Goodbye Jesus

Pseudoscience Is Not Science: A Basic Primer

seven77

I'd say the last difference given in the table above is misleading: lots of really good science has to rely on inaccurate measurements. This is one reason why various statistical methods have been developed, and also the reason why scientists often are somewhat likely to put limits as to the precision of their claims.

http://www.aptheory.info/

This 'scientist' has disproved gravity.

According to Pettolino, outer space is filled with gas and it's this gas (not gravity), pressing down on our atmosphere, that keeps our air from flying off into space. 

eek.gif

I added more links this morning.

Perhaps this will become an ongoing project. ph34r.png

• Like 1

This is a great idea. Thanks for all the links. I'll have to check out some of the videos.

Perhaps this thread should be pinned.

Anytime anybody says they have "proved" something outside of the mathematical concept of proof, it's generally somebody who doesn't understand science.

A good review of what it means to have evidence support a hypothesis and the concept of falsifiability:

I'd say the last difference given in the table above is misleading: lots of really good science has to rely on inaccurate measurements. This is one reason why various statistical methods have been developed, and also the reason why scientists often are somewhat likely to put limits as to the precision of their claims.

I'll be a stats wonk for a second here. Statistical ranges are precise---as ranges, and mapped to a certain level of error (alpha-level). I would say that this is precise, as precise was we can get given the problems where stats are used. The error is also measured precisely (alpha = .05 for example, or as a range + or - 3, for example.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing all these videos, 7 =) It's very helpful!

Phrenology! Phrenology! It's my favourite pseudoscience, and a real classic. The idea was that you could tell a person's personality and talents from the nubbly bumps on their head... Turns out that this is not actually the case. (Shocking, I know.) They had a systematic framework, though, and they were determined to squee-eeeze reality into it, no matter what the actual results of tests were. Pseudoscience is inherently dishonest, for this reason: instead of using a system to figure out what reality is, it uses a system, and tries to make reality conform to it. It's perverse. Pseudoscience, because it doesn't care what reality actually is, or about making honest tests, isn't about building knowledge. It ends up obscuring knowledge. It's beliefs dressed up in the trappings of science to borrow the authority.

Ironically, when this happens, when a belief system has to masquerade as reason or science, it might as well be a concession that the belief is false - it's not strong enough to stand on its own, and it concedes that logic is the way to knowledge, rather than belief or revelation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I added two new links to my big list above. Yay. I hope to build a giant resource for future ex-c's. :D

Thanks 7, you rock.

http://www.aptheory.info/

This 'scientist' has disproved gravity.

According to Pettolino, outer space is filled with gas and it's this gas (not gravity), pressing down on our atmosphere, that keeps our air from flying off into space. 

eek.gif

Didn't read the webpage. Got one look at the title header and closed it.

LOL gas...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Phrenology! Phrenology! It's my favourite pseudoscience, and a real classic. The idea was that you could tell a person's personality and talents from the nubbly bumps on their head... Turns out that this is not actually the case. (Shocking, I know.) They had a systematic framework, though, and they were determined to squee-eeeze reality into it, no matter what the actual results of tests were. Pseudoscience is inherently dishonest, for this reason: instead of using a system to figure out what reality is, it uses a system, and tries to make reality conform to it. It's perverse. Pseudoscience, because it doesn't care what reality actually is, or about making honest tests, isn't about building knowledge. It ends up obscuring knowledge. It's beliefs dressed up in the trappings of science to borrow the authority.

Ironically, when this happens, when a belief system has to masquerade as reason or science, it might as well be a concession that the belief is false - it's not strong enough to stand on its own, and it concedes that logic is the way to knowledge, rather than belief or revelation.

Very true! Of course, the same can be said about religious evidentialism. In science, the way knowledge is advanced is that we first make an observation. Then we measure and describe what properties we can. Next, we ask questions about the phenomenon. Then we formulate hypotheses as potential answers to those questions. We objectively test those hypotheses. If the results are consistent with the hypothesis, then we continue testing it. Pseudoscience and religious evidentialism goes about obtaining knowledge backwards. It starts with a conclusion. Then formulates hypotheses to support the conclusion. Then, it looks for "evidence" to support the conclusion and hypothesis simultaneously which it already assumes true. The end result is confirmation bias with a bit of circular reasoning thrown in there. No actual observation of the proposed phenomenon is ever made.
  • Like 1

Typically, on this thread we have pseudoscience masquerading as science and the culprit is the characters who are railing against such things.

The Big Bang is an unproven idea which does not remotely make sense. Worse, it can easily be proved wrong. I have explained why to such people and there is a deafening silence from them. They look at the text books and they are of no help and most being unable to think for themselves but just parroting what others have told them just pretend that it's all OK. Not one can back up what they claim to be true, just quoting dogma like a cornered creationist.

I have given some explanation on "The Big Picture thread" on this forum.

There is a documentary which can be downloaded and watched: "Is Everything We Know About The Universe Wrong?" I think it was made by the BBC's Horizon. It agrees with what I said and among other things shows teachers teaching what they admit they know to be wrong about expansion, etc.

Typically, on this thread we have pseudoscience masquerading as science and the culprit is the characters who are railing against such things.

The Big Bang is an unproven idea which does not remotely make sense. Worse, it can easily be proved wrong. I have explained why to such people and there is a deafening silence from them. They look at the text books and they are of no help and most being unable to think for themselves but just parroting what others have told them just pretend that it's all OK. Not one can back up what they claim to be true, just quoting dogma like a cornered creationist.

There is a documentary which can be downloaded and watched: "Is Everything We Know About The Universe Wrong?" I think it was made by the BBC's Horizon. It agrees with what I said and among other things shows teachers teaching what they admit they know to be wrong about expansion, etc.

Hello Blake.  I think you are propagating a good deal of misinformation about modern astrophysics and cosmology, and I hope you'll discuss your views with me.

The Big Bang is "provable" in the sense that such a concept exists in science.  Like many scientific theories it is a work in progress, and will likely be subject to second-order revisions in the near future.  However the basic idea is pretty much unassailable: the universe began some 13.7 billion years ago, after which space-time expanded.  Are you issues with the Big Bang in regards to topics such as baryogenesis/leptogenesis, dark energy, or the many-worlds hypothesis?  Or are you in conflict with the very framework of the theory as I have outlined it?  While there is plenty of room for debate and speculation in cosmology, some facts have been verified with great scrupulosity.  A good many underpaid graduate students and postdocs have spent years - sometimes decades - making painstaking observations and conducting rigorous, independent data analyses to come to the same conclusion.  When you blithely dismiss the Big Bang theory as "an unproven idea which does not remotely make sense," please note that you are dismissing lifetimes of careful research.  Not that this freedom of thought should be forbidden in science, but bold assertions require strong grounding.  What research have you done which justifies your position?

If you'd like, please demonstrate to me that the Big Bang theory is easily disproven.  As time allows, I will not respond with mere silence.  All I would ask is that your posts contain more of your own original writing than quotes from other websites, and that we not ask each other to watch lengthy videos (as this leaves more time for us to discuss with one another).  Thanks, and I look forward to your response.

• Like 8

...yeah, that's what I thought. The silence, as you say, is deafening.

We all have jobs and stuff to do. But after six days I'm going to go ahead and assume that you aren't interested in a discussion about the veracity of the Big Bang model.

Sexton Blake sez...

tumblr_mzp4uw8vKO1qcga5ro1_500.gif

• 2 weeks later...

...yeah, that's what I thought. The silence, as you say, is deafening.

We all have jobs and stuff to do. But after six days I'm going to go ahead and assume that you aren't interested in a discussion about the veracity of the Big Bang model.

Don't count him out, entirely, just yet. It's still a possibility that he hasn't checked the site yet. Only because his account shows last active as October 31st. There's still a chance.

I am getting a deafening silence from him. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

It's December 5 and still no response? Multiple people willing to engage and the silence is deafening.

Oh well. This thread wasn't intended for pomposity over scientific matters anyway. It is meant to be a resource collection for those who need a refresher or perhaps a crash course on various sciences. Somehow that skipped over Sexton Blake's head.

• Like 1

"Bill Nye: The Science Guy -- Probability
Key Points:

• Statistics (and other forms of mathematics) can be used to determine risks, make predictions and analyze events.
  • There is no such thing as luck.
  • Some events are highly unlikely. These events may be called impossible (miracles), but they aren't actually anything other than highly unlikely or highly improbable events."

Dang it! I wanted to know how risks can be determined, yet there is no such thing as luck.  It seems that the video is unavailable.

Original link has been taken down, it seems. Will post new one when I have access to a real computer.