Goodbye Jesus

Art Project About Deconversion

greylight

I'd thought I share this here. For one of my  art therapy classes we were to create an artistic book documenting some point in our lives. I chose my deconversion because it changed everything for me. I created an accordian fold book.

IMG_0297.jpg

This is the cover of the book. I painted and glued paper to seem like scales, or a snake shedding its skin. I wanted to keep with the snake-like imagery throughout. I cut a window to peer into the inside. The cover was actually made out of my old bible. I tore the insides out and then painted over it, to make it into something else. It was very cathartic haha.

IMG_0300.jpg

This is when I was in the midst of my deconversion. It's not clear here, but in the background is the city where I lived at the time. The figure is tilted at an angle, because that is how I felt. I distinctly remember walking down the street at feeling like the entire world was tilting and unraveling beneath me. The speech balloon coming out of the mouth says "what am I to do with all this silence" which was a lyric from a perfect circle song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvwt4tBSEQY) that went through my head repeatedly during this time.

IMG_0301.jpg

Imagary is pretty obvious here, I guess.  It was also supposed to show the color coming back to my life as I figured out who I was without god, and what I wanted to do with my life.

IMG_0302.jpgIMG_0303.jpg

This is my currenty atheist life, and although there are still struggles, I know who I am and where I want to be. This was all done in water color, and some collage effects.

IMG_0299.jpg

Here's the whole thing laid, out. I like that it has a serpentine look to it. I was happy with how the project came out, and I was able to express this part of myself. Before, this part of my life was difficult for me to even talk abou, and now I can talk about it more freely.

• Like 7

I really like it. And I kind of love that you used your bible to make it.

I really like it. And I kind of love that you used your bible to make it.

Thanks violet! I ended up throwing the entrails straight into the garabge.

greylight,

This is beautiful. Had you heard of anyone else doing this sort of project, or did you just think it up yourself? Have you thought of teaching/showing other people how to do their own? This is inspiring.

Thanks for sharing. smile.png

Human

Thanks Human!! This type of art is called "Book Art",there are many lovely examples online if you google it. I had to look at a bunch of book binding and folding techniques because I pretty much had to learn to do it from scratch as well...so I'm not sure how well I would do at teaching xD. Book Art comes in many forms, some of it is more sculptural, some of it goes more page by page like mine... I'm really glad you found my work inspiring though!

Wow Wow Wow!! I L-O-V-E this!  Thank you for taking the time to post the pics and explain it!

Are you studying art therapy or is this therapy you are doing? My plan is to pursue a Masters in Art Therapy, hopefully I will be starting the process next summer (fingers crossed). I LOVE this whole project, and I think you did a freaking awesome job.

I love the idea of doing a project like this as a way to express the deconversion process.. I may have to dig up my old Bible and try something similar.. you've given me all sorts of ideas. :D

Thanks again for sharing.. this type of stuff inspires me!

Wow Wow Wow!! I L-O-V-E this!  Thank you for taking the time to post the pics and explain it!

Are you studying art therapy or is this therapy you are doing? My plan is to pursue a Masters in Art Therapy, hopefully I will be starting the process next summer (fingers crossed). I LOVE this whole project, and I think you did a freaking awesome job.

I love the idea of doing a project like this as a way to express the deconversion process.. I may have to dig up my old Bible and try something similar.. you've given me all sorts of ideas. biggrin.png

Thanks so much befuddled!  biggrin.png I am acutally currently studying for a Master's in Art Therapy! I you have questions about it feel free to ask me! This was for one of my classes where it explored different methods of art therapy. The art that we did would be examples of what clients would do... but much of it was sort of like therapy for me in a sense haha. Glad this post inspired you!

• Like 1

I love the idea of doing a project like this as a way to express the deconversion process.. I may have to dig up my old Bible and try something similar.. you've given me all sorts of ideas. biggrin.png

Thanks so much befuddled!  biggrin.png I am acutally currently studying for a Master's in Art Therapy! I you have questions about it feel free to ask me! This was for one of my classes where it explored different methods of art therapy. The art that we did would be examples of what clients would do... but much of it was sort of like therapy for me in a sense haha. Glad this post inspired you!

Oh you're going to be sorry you offered after I keep bugging you. :D

• Like 1

Thanks for posting those. I like looking at art. The scales on the cover are what I like the best. smile.png

Oh you're going to be sorry you offered after I keep bugging you. biggrin.png

nah, it's fine, i have no problem helping out aspiring art therapists ;)

Thanks for posting those. I like looking at art. The scales on the cover are what I like the best. smile.png

Thanks, directionless I like the scales too... the effect came out nice i think

I'd thought I share this here. For one of my  art therapy classes we were to create an artistic book documenting some point in our lives. I chose my deconversion because it changed everything for me. I created an accordian fold book.

IMG_0297.jpg

This is the cover of the book. I painted and glued paper to seem like scales, or a snake shedding its skin. I wanted to keep with the snake-like imagery throughout. I cut a window to peer into the inside. The cover was actually made out of my old bible. I tore the insides out and then painted over it, to make it into something else. It was very cathartic haha.

IMG_0300.jpg

This is when I was in the midst of my deconversion. It's not clear here, but in the background is the city where I lived at the time. The figure is tilted at an angle, because that is how I felt. I distinctly remember walking down the street at feeling like the entire world was tilting and unraveling beneath me. The speech balloon coming out of the mouth says "what am I to do with all this silence" which was a lyric from a perfect circle song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvwt4tBSEQY) that went through my head repeatedly during this time.

IMG_0301.jpg

Imagary is pretty obvious here, I guess.  It was also supposed to show the color coming back to my life as I figured out who I was without god, and what I wanted to do with my life.

IMG_0302.jpgIMG_0303.jpg

This is my currenty atheist life, and although there are still struggles, I know who I am and where I want to be. This was all done in water color, and some collage effects.

IMG_0299.jpg

Here's the whole thing laid, out. I like that it has a serpentine look to it. I was happy with how the project came out, and I was able to express this part of myself. Before, this part of my life was difficult for me to even talk abou, and now I can talk about it more freely.

How beautiful to be able to visualize your journey to deconversion. This moved me so much! Thank you for sharing. smile.png

How beautiful to be able to visualize your journey to deconversion. This moved me so much! Thank you for sharing. smile.png

Thank you deidre, i'm glad my piece moved you

Brilliant work, very inspiring.

• 3 weeks later...

oh my word ..... that's beautiful ....