Goodbye Jesus

Atheism Is Responsible For All Bad Things In Human History

So I found this re-posted on my FB feed from a friend who sourced http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/the-world-s-joy-tragedy as follows:

In his classic book Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis delivers a profound insight into the psychological engine that pulls along the drama of history. “All that we call human history — money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery — is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.” 

Yes. Or to say this even more foundationally: the driving motive in history is the desire for happiness. Think of it, everything from slavery to prostitution to racism to terrorism to extortion to abortion to the ignition of world wars — it’s all driven by a desire for happiness apart from God.

Here Lewis jabs a steel dental probe into the raw unmedicated nerve of atheism. The serious problem with atheism is not intellectual atheism, denying God’s existence. The real problem is affectional atheism, finding God to be an obstruction in the path of personal joy. This practical atheism is the fundamental root problem of humanity and it plagues the hearts of atheists, agnostics, and even professing deists alike.

Atheists to the Core

Such a cancer in the heart can only bring massive social consequences. By turning away from God, our pursuit of godless joy must come at the expense of others (Psalm 14:1–4). The problem is not that there are atheists in the world; the problem is that we all universally identify with this atheism at the core of our motives. Every one of us is born with a twisted desire for happiness, and that desire must come at the cost of others.

So what happens when we seek joy and must use someone to get it? You must oppress. You must step on toes. You must wound and offend. And you come face-to-face and eye-to-eye with other such atheists seeking personal happiness at your expense. You get used. Paradoxically, these desires attract us to one another, making the impact even harder, like an inevitable head-on collision between freight trains.

The single man who idolizes sex is motivated to date to that end. The single woman who idolizes the attention of men to fund her sense of self-worth is also motivated to date. When they meet, they will use each other for their own selfish ends. It will cost a man his flattery, it will cost the woman her body, but in the moment both seem to be a small price to feed their own personal idols. So far everything seems peaceful.

But this idol-feeding cannot be sustained. Eventually the man’s eyes are drawn to other bodies of other women and un-drawn to the woman he sits across from the table right now. The flattery will eventually be exposed to be a sham, and the woman’s body will be shown to have been merely an object of a man’s lust. If you look deeper than the surface, you find in this relationship two isolated sinners, atheists whose affections are disconnected from God, and who are using one another to fill in the gap. It will end in war.

So lets recap:  Atheism is the fundamental root problem of humanity. (Lets tell that to the religious terrorists of the world.)  A desire for happiness is twisted - and all bad things come from this desire. (Then tell me, dear Christians, where do all GOOD things come from - that were sought apart from God:  vaccines, antibiotics, coffee, and chocolate to name a few!) Happiness must come at the cost of others.  Atheists seek personal happiness at the expense of others.  And there are"intellectual" vs "practical" vs. "affectional" atheists.  Oh yes and lets not forget that everything all comes back to how single men and women who enjoy sex should immediately afterwards feel guilty, selfish and used. There were so many ways I wanted to respond.  Instead, I just politely took issue with CS Lewis' analysis of  atheism and sit here with a bitten tongue.

The basis for the argument is here :" The serious problem with atheism is not intellectual atheism, denying God’s existence. The real problem is affectional atheism, finding God to be an obstruction in the path of personal joy. This practical atheism is the fundamental root problem of humanity and it plagues the hearts of atheists, agnostics, and even professing deists alike."

It contains an unproven assumption, that atheism blocks joy. It doesn't. The whole argument built on this now falls down.

Fundamentalist bolierplate. They have a whole drawer full of sermons about the evils that befall man when he "turns away from God," i.e. ceases to mindlessly give authority to pastors, preachers, priests, popes, and witch doctors. 

Yup standard morontheist bullshit babble that sounds good to the choir to which they so like to preach but falls into a scale ranging from nonsensical to utter bullshit for anyone who approaches the topic rationally.

And as I somehow just remembered a friend of mine having used these words some time ago and still have go giggle about it today...

...such claims are nice for morontheists sweet-talking to one another but if they try to convert an unbeliever that way... on an idiocy scale from 1 to 10 the idea shoots far off scale and lands close to "invade Russia in Winter". :lmao:

• Like 3

on an idiocy scale from 1 to 10 the idea shoots far off scale and lands close to "invade Russia in Winter". lmao_99.gif

yelrotflmao.gif 

The bottom line here is that I've met plenty of happy atheists - some of whom, in terms of their concern for others and selflessness, might be seen as better Christians than I ever was.

It's tripe.

And conversely, we should see most everyone in the churches living happy fulfilled lives free of sin and living victorious overcoming lives full of relationship with the Holy Spirit... Riiiight. Remember what it was really like? The promises that failed consistently, the blaming of self for these failings, seeing normal desires as bad influences from the devil, looking around at the worshipers and thinking "they are really be experiencing it, so it must be true" and so we'd plod on until we got the next thrill when we'd ignore the failed promises and gladly make excuses for god having "a better plan" for us and "though he slay me yet will I trust him". It's a constantly re-enforced mindfuck.

• Like 1

I am going to address your thoughts, Faithfulless, because I refuse to give any time nor mental effort towards the likes of Crap Shit Boo-hiss and John Piper of Desiring God.

So lets recap:  Atheism is the fundamental root problem of humanity. (Lets tell that to the religious terrorists of the world.)

Atheism is not the fundamental root problem of humanity. Lack of conviction in the supernatural is not a bad thing; it is actually quite the opposite. Turning away from the invisible and investigating the material leads to real fucking change of the positive sort. No longer is the world controlled by priest-wank and the humbling fear found in illiteracy and abject poverty. We are slowly rising above that pitifully low threshold set thousands of years ago by men who wrote passages in their holy books about how to best bury one's own shit in the desert. Many of the modern world's terrorists are still stuck in this primitive mindset, hence why they continue to repeat the same tribal feuds over and over again...

Then tell me, dear Christians, where do all GOOD things come from - that were sought apart from God:  vaccines, antibiotics, coffee, and chocolate to name a few!

Vaccines are from the Enemy, a direct challenge to the great healing powers of God! Antibiotics are a scourge, killing our immune systems! Coffee is ok. Chocolate is an opiate! -- That's what my old church taught, for what it is worth. People still ate chocolate and drank coffee, but be damned if you took antibiotics or vaccinated your kid. Anything good comes from God and those are usually the subjective sort of things such as: peace, love, joy, good intentions...I could go on for awhile, but let's summarize: Feeling good is what matters. So if you feel good about not vaccinating your kids, that's the LARD working in ya!

After all, science will validate the Bible someday. It is all true, God is real, and nah-nah-boo-boo...Trishrazberry.gif <<< Believers.

Happiness must come at the cost of others.  Atheists seek personal happiness at the expense of others.

Yes, happiness does often come at the cost of others. In order for me to be happy, theism [particularly the virulent strains of Christ-belief] and supernaturalism need to go away. Fine, people can have their personal beliefs in the supernatural and gods. Whatever floats your boat. But they should know that society doesn't accept their beliefs as valid, no special concessions should be made to appease their poor butthurt narrow minds, and that their happiness is no longer a priority.

And Christians should know that their happiness definitely comes at the expense of others, both non-believers and those that believe in other deities. Yet they don't seem to care so much about that pesky little factoid, do they?

And there are"intellectual" vs "practical" vs. "affectional" atheists.

In reality, there is really only one type of atheist: the kind that doesn't believe in sort of higher power.

Being able to "love" a ghost isn't a prerequisite for being a fully developed, rational, functional human being. Believing in mythology and basing one's life around it doesn't make them a better person than someone who doesn't. Believers who write this kind of shit are probably agnostics or even atheists themselves. There's a lot of psychoanalytic projection involved when someone tries to differentiate them from us to this sort of degree, imo. It's almost as if good ol' Clive was having post-conversion doubts. Or maybe he did it just to bolster his career..... Wendyshrug.gif

• Like 1

Don't know any history past 11th Grade American History class.  Check.  Rewrite history to suit your predilections. 

• Like 1

John Piper is a goofball who says things with a straight face that are patently ridiculous.  It shows just how brainwashed Christians are that they do not raise one eyebrow when they read his melodromatic and illogical drech.  For example, he writes:

"You find in this relationship two isolated sinners, atheists whose affections are disconnected from God, and who are using one another to fill in the gap. It will end in war."

War?

Black-Guy-Really-GIF.gif

OT, but dayum, Latrice Royale....

ba648b09975197e440ec085451e23c665d74f62b

Now Jesus Biscuits, I could get behind. If only John Piper and the rest of the Christians were merely talking about a delicious biscuit man instead of a lich....

So I found this re-posted on my FB feed from a friend who sourced http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/the-world-s-joy-tragedy as follows:

In his classic book Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis delivers a profound insight into the psychological engine that pulls along the drama of history. “All that we call human history — money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery — is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.” 

Yes. Or to say this even more foundationally: the driving motive in history is the desire for happiness. Think of it, everything from slavery to prostitution to racism to terrorism to extortion to abortion to the ignition of world wars — it’s all driven by a desire for happiness apart from God.

Here Lewis jabs a steel dental probe into the raw unmedicated nerve of atheism.

Well, war and slavery are two items that were specifically commanded by God in Deut 20.

As for abortion, God's law states that when a woman has been found unfaithful, her womb is cursed, which results in a fetus being destroyed if she is pregnant with the child of another man. (Num 5:11-31).

These undesired, terrible things aren't apart from God at all, they're part of his law and commands.

The "unmedicated" nerve of atheism is probably a better alternative to the fully medicated and zombie like nerves required to be a believer.