Goodbye Jesus

So What Tracks Are On Awesome Mix # 2?

bornagainathiest

As the happy owner of a Walkman ( along time ago)  I'm... loving ...Awesome Mix  # 1!  yellow.gif

But now that Peter (Star Lord) Quill has opened his mom's last gift, I can't help wondering what else is on that tape.

Any thoughts as to what we'll hear?

• Like 1

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

GotG-Pix.jpg

• Like 1

I saw the movie. It was awesome!

I can't believe they're making the CDs of his mix tapes. That's pretty cool.

Are they making the second one for sure?

I saw the movie. It was awesome!

I can't believe they're making the CDs of his mix tapes. That's pretty cool.

Are they making the second one for sure?

I'm 99% certain that I saw the words, "Guardians of the Galaxy will return" when the credits were rolling.

This is from the Wiki page on the film.

Sequel

In May 2014 Bob Iger, CEO of The Walt Disney Company, noted the potential of making Guardians of the Galaxy into a franchise, saying, "We’re looking forward to introducing the world to more fantastic Marvel storytelling, with a great cast of new characters in Guardians of the Galaxy, which we screened last week and we believe it has strong franchise potential."[187] He added, "I'm not going to predict that we've got another Avengers on our hands, but that's certainly the goal."[188]Later in the month, Gunn revealed that, should a sequel film be made, he would like to return, in addition to being contractually obligated if asked.[18] In June 2014, Feige added, "should this film work, should the audience come out for this one, there are definitely places we can take [the franchise] and we have ideas of where we'd like to go with it," due to the wide array of characters, worlds and story lines from Guardians comics.[126]

In July 2014, co-screenwriter Nicole Perlman confirmed a sequel, saying it was "going to happen" due to the positive response, and confirmed that Gunn would write and direct.[189][190] At San Diego Comic-Con 2014, a sequel was confirmed to be in development, with a release date of July 28, 2017.[191] Also in July, Gunn said he knew "a lot of where I want to go [in the sequel]. I have a lot of ideas for stories and characters that are going to appear, and there are documents written up." Gunn added he hoped to explore more about Quill's father, Yondu, Drax and Nebula, as well as expand on Xandarian, Kree, Krylorian and Ravager culture.[88]Gunn also said he was exploring a potential crossover with the Avengers, saying, "We talked about all sorts of possibilities [for a crossover] and I kind of know what the basic plan is. It could always change at any minute. That could or could not include a couple of Avengers and a couple of Guardians meeting up, or all of the Avengers and all of the Guardians. But, we do inhabit the same universe and they’re pretty big personalities that are likely to, at some point or another, run into each other."[192] In August, Gunn stated that "at least one more Guardian from the comics" should appear in the sequel,[193] and revealed that he had started working on the film.[194]

Thats funny! I didn't mean a second movie (although I wouldn't be opposed to it for sure). I was asking if they're going to put out the second mix tape as part of the original soundtrack.

As far as the movie goes, even though I'd never heard of the Guardians prior to seeing it, I was just as impressed with the movie as I was The Avengers and the second Captain America.

I'm laughing at myself now too!  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

I'm 100% certain, so you're right. It definitely said Guardians of the Galaxy will return. It's going to be a trilogy of films in fact, everyone is under contract to do three movies. I've been more excited about this movie than most people because I've been reading GotG for years on and off.

As for what's on it, I'd say songs from the 60s. The Awesome Mix Vol. 1 tape is all hit songs from the 70s. The two songs we hear from Vol. 2 in the film, "I want you back" and "Ain't No Mountain" are both from the sixties. Given the first tape's theme is all 70s hits, the second tape is probably following the same theme from a different decade. Maybe some Beatles, James Brown, Hendrix, Otis Redding, Aretha, Beach Boys, the Shadows, the Archies.  Probably no Led Zeppelin because of how hard it is to license their music for movies.

Not sure the tape will factor into the sequel as much though. It kind of ran it's course plot wise in this movie. I'm sure it'll show up in the sequel, but I don't think it'll be nearly as prominent as it was in this film. Overall it's one of the better Marvel films. Lots of fun, doesn't take itself too seriously, and actually manages to dip it's toes into the complex web that is the Marvel Cosmos. Seriously, it's some confusing and complicated shit.

Would have been nice to see a Nova Centurion in the movie. Aside from Nova Prime we don't see anyone above Denarian Rank in the movie. As I understand it they were helmetless because James Gunn hates the Nova corps helmet and thinks it looks stupid.

Interestingly, the John C. Reilly character is the same Nova who gives the original Nova his powers in the comics, he's a Corpsman in the film. He'll probably be getting a promotion after the events in GotG as he was a Centurion when that happened in the comics. That is assuming that they don't alter that if they do a Nova movie, it'd be nice to see Reilly get that part and I think he could pull it off. We might be seeing a Nova movie in the next phase according to rumor. That would be seriously cool because it would probably mean a fight between Richard Rider and Zorr in a movie, which would be awesome. I suspect if they do it Zorr would be working for Thanos in some capacity.

According to James Gunn Starlord's dad is not going to be J'Son like it is in the comics. No word on who it will be of course.

I'm wondering who they're going to add in the sequel. Cosmo is definitely not joining the team according to Gunn. He's there as a Easter Egg more than anything else according to Gunn. Iron Man has been a member in the past. I don't see him joining up in the movies though. Adam Warlock is likely as he's in this movie, well sort of. He's there though and if you pay attention you'll see his cocoon is open in the after credits scene. I fully expect him to join the team in the next GotG film.

I'd like to see Quazar in the cinematic universe. That would be seriously cool. It'd be nice if she had a part in the next one, but they might save her for the third movie. Moondragon or Mantis would be cool too. Mantis seems less likely as they already have a green skinned woman on the team with Gamora. If they want to go the strange route, Bug would be a good addition.

I don't expect to see Agent Venom, Angela, or Captain Marvel. We may get a Captain Marvel film in the next phase before the next GotG, but I think they'll keep her out of the next film. Maybe she'll be in the third one. Venom is a Spider-Man character, so he's Sony. I'm not sure about the status of Angela either, as she was originally a Spawn character.

I also don't see any of the original Guardians from the 70s popping up as anything more than an Easter Egg in a scene or two. That would be cool, but they were a bit too weird and haven't aged all that well.

Also, I would go see a Howard the Duck movie with that version of Howard. That would be an awesome Phase 3 surprise film. If they can make GotG work this well, they can make an awesome Howard the Duck movie too. Yeah, the 80s film is a cult classic so bad it's good shlockfest. They can make a movie good enough to get that bad taste out of the mouth of people who saw it. It worked for Dredd, and it can work for Howard the Duck.

Tossing a Starjammers Easter Egg into the next movie would be nice too. Sony owns X-men so they really wouldn't work as anything more than that. [The leader of that group is Cyclops's dad.]

I expect that Awesome Mix 2 will form part of Guardians of the Galaxy 2.  It makes sense to hang on to that.

I really loved the movie.  It was so epic.

I'm just a bit flabbergasted by what Marvel have achieved if you step back and look at it.  The broader franchise is now TEN movies long.  I know that it's made up of individual franchises, but with the latest movie it's really clear that this is working towards a major endgame with the six Infinity Stones, only three of which we have encountered so far.

Think about it...

Historically, a successful franchise was one that could produce a trilogy, all of which were strong.  And usually the magic was wearing off by film three.

But here's a franchise where the TENTH film is arguably the best yet -- and leaves you wanting more and more.

Marvel are absolutely shit-hot.  I think in the future we'll look back and have to regard this as the best and most successful movie project ever.

Long live Marvel! 

You make an excellent point, Square1!

Ten movies and still going strong!

I just Googled 'James Bond' and that franchise is up twenty-six films, starting in 1962.  DC have got a long way to go to make up or catch up to Marvel's lead.

Long live Marvel!

There are twelve Marvel/Disney movies in the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" as they have dubbed it. That's not counting Spider-Man and X-men. [Most of the Sony films were decent as well.] Not to mention the Punisher Films, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Blade, Man-Thing, and Howard the Duck. There are actually more than 39 Marvel films. The Marvel/Disney run has been the best, but we've had Marvel movies for a long time now and there are more of them than Bond films. Yes, a lot of them weren't very good, but only a handful were outright bad. Even most of the non-Disney Marvel films have been at least halfway decent, but there are a few turkeys in there like X-men Origins Wolverine, Spider-man 3, Blade 3, Howard the Duck, Ghost Rider SoV, etc...

Plus, I wouldn't exactly say the Bond Films were "going strong" ten films in. They weren't bad, but they weren't really good by that point. No 11 was "Moonraker", and "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and "Man with the Golden Gun" are in that mix. Don't get me wrong, they weren't awful, but they were goofy to the point of stupid and more comedy than anything else by that point. Bond has always been fun, but it got more and more hokey and self aware to the point that it was almost a parody of what it started out as. Then tried to get all edgy and failed before going back to charming and tongue in cheek again for a bit before Craig came along and made serious and edgy work. They were basically fodder for the genesis of Mystery Science Theater 3000 in the seventies and Eighties. Brosnan was the best in a while in the 90s, but he was still doing what was basically a modern interpretation of the 60s Connery Bond and it came off a little campy.

Disney/Marvel is outdoing Bond as far as quality goes by this point by quite a bit, not all the movies were great mind, but they were all at least good. The worst of them was Iron Man 2 was watchable even if it wasn't anything special, and it was less campy than the best of the pre-Craig Bond films. I also didn't mind what they did to the Mandarin, as I see it it's actually quite like him to use a double that way. I suspect we may actually meet the real Mandarin later on in the franchise. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's not the actual bad guy in Iron Man 4 that the after credits scene is a shot of Mandarin's hand showing his rings.

One thing I'd like to see is a concurrent storyline with one of the other Marvel films where a scene involving a brief meeting between two characters is shown from two different perspectives in two different movies. For example, Thor dropping in and helping out Iron Man for a scene in an Iron Man movie, and then the same scene in a Thor movie showing how he happened to come across Tony while doing his own thing and stopping to lend a hand for a moment. This sort of thing happens in comics all the time and it would be a nice touch to toss a scene like that in there now that there is an established world with multiple heroes.

Contra,

I must beg your permission to disagree with the way you have counted your films.

First - I'm quite sure you'll find there are ten films so far released in the present run of Marvel movies in which GOTG appears.  The "Marvel Cinematic Universe" or MCU.

1. Iron Man

2. The Incredible Hulk

3. Iron Man 2

4. Thor

5. Captain America

6. The Avengers

7. Iron Man 3

8. Thor: The Dark World

9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

10. Guardians of the Galaxy

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is part of the same universe but it's not a movie.

These are the canon of the MCU, to which I was referring when I said that this series of Marvel movies is very good.  What did you think the other 2 are?

Yes, there are other Marvel movies out there, a lot of them.  But they are in discreet units.  e.g. the original Spider-man trilogy (Toby Macquire).  The Amazing Spider-man 1 and 2 (Garfield).  These are made by Sony.

The seven X-Men movies released from X-men to Days of Future Past (all featuring Hugh Jackman and others).  These are made by Warner Bros.

So they are separate things.

The James Bond movies are interesting.  There's no reason to believe that Connery and Brosnan are meant to be the same iteration of Bond, and I'm not sure about earlier iterations.  Certainly Craig is something entirely different.  So those too are in discreet units of films.

According to James Gunn Starlord's dad is not going to be J'Son like it is in the comics. No word on who it will be of course.

I'm wondering who they're going to add in the sequel. Cosmo is definitely not joining the team according to Gunn. He's there as a Easter Egg more than anything else according to Gunn. Iron Man has been a member in the past. I don't see him joining up in the movies though. Adam Warlock is likely as he's in this movie, well sort of. He's there though and if you pay attention you'll see his cocoon is open in the after credits scene. I fully expect him to join the team in the next GotG film.

Based on the status of the cocoon in the after credits scene, I agree that it's a good bet that Adam Warlock will feature prominently into the next one.

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS*** In fact, there's a lot of speculation that he could end up being Peter Quill's dad in the MCU, based on what Yondu and Quill's mom said about him. ***END POSSIBLE SPOILERS****

Also, here's hoping that Richard Rider will show up in the next one and launch a spinoff.

Contra,

I must beg your permission to disagree with the way you have counted your films.

First - I'm quite sure you'll find there are ten films so far released in the present run of Marvel movies in which GOTG appears.  The "Marvel Cinematic Universe" or MCU.

1. Iron Man

2. The Incredible Hulk

3. Iron Man 2

4. Thor

5. Captain America

6. The Avengers

7. Iron Man 3

8. Thor: The Dark World

9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

10. Guardians of the Galaxy

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is part of the same universe but it's not a movie.

These are the canon of the MCU, to which I was referring when I said that this series of Marvel movies is very good.  What did you think the other 2 are?

Yes, there are other Marvel movies out there, a lot of them.  But they are in discreet units.  e.g. the original Spider-man trilogy (Toby Macquire).  The Amazing Spider-man 1 and 2 (Garfield).  These are made by Sony.

The seven X-Men movies released from X-men to Days of Future Past (all featuring Hugh Jackman and others).  These are made by Warner Bros.

So they are separate things.

The James Bond movies are interesting.  There's no reason to believe that Connery and Brosnan are meant to be the same iteration of Bond, and I'm not sure about earlier iterations.  Certainly Craig is something entirely different.  So those too are in discreet units of films.

You're right about the Marvel Movies. I mistakenly counted Avengers 2 and Ant Man for some reason.

Those other movies are all Marvel movies. They all start with the same logo or some iteration of it. The "Cinematic Universe" is it's own separate continuity. I made the distinction in my post, but those other movies still count if you're going to count the Bond films as one group. Each actor has his own continuity in those films and quite happily ignores things from previous films. On the other hand, if you want to say that Bond is one character, then no Marvel franchise has gone beyond four films and that's only if you count Avengers in with Iron Man and Hulk. They may share a universe, but each character is a separate franchise if you look at it that way. [i deliberately ignored made for TV films just in case someone wants to bring up the TV Hulk movie.]

Incidentally, there's a rumor going around that Disney might be trying to buy WB. Meaning they would then obtain all the rights to all the WB produced Marvel characters as well.

Also in regard to Bond, I never said they weren't interesting. They were good enough to get me to watch the whole series multiple times. Some are better than others, but the quality didn't last through ten films. They got hokey and pretty much became big budget B movies for a time. They were still fun to watch, but not for the same reasons as the initial bond films. They were pretty much spy comedies by the time Moore was playing him.

Also, I didn't say that Connery and Brosnan were supposed to be the same iteration. Brosnan went back to a more traditional suave and cool Bond after Dalton's edgy emo Bond and Moore's charming clown Bond. They all had at least one film that fell flat, even Connery made one with Never Say Never Again, which is pretty much a not as good remake of Thunderball.

Based on the status of the cocoon in the after credits scene, I agree that it's a good bet that Adam Warlock will feature prominently into the next one.

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS*** In fact, there's a lot of speculation that he could end up being Peter Quill's dad in the MCU, based on what Yondu and Quill's mom said about him. ***END POSSIBLE SPOILERS****

Also, here's hoping that Richard Rider will show up in the next one and launch a spinoff.

I'm not sure how I feel about Adam Warlock being Quill's dad. I guess it could work, but I think I'd prefer not. Won't make or break the film for me though, just my inner nerd protesting because it just seems wrong to have Starlord on a team with his dad, especially given his relationship with him in the comics. Rider would be cool as a pre-Nova cameo, but his origin story needs its own movie.

OK.

I know one song which SHOULD be on Volume 2.

Although -- it's a 1969 song.  Bit it's a bit early. :(

OK.

I know one song which SHOULD be on Volume 2.

Although -- it's a 1969 song.  Bit it's a bit early. sad.png

That's what I said in a thread about what should be on the Awesome Mix 2 tape.

Also, it's not "early", "Spirit in the Sky" from the Vol 1 Mix was released in 1969. [it was at the top of the charts in 1970 which is why it fits in the mix tape's theme.] Plus, both the songs we hear on Awesome Mix Vol 2 are from the 60s. "Ain't no Mountain High Enough" and "I want you back" were both chart toppers in the previous decade to the era of the songs on Vol 1.

Here's my reply to a thread elsewhere about what should be on Awesome Mix Vol 2...

Given that every song on Awesome Mix Vol 1 is a chart topping song from the Seventies, and that the two songs we hear from Vol 2 are from the sixties, it’s a pretty good bet the whole tape is songs from the sixties.

Given that theme:

"I Get Around" The Beach Boys

“Sugar Sugar” the Archies

“Bang Bang” Sunny and Cher

“The Locomotion” Little Eva

“Mony Mony” Tommy and the Shondells

“Do Wah Diddy Diddy” Manifred Mann

“The Dock of the Bay” Otis Redding

“Space Oddity” David Bowie

“Good Vibrations” The Beach Boys

That would be an awesome soundtrack that fits with the theme of Vol 1 and what we do hear of Vol 2 at the end.

Good list.

Also I think a bit of Stevie Wonder needs to get in there, for sure.

Some good ones, CB!

Using 1988 as a cut-off date, how 'bout these?

"When The Going Gets Tough"  Billy Ocean

"Danger Zone" Kenny Loggins

"Take The Money And Run" Steve Miller Band

"You're No Good" Linda Ronstadt

"Killer Queen" Queen.................................................about Gamora, maybe?

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" The Rolling Stones

"The Mighty Quinn (Quill)" Manfred Mann wink.png

"All Right Now" Free

"Bang A Gong (Get It On)" T.Rex

"Addicted To Love" Robert Palmer

And since I'm a fossilized Talking Heads fan, I reckon that "Psycho Killer" and "Burning Down The House" deserve a hearing too.

Thanks,

BAA.

Could "If You Leave Me Now" be in there as the moody emotional song?

I don't see why not?

Waiting till 2017 to find out what's on mix # 2 will be hard to do, tho'.

i know right.  omg.  2017!!!!  i want it NOW!  

I'd love another GotG film right now, but I'm pretty happy with what we're getting as well. I'm looking forward to Ant-Man more and more.

Mild possible spoilers from comic book knowledge and press releases for Ant-Man below:

First part of the movie is supposed to be set in the 60s with Pym doing the super hero thing and some stuff happens. Cut to the future and Pym doesn't like superheros and brings in Scott Lang to help him "do one last job". There is no official word as of why of course, but I'm guessing it has something to do with Wasp and her fate [speculation], her daughter Hope Van Dyne is cast in the film though so it's an educated guess. I'm hopeful we'll get to see Janet as Wasp in the film and don't just get a mention of her in exposition. The villain is confirmed Darren Cross will be Yellowjacket.

Pym is kind of an anti-social flake and a bit of a self absorbed egotist, and not in a likeable way. He's prone to being a huge prick in the comics, though things have gotten better recently since he's been dating Tigra in recent comics. I never cared much for him as a character so I'm glad they've opted to have Scott as the lead in the film instead. Pym is a character that's supposed to be a bit abrasive and out of touch with his humanity a little. Seriously, he actually built himself a robot girlfriend with his dead wife's personality and was such a horrible boyfriend that she broke up with him. I do like the idea of Douglas playing him though, I think he can pull it off and we're likely to see him as a gruff old man playing the mentor and not him at his worst.

Hoping to see Hope as Wasp in the film, but I think that they might save that for the sequel and just tease at it. Might have her suiting up for the finale as well, which would be super cool.