Goodbye Jesus

Chia Seeds For Bipolar Depression

Brother Jeff

Posted this to my status, but thought it would make an important topic as well...

I can't say enough good about chia seeds! They are loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids and other great things, and I credit them with basically eradicating my problems with bipolar depression. I add them to my Shakeology smoothies every morning, and rarely skip a day. I was depressed for three days while I was on vacation in Texas in 2013, and I was out of chia seeds and eating a lot of crap that I shouldn't have been. But I was on vacation, and I was indulging a lot!  But other than that, I have had zero problems with depression for a very long time now. I feel great and function normally almost all of the time. 

Related threads:

Sister FreethinkerNZ's recent topic to support people suffering through mental health issues:

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/64199-positive-thread-to-support-ex-cs-with-depression-struggles-at-the-moment/#.U_JeVPldV8E

My topic that I posted a little over three years ago when I was going through a severe bipolar depression. All are welcome to read it:

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/45970-suicide/

Sister Blackpudd1n's topic on atheism and bipolarity from 2012. Don't think she's around here anymore, but she is loved. She helped me a lot a while back:

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/50044-atheism-and-bipolarity/?hl=bipolarity#.U_Jf7PldV8E

My thoughts on suicide. Posted recently.

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/64219-my-thoughts-on-suicide/

My thoughts on Robin William's death. I share a lot of my own life experiences with bipolar disorder and depression. This is a Facebook link, but it's a public forum so it should be accessible:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/625750587443011/permalink/837716349579766/

There is so much more available if you just do a search for "bipolar disorder" or something similar from the main page of this glorious site. Hope this is all helpful. Mental illness, depression, suicide -- all very tough subjects, but so important to discuss!

Glory!

• Like 1

I bought some chia seeds. I soaked them in water and drank them plain. There is nothing bad about their flavor. Even if they don't fix my depression, they apparently are very nutritious. smile.png

• Like 1

I'm not sure if they help my mental health, but they are tasty as a chocolate pudding!

I mix a few teaspoons of chia with some milk - almond and coconut milks are great. I add some cocoa powder, agave or honey and a dash if cinnamon.

They're good in yougurt too!

I have "regular" unipolar depression (why do so many ex-Cs have depression?), and to be honest no non-pharmaceutical supplement has ever helped. Maybe it's just too severe to react to food & supplements. I hope that the chia can help someone, though...

I have "regular" unipolar depression (why do so many ex-Cs have depression?), and to be honest no non-pharmaceutical supplement has ever helped. Maybe it's just too severe to react to food & supplements. I hope that the chia can help someone, though...

I too have unipolar depression, and I think there is a clear link between childhood religious indoctrination and the development of depression in adulthood.  I agree with you that for many people  pharmaceutical drugs are needed.  What I found was that after optimising those, I still benefited from omega 3 in the form of fish oil, and also a particularly healthy diet.  And exercise, and a bunch of other things.  In short, I found that drugs were necessary but not sufficient.

• Like 1

I too have unipolar depression, and I think there is a clear link between childhood religious indoctrination and the development of depression in adulthood.  I agree with you that for many people  pharmaceutical drugs are needed.  What I found was that after optimising those, I still benefited from omega 3 in the form of fish oil, and also a particularly healthy diet.  And exercise, and a bunch of other things.  In short, I found that drugs were necessary but not sufficient.

I definitely agree that childhood indoctrination into Christian religion leads to depression in adulthood. I tried the omega 3 in fish oil. I didn't notice any marked improvement, but then again, I always thought my depression was part of my personality, until I went through deconversion. I might look into the chia seeds.

I don't think it always leads to depression... everyone is different... some kids are more resilient than others... some indoctrination is mild, some is downright traumatic... YMMV.  I think in a lot of cases there is a link between the two, but I haven't seen any studies.  Perhaps some are needed?

I definitely agree that childhood indoctrination into Christian religion leads to depression in adulthood. I tried the omega 3 in fish oil. I didn't notice any marked improvement, but then again, I always thought my depression was part of my personality, until I went through deconversion. I might look into the chia seeds.

I don't think it always leads to depression... everyone is different... some kids are more resilient than others... some indoctrination is mild, some is downright traumatic... YMMV.  I think in a lot of cases there is a link between the two, but I haven't seen any studies.  Perhaps some are needed?

It would be a difficult study to conduct. Most Christians will deny suffering from depression (or anxiety, guilt, fear, doubt, or any other emotion or mental state that's considered a negative reflection on faith or God). A study could be done on people who are former Christians. I do think my childhood indoctrination led to my depression. And I agree it probably correlates to the severity of the exposure, and personal experiences, among other things.

I know quite a few xians who admit that they have depression.  But that could be because fundies are truly a minority in NZ.

It would be a difficult study to conduct. Most Christians will deny suffering from depression (or anxiety, guilt, fear, doubt, or any other emotion or mental state that's considered a negative reflection on faith or God). A study could be done on people who are former Christians. I do think my childhood indoctrination led to my depression. And I agree it probably correlates to the severity of the exposure, and personal experiences, among other things.

One could say, however, that ex c's are depressed because they left religion, not because of childhood indoctrination.  Not that I would agree with that, but it is a tricky subject to study...

I don't know what I suffer from, I just know I have depression too.  My symptoms are most often irritability and anger, and a general feeling that life is not worth the hassle.  I don't know if it is bipolar or unipolar, as I have never been diagnosed with anything.  I do have "upswings" where I wouldn't say I am manic, but I do get creative and write music at an unprecedented pace.  I once wrote half an album in about 4 weeks, and my usual pace is about 1 song per year (not including stuff I have to write for work.  I don't consider that stuff "music")

I have found healthy eating and exercise helps enormously.  Not excessive amounts, but enough to level out my mood swings and keep me at an even keel...