 30 seconds and I feel something.

So it's not like I'm a meditation guru at all. I have only tried this a few times, but it is interesting.

View all the cartoon images here: http://twentytwowords.com/what-if-helpful-advice-about-mental-illness-were-given-about-physical-problems-too/

What If “Helpful” Advice About Mental Illness Were Given About Physical Problems, Too
NOV 6, 2014  BY ABRAHAM  6

The absurdity of some people’s responses to mental illness is emphasized when you imagine those same comments being made about physical maladies.

From Robot Hugs

Helpful-Advice.jpg?d166f5

• Like 1