Goodbye Jesus

Biblical Family Values

TheRedneckProfessor

• Super Moderator

First, god said this:

Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:

And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.  Malachi chapter 4

Then, god said this:

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.  Matthew chapter 10

Apparently, even god contradicts himself.  But god is perfect; therefore all that he does is perfect, which is precisely why this is a perfect contradiction.

I will bring the heart of children to their fathers.  I will also put children against their fathers.

Seriously, how can anyone claim that this is a book from whence good family values come?

How can anyone even take this book seriously?

• Like 3

Is the Matthew passage drawing on some prophecy that itself takes an opposite tack to the Malachi passage you quoted?

The sermons I heard about this topic basically boiled into this.  "If your loved one (spouse or significant other) doesn't follow jesus (our SDA version of his teachings, including EGW and the saturday sabbath deal) then perhaps it would be better if you two split up."  Seriously, I've heard this all too often.  It might be that Michigan's got a lot more conservative 'traditional' adventist families since they claim Battle Creek as adventist-town, but yes.  Leave your spouse.  If you're not married yet, break it off.

"If your loved one (family) doesn't follow jesus then keep at it over and over again to 'soften their hearts for the holy spirit to come in.'"  

I have to add that it's a double standard as well.  If they come into my home, they will continue to insert SDA/EGW/yeshitwa teachings here and there.  But if I visit their home and start talking about atheism it's violating the sanctity of their home.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Is the Matthew passage drawing on some prophecy that itself takes an opposite tack to the Malachi passage you quoted?

Possibly, ficino.  I was taught that the passage from Malachi was a prophecy of the coming messiah, which is why it being the last verse of the Old Testament bore such significance.

I just asked because sometimes one prophet seems to disagree with an earlier one. "Higher critics" have no problem pointing out such passages. I'm not up on them off the top of my head, though.

The sermons I heard about this topic basically boiled into this.  "If your loved one (spouse or significant other) doesn't follow jesus (our SDA version of his teachings, including EGW and the saturday sabbath deal) then perhaps it would be better if you two split up."  Seriously, I've heard this all too often.  It might be that Michigan's got a lot more conservative 'traditional' adventist families since they claim Battle Creek as adventist-town, but yes.  Leave your spouse.  If you're not married yet, break it off.

"If your loved one (family) doesn't follow jesus then keep at it over and over again to 'soften their hearts for the holy spirit to come in.'"  

I have to add that it's a double standard as well.  If they come into my home, they will continue to insert SDA/EGW/yeshitwa teachings here and there.  But if I visit their home and start talking about atheism it's violating the sanctity of their home.

Nope.. I've heard this too. They also push a lot for staying single if you don't have the proper mate. remarriage of course, is not an option in the SDA.

It seems the passage in Matthew is about Jesus emphasizing the controversy and fallout over acceptance or rejection of him as messiah. The preceding verses (vv. 32 - 33) are about confessing him as messiah. A similar passage is in Luke 12:8. But it does seem that sometimes Jesus and Yahweh were not on the same page (figuratively).

Matthew 10

32"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33"But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

I agree Human.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" ~George Orwell.

This quote accompanies every post you make, Ironhorse.

There's ample evidence (that dirty word again!) that you have no testable means of knowing if you hold to the truth or not.  

You simply believe that you do.

• Super Moderator

It seems the passage in Matthew is about Jesus emphasizing the controversy and fallout over acceptance or rejection of him as messiah. The preceding verses (vv. 32 - 33) are about confessing him as messiah. A similar passage is in Luke 12:8. But it does seem that sometimes Jesus and Yahweh were not on the same page (figuratively).

Matthew 10

32"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33"But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

I agree Human.

Human stated that:

But it does seem that sometimes Jesus and Yahweh were not on the same page (figuratively).

To which Ironhorse responded:

I agree Human.

Do you, Ironhorse, believe that jesus and the father are one? 

A simple "yes" or "no" will suffice. DO NOT dodge this question or attempt to back-peddle your way out of it.  Lurkers are watching.