Goodbye Jesus

Handling People Who Worry About You?

directionless

Some of my Christian friends still email me scripture and tell me they're praying for me. I reply now with "thank you." Simple, concise and then I move on with the day. I used to get annoyed etc...but we can't change these people, only how we react to them.

As a Christian, I prayed for my atheist friends to see the "light," so I get it.

They're coming from a good place, albeit misguided.

I wouldn't attend another church to suit these ppl or anyone. They have to accept you for you and if they can't or won't...that is on them.

Just my $.02 ...

You say "good" place I say arrogance and selfisheness. they may not realize it but it really isn't hard to see they think they are better than you because of some primative belief in something they cannot prove in anyway. their faith basically says you are less than them and need to be "saved" by christ through them... I say they are just as full of shit as their religion.

This is my biggest struggle in my non-belief and it angers me.

I am too close to my parents to lie, and I shouldn't have to. It is a dilemma but I think I am going to have to be honest and let them worry. I have opted to 'let them down slowly,' not using the dreaded A Word but letting them put two and two together.

I don't mind being prayed for or even attending a service with them every once in a blue moon, especially if that is helpful for them.

• Like 1

This is my biggest struggle in my non-belief and it angers me.

I am too close to my parents to lie, and I shouldn't have to. It is a dilemma but I think I am going to have to be honest and let them worry. I have opted to 'let them down slowly,' not using the dreaded A Word but letting them put two and two together.

I don't mind being prayed for or even attending a service with them every once in a blue moon, especially if that is helpful for them.

I guess you know what's best in your situation. I'm planning to buy some Christian coffee mugs to maintain my cover. smile.png

Orbit, on 18 Aug 2014 - 7:46 PM, said:snapback.png

I just tell my mom that I think church is boring, which is true. I spare her the atheism because she is too old and too religious to handle it. Let her die in peace, thinking I'm just a Presbyterian who's bored with church. Your mileage may vary.

"That's my strategy too. I think I need to find ways of appearing more Christian, so she isn't concerned enough to bring up the uncomfortable questions about my faith." directionless

I agree with the above. I think being truthful can be used as a destructive weapon by some people, thinking themselves wise. "He asked me , so I told him the truth. If he didn't want to know the truth he shouldn't have asked me." That kind of attitude.  But I think the truth should be used wisely, so as to do the least harm and the most good. bill

• rep_up.png
  •  
  •  

I agree with the above. I think being truthful can be used as a destructive weapon by some people, thinking themselves wise. "He asked me , so I told him the truth. If he didn't want to know the truth he shouldn't have asked me." That kind of attitude.  But I think the truth should be used wisely, so as to do the least harm and the most good. bill

I agree with that. smile.png

... I think being truthful can be used as a destructive weapon by some people, thinking themselves wise. "He asked me , so I told him the truth. If he didn't want to know the truth he shouldn't have asked me." That kind of attitude.  But I think the truth should be used wisely, so as to do the least harm and the most good. bill

That's why I've told only my immediate family and some geographically distant friends (who are not Christians). Locally, when I'm talking with relatives or friends, I just keep within the context of the conversation. If they ask me, I'll give a tactful reply. I'm not going to reveal to someone that I'm an unbeliever unless I think there's a clear benefit in doing so. It does me no good to shock someone who thinks of me as a Christian, unless I'm being disadvantaged somehow by not telling them.

I thought it was interesting that you have been honest with immediate family, but not open with others. That's different from my approach. Did you feel that they would figure out anyway so you might was well be honest?

• Super Moderator

Just hide when the boss heads off to church and claim alien abduction.

Just hide when the boss heads off to church and claim alien abduction.

What if the boss is a Raelian? smile.png