Goodbye Jesus

Dallas Researchers Out To Scientifically Prove Biblical Version Of Creation

Brother Jeff

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20140814-dallas-researchers-out-to-prove-creation-with-science.ece

My commentary on Facebook, which I'm sure will piss my Christian friends off...

Give me a fucking break... you can't prove a bunch of ancient, contradictory mythology with absolutely NO basis in REALITY... and money is actually going to be spent on this absurd bullshit? Hopefully not taxpayer money...

The earth is not flat, and it is not covered by a solid dome with the stars stuck in it. The earth does not rest on pillars. The moon does not give its own light. Adam and Eve are obviously mythical people, the Garden of Eden is an obviously mythical place, there's no such thing as a talking snake or magic trees or magic fruit. The Bible clearly teaches all of this ridiculous bullshit! Again, give me a fucking break... Sometimes I weep for America and how much it suffers because of religion and so many people believing so much absurd, ancient, mythological bullshit...

• Like 1

Calm down Brother Jeff!

Keep in mind that some of that money will go toward speech lessons for a snake!

So it won't be a TOTAL loss...

• Like 2

Because Texas, that’s why!

Because Texas, that’s why!

I used to know a Texan that almost burned his house down cuz he tried to cook frozen chickens in a turkey deep fryer right in the middle of his kitchen.

So this bible/creationism thing comes as no surprise to me.

And "prove" it they shall. It's not like they will (or could) do any research. They'll simply declare success, and the fundies will lap it up.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20140814-dallas-researchers-out-to-prove-creation-with-science.ece

My commentary on Facebook, which I'm sure will piss my Christian friends off...

Give me a fucking break... you can't prove a bunch of ancient, contradictory mythology with absolutely NO basis in REALITY... and money is actually going to be spent on this absurd bullshit? Hopefully not taxpayer money...

The earth is not flat, and it is not covered by a solid dome with the stars stuck in it. The earth does not rest on pillars. The moon does not give its own light. Adam and Eve are obviously mythical people, the Garden of Eden is an obviously mythical place, there's no such thing as a talking snake or magic trees or magic fruit. The Bible clearly teaches all of this ridiculous bullshit! Again, give me a fucking break... Sometimes I weep for America and how much it suffers because of religion and so many people believing so much absurd, ancient, mythological bullshit...

I'd like to like your comment on Facebook.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I'm just glad it's not Florida.

I'm just glad it's not Florida.

laugh.png 

Maybe they'd like to square the info on this site with a 6,000 year-old Earth?

http://www.passc.net/EarthImpactDatabase/index.html

Please click on the, 'Earth Impact Database Sorted by Diameter' option.

If you scroll down to the list you'll see that the second-largest impact crater is called, Chicxulub.  This is the one reckoned to have finished off the dinosaurs, approximately 65 million years ago.  It's only exceeded in size by the Vredefort crater in South Africa (over 2 billion years old) and only just edges out the Sudbury crater in Canada (1.85 billion years old).

Now, we have good evidence that the Chicxulub event was so destructive that it's rain of molten debris ignited almost every tree, shrub, bush and blade of grass on the planet.  So much sulfur dioxide was released by this world-wide inferno that it would have rained mildly-concentrated sulfuric acid for weeks, if not months.  The oceans would have been massively polluted, the weather patterns thrown into chaos and the trillions of tons of dust thrown into the skies by the impact blast would have caused a global 'twilight', possibly for years.

But the key point is this.

The Earth did recover... even though it took decades for the atmosphere to stabilize, centuries for simple plant life (lichens and mosses) to begin to re-establish itself and millennia for new ecosystems of animal life to try and gain a toehold in the radically-altered, post-impact environment.  All of this took time.  Lots and lots of time.  Not the 6,000 year time-frame that the YEC's use, but much...much longer.  Probably hundreds of thousands, if not millions of years.

So, the YEC's have a BIG problem.

They want to use science to confirm what scripture says, but they only got a very short period of time in which to cram all of these cataclysmic events.  Not 6,000 years.  Nope.  They've got to get the planet Earth from it's hellish, burned and poisoned state, back into it's normal and stable condition within the time-frame of the Book of Genesis. 

But wait!

Wendystop.gif

What about the Vredefort and Sudbury impacts? 

Won't they have had a similar, globally-destructive effect to the Chicxulub event?   Uh...Yes, they will have.  And there's sixteen (16) other impact events that made craters over 40k in diameter.  Any one of these would have devastated entire continents.  Ok, according to mainstream geological science these impactors hit the Earth over billions of years, giving our planet plenty of time to recover from each strike.  But the YEC's don't have that length of recovery-time to play with.  If they're going to play ball with the scientific evidence of this impact database, then they have to fit ALL of the destruction wrought by all of these asteroid and comets into the Genesis time-frame.  They don't have billions of years to play with - they've got thousands, at best.

There's probably enough combined explosive energy in ALL of these listed impacts to render every inch of the Earth's surface red hot.  That's what you'll get if you try and squeeze the slow trickle of occasional impacts over billions of years into a deluge of destruction lasting just a few millennia.

'nuff said?

Thanks,

BAA

• Like 1

If you scroll down to the list you'll see that the second-largest impact crater is called, Chicxulub.  This is the one reckoned to have finished off the dinosaurs, approximately 65 million years ago.  It's only exceeded in size by the Vredefort crater in South Africa (over 2 billion years old) and only just edges out the Sudbury crater in Canada (1.85 billion years old).

Now, we have good evidence that the Chicxulub event was so destructive that it's rain of molten debris ignited almost every tree, shrub, bush and blade of grass on the planet.  So much sulfur dioxide was released by this world-wide inferno that it would have rained mildly-concentrated sulfuric acid for weeks, if not months.  The oceans would have been massively polluted, the weather patterns thrown into chaos and the trillions of tons of dust thrown into the skies by the impact blast would have caused a global 'twilight', possibly for years.

The Earth did recover... even though it took decades for the atmosphere to stabilize, centuries for simple plant life (lichens and mosses) to begin to re-establish itself and millennia for new ecosystems of animal life to try and gain a toehold in the radically-altered, post-impact environment.  All of this took time.  Lots and lots of time.  Not the 6,000 year time-frame that the YEC's use, but much...much longer.  Probably hundreds of thousands, if not millions of years.

They want to use science to confirm what scripture says, but they only got a very short period of time in which to cram all of these cataclysmic events.  Not 6,000 years.  Nope.  They've got to get the planet Earth from it's hellish, burned and poisoned state, back into it's normal and stable condition within the time-frame of the Book of Genesis. 

But wait!

Wendystop.gif

Won't they have had a similar, globally-destructive effect to the Chicxulub event?   Uh...Yes, they will have.  And there's sixteen (16) other impact events that made craters over 40k in diameter.  Any one of these would have devastated entire continents.  Ok, according to mainstream geological science these impactors hit the Earth over billions of years, giving our planet plenty of time to recover from each strike.  But the YEC's don't have that length of recovery-time to play with.  If they're going to play ball with the scientific evidence of this impact database, then they have to fit ALL of the destruction wrought by all of these asteroid and comets into the Genesis time-frame.  They don't have billions of years to play with - they've got thousands, at best.

There's probably enough combined explosive energy in ALL of these listed impacts to render every inch of the Earth's surface red hot.  That's what you'll get if you try and squeeze the slow trickle of occasional impacts over billions of years into a deluge of destruction lasting just a few millennia.

'nuff said?

Thanks,

BAA

Nope. God just created the earth and the universe with the "appearance of age." Just like he didn't create Adam and Eve as infants, he created them as adults.

Silly atheist.

Calm down Brother Jeff!

Keep in mind that some of that money will go toward speech lessons for a snake!

So it won't be a TOTAL loss...

Voldemort speaks parseltongue and communicates with snakes, so obviously these researchers are Death Eaters. 

But wait!

Wendystop.gif

'nuff said?

Thanks,

BAA

Even one of those impacts would have left the earth molten hot for many decades. It would have been a wasteland for 1000's of years after as wel. It would have taken 100's of thousands for life to sprout up again in any real measure.

I have several people I work with I overheard the other day talking about this. The general statement they all made was that people who thought the world was that old or believed in geology were morons. I didn't have the energy to go shit all over them and their seriously primative views. Still it made me want to vomit.

T2M,

This silly atheist forgot to mention that God also 'embedded' the following events into the Biblical record of history. wink.png

At least one (and possibly three) episodes of global glaciation.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowball_Earth

Umpteen volcanic events that make Mount St. Helens look like a damp firecracker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_volcanic_eruptions

Five major and twelve minor extinction events. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_extinction

Sorry 'bout that.  (Not!)

BAA

• Like 2

This is from the article linked in Brother Jeff's OP. Note that the creation science guys try to play a version of the old "you're putting your faith in science" game.

"Scientists at ICR believe the Bible is the authoritative word of God, and are unapologetic about reviewing data with a Christian worldview.

All scientists have a philosophy that guides their interpretation of the evidence,” said Lisle. “Most secular scientists are not even aware what their philosophy is — they tend to inherit it like the measles, from whatever their professors taught them. But we find that when we interpret the data through biblical lenses, it fits very well and makes sense.”

That lens is what irritates many secular scientists, who say the unflinching spiritual faith skews scientific objectivity, a touchstone of the field. It’s no surprise, they say, that ICR’s researchers find exactly what they’re looking for.

“The problem is, they’re not scientists,” said Ron Wetherington, who teaches human evolution and forensic anthropology at SMU. “They cherry-pick data in order to use it to justify the Genesis account of creation.”

Real science, he said, works the opposite way. Researchers don’t line up facts to support a hypothesis. Natural laws and theories like evolution are constantly pressure-tested by the scientific community, checking for flaws and leaks in the logic."