Goodbye Jesus

Your A.s.s! (Atheist Support System)

1AcceptingAThiest1

For my Atheist friends in real life who want support and like to be around like minded folk, they have not found local groups in the Community. I found couple sites to help them out

http://atheists.meetup.com/all/

http://www.atheists.org/activism/local-partners-affiliates

Thing is, some of these groups require money to get inolved or become members, This was a problem I also ran into as an atheist i had no one to talk to except people behind a computer screen. No one i could go to the movies with, play video games with, go to concerts, play chess and drink koolaid. Nothing wrong with the online community dont get me wrong, but because of people are strangers they dont go to certain extents that a local person would in terms of sharing deep information or allowing contact by phone or inviting that person to their house. I tried asking people online for ther phone number or going to their house, even though we had something in common as Atheists, still there is natural distrust like you wouldnt invite someone over for the sheer fact you share commonalities, a stranger is a stranger.

But in the Christian community, not a church but local group or even someones house, they openly invite convicts, murderers, cheaters, gays, all kinds of people that were serious, they took the risk, they could get hurt, shot stabbed yet they opened their home to random strangers, and lot of times, it turns out well. A real serial killer or someone who is TRULY dangerous would most likely take a different approach then attending a meeting about Gods love and where he could be easily identified and notified to police. These people regardless of their pass were willing to make a change, they invite even people that them and everything they stand for.

Where are the Atheists groups or Atheist inviting strangers to thier own personal homes, that invite people that hate them? convicts and past murderers? I know Atheists are loving people, as was i before conversion so why would i change? i know Atheist can be healthy loving individuals despite what many christians or other sects or religion think. so this should be an easy task if christians can do it so can you Go ahead start opening your doors to murderers and convicts like christians do. Let the world know there isnt a lack of support, Atheist can also give out turkeys on thanksgiving give mass food to the homeless when its cold, easy stuff, but apparently in both the online and real world community christiantiy seems to be dominating the efforts of reaching out to people, broken familes, children, finances many of these are funded by Christian organizations, why not Atheist ones?

• Super Moderator

http://www.religionnews.com/2013/12/19/season-giving-atheist-groups-charity-rebuffed/

http://www.atheistvolunteers.org/

Atheists are a minority, most are not "organized" and many established organizations reject any help from anyone who identifies as atheist. Still, the non-religious manage to help their communities without having weekly indoctrination sessions and tithing.

christian love

another fuck you AA7

Let in the murders and rapists but ban the atheists:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/10/23/south-carolina-soup-kitchen-director-bans-atheist-volunteers-saying-they-would-be-a-disservice-to-this-community/

Did you even attempt to do even a rudimentary amount of research before starting this thread or are you one of the many Christians out there that are simply not interested in any sort of intellectual honesty.

• Like 1

Rogue did you not see the links i posts thats just 2 out of the 100 i researched, im speaking of local, i dont know where you are at but there is zero support in my area for atheists and its a shame non local takes gas and gas costs money. Friends looking for a place they ride a bike to or even someone FROM the group can pick them up. But Have you opened your own house to people that is an easier way as well

Oh, the in my area argument? So, where you live must be a perfect approximation to the rest of the country? Also, like many other people I don't feel the need to "show off" the charity work that I have done and that I do.

Since you ask, my wife and I took in a family for over a month while they sorted out more permanent living arrangements last year. Again, I don't feel the need to brag about this or post it all over the place, nor do feel the need to rub it in the face of other people who may not have done this. Unlike some Christians, I do not feel the need to spread guilt.

A real serial killer or someone who is TRULY dangerous would most likely take a different approach then attending a meeting about Gods love and where he could be easily identified and notified to police. 

Have you ever heard about the BTK killer and how he was caught?

How about devoted christian John List?  He killed his family because his children were getting into secular things and he wanted to save them from hell.

I could go on and list more, but I have things to do this morning.  

A real serial killer or someone who is TRULY dangerous would most likely take a different approach then attending a meeting about Gods love and where he could be easily identified and notified to police.

Have you ever heard about the BTK killer and how he was caught?

How about devoted christian John List?  He killed his family because his children were getting into secular things and he wanted to save them from hell.

I could go on and list more, but I have things to do this morning.

or just the catholic priests?

This wasnt a game of who is more evil or, who does more good. or a silly twisted game of guilt on a heiarchy of good deeds and bad acts.

Im just simply saying the area im at my Atheist friends cant find local groups, not enough support, im all the support they have they dont like online forums because of the different vibe it gives off

your headline tells the whole story,,,

ASS

just like you,,,, a a big hole that goes with it

• Like 2

• Super Moderator
Atheist friends cant find local groups, not enough support

Atheists need support groups? 

I don't understand. 

this site is a support group of course the need support like any other human being, the online support is stronger than the in real life support

this site is for exC to get away from crazy fuckers like you, not necessary to be athiests,,,, what do u think

• Like 1

But in the Christian community, not a church but local group or even someones house, they openly invite convicts, murderers, cheaters, gays, all kinds of people that were serious, they took the risk, they could get hurt, shot stabbed yet they opened their home to random strangers, and lot of times, it turns out well.

Really, I thought someone would have commented on this by now.

Are you really grouping gay people with convicts, murderers and cheaters?

I don't know about the gay people in your country, but the ones in mine aren't going to shoot or stab you.

• Like 3

Hmph...

Wow.

Simple answer -- atheists aren't as fucking stupid as christians are...

• Like 2

Ummm… sorry, I have absolutely NO problem meeting or hanging out with atheists or other non-christians. It doesn't cost money, I haven't yet met one that was anything but a decent person or someone I wouldn't let into my home. Granted, I don't live in the Bible belt. My experience with christians has not been quite so positive… I've met more backstabbers and gossip-mongers and shady people IN church than I have out of it.

You are an IDIOT if you invite serial killers into your house. I have a child to protect…. if your history is questionable it's going to take a long time for you to EARN my trust. I don't value stupidity or gullibility the way some religious people do. That's what the Darwin Awards are for.

What the hell are you going on about?  Are you trying to say we aren't decent people, with social lives or … umm.. compassion for our fellows? FU… I do tons of service work, volunteering, etc… to make this world a tiny bit better. That's what humanism IS, look it up.

There are (I just counted) 12 atheist/humanist meet-ups/groups within driving distance from my house… and several non-christian groups (neo-pagan/Buddhist/Universalist) and they don't cost money (well, you might want to buy a beer or coffee at a meet-up). I've been to a few.. guess what? NO ONE PASSED A PLATE AROUND FOR DONATIONS (there is usually a box by the door - if one is so inclined - but NO pressure) NEVER is there one for neo-pagan activities, except maybe a charitable donation for the food bank or something similar - one usually brings a snack, more of a potluck concept. The Buddhist temple has a small store where one can buy incense which goes towards the upkeep… again, not required. I have made a donation to hear a speaker from time to time… the last was an Geneticist - fascinating lecture!  Well worth the 4$ they were asking for.  Yup… 4 dollars to hear a top notch lecture, with slides! And coffee! And a great question/answer time after.

I have been welcomed warmly by all and not been pressured to join, not been asked what my personal beliefs are and not been asked for money… OH, and the conversation/company is much more stimulating. The best part is I don't have to CONFORM to attend any of these… I can believe or not believe whatever I do… I am still welcome.

Stop it… you are promoting bullshit again.

*Edited for clarity

• Like 6

I do live in the upper portion of the Bible belt. Even here we have several meetup groups for atheists, agnostics, freethinkers, pagans of various stripes, and philosophy. They may not meet regularly and are quite a drive for me since I live a bit outside of the main suburban area, which is why I personally don't participate in them. However, they do exist and if one has the money, time and willingness and ability to drive, they can commune with like-minded folks.

I don't know what we were supposed to get out of 1AA1's post, really.

That Christian groups and churches are more plentiful and easier to find, so people join them looking for community and friendships? Maybe. That's not breaking news though. I have no interest in communing with people who base their lives around a book of ancient myths and a Jewish lich prince who communicates with them telepathically. Hence why I am not longer involved in my former church and only have a few friends IRL.

That those who reject the Christ myth are horrible people who want to kill you and are a blight on their communities? WTF-ever. Christians are the ones who put themselves at risk by trusting kiddie rapers, violent psychotics, drug fiends, and lying shysters on a regular basis. Visit the news subforum and you won't have to scroll to far to see the collection of proof. It's not just the Catholic church or a few random serial killers. No, Christians routinely let the bad ones in and then they want to act indignant when their beloved youth pastor ass-rapes their teenage son or steals thousands from them. Or maybe they forgive and forget, because Jesus!

No, thank you. I'll take a pass on letting the bad ones in. I've done that before and it didn't turn out well. Besides, I'm not concerned with the forgiveness and the extension of charity towards wayward trolls and criminals. I help those whom I find to be deserving of my help. I value myself and put a barrier between those who whom I know would violate me or mine.

• Like 3

A site like this is a really great place for me to talk and read about politics, vent about religion, read other people's rants and even help recent deconverts, but I have never felt I needed a "support system".  I think the OP is just another example of how the religious mind can not fathom being able to think individually from a mass of other like minded people.  Since we no longer go to a church, we must need some sort of mass gathering to reinforce our lack of belief.  It is exactly like a cigarette smoker thinking you need to start smoking pot if you quit cigarettes.  Life is not possible without smoking something.  

Granted, I did see a few therapists years ago, but it was to help me with my anger towards religion, not because I needed support as an Atheist.  

Marty: If the truth be told every 'born again" Xtian could do with some serious counseling..  bill

• Like 2

The best thing about churches, in my opinion, is that they can be a force of doing good in the community.  On that level, I agree with, and support you.

That said, I don't believe for a minute that (some) Christians are the only ones who open their doors to strangers.  I know, because I have done so when I was not a church-going believer.

For my Atheist friends in real life who want support and like to be around like minded folk, they have not found local groups in the Community. I found couple sites to help them out

http://atheists.meetup.com/all/

http://www.atheists.org/activism/local-partners-affiliates

Hm...actually I prefer to meet all kinds of people and become friends due to like someone instead of the religious "tag" someone wears. For anything else I have this forum and other sources I have found on the www. But thanks for your concern...

Thing is, some of these groups require money to get inolved or become members, This was a problem I also ran into as an atheist i had no one to talk to except people behind a computer screen. No one i could go to the movies with, play video games with, go to concerts, play chess and drink koolaid. Nothing wrong with the online community dont get me wrong, but because of people are strangers they dont go to certain extents that a local person would in terms of sharing deep information or allowing contact by phone or inviting that person to their house. I tried asking people online for ther phone number or going to their house, even though we had something in common as Atheists, still there is natural distrust like you wouldnt invite someone over for the sheer fact you share commonalities, a stranger is a stranger.

Ever heard about meet up groups? Or where I live we have an app called SpontActs. it is all about meeting people for watching movies together, do sports or if you want to...drink coolaid. There is plenty non religious stuff happening where you can find people to be with besides the www. I mean you can even go to a camp or something. When I turned nineteen I went to a summer snowboard camp that was non christian. My only non christian camp I attended and I did so because of my love of snowboarding. And it was the best camp so far I have attended...even in my Christian days I had to admit that. The community in this camp has been the most accepting and fun.

Yes, why do you need someones number to meet? You can just chose a coffee shop and meet there...no big deal. Trust is something to be earned and that is what Christians so often don't understand. Why so much weird stuff is going on, so much abuse is happening. I consider this mistrust a good thing. As long as you don't shut yourself completely from others.

But in the Christian community, not a church but local group or even someones house, they openly invite convicts, murderers, cheaters, gays, all kinds of people that were serious, they took the risk, they could get hurt, shot stabbed yet they opened their home to random strangers, and lot of times, it turns out well. A real serial killer or someone who is TRULY dangerous would most likely take a different approach then attending a meeting about Gods love and where he could be easily identified and notified to police. These people regardless of their pass were willing to make a change, they invite even people that them and everything they stand for.

And a lot of times it does not. I am all for giving people a second shot. But especially christians are quite naive when it comes to who they trust and who they don't. My god mother is a perfect example. She opened her house to junkies...and what happened was that he got estranged from her family (three children in school age and husband), left them for one of those guys and got a child with him...

My parents opened their house to people who where drug ads and criminals etc. and the only thing it did for them was, they used my parents, stole from them, almost burnt down our house while giving themselves shots of heroine...besides that the drug addicted girl died some time ago due to her addiction, the other guy spend time in prison and besides that I have never heard of him again.

There are plenty of great people opening their house to others being loving etc. Actually I just come back from a great trip to the balkans and I have found the most amazing hostel in Zagreb. The guy there really did a great job in making this hostel a home for anyone who happens to be there. And his whole neighborhood was hanging out there. In a loving atmosphere like this much can happen in one's soul. And it is not a christian exclusive. It is humans who are fed up with the capitalist system and have found it to be way more fulfilling to create community instead of running after the money.

Also I question the motives of Christians inviting others to their homes. If it happens for the sole reason of having community and sharing love I am all for it. If it is to bring the "Gospel" to them in whatever way...I detest it. As soon as you do those things because of your faith instead of your human nature and the desire to love others, the desire to be good to others it has a bad aftertaste to me. And I am not talking about evangelizing etc. Just the intention of such a meeting, even when totally unreligious and just being together.

Where are the Atheists groups or Atheist inviting strangers to thier own personal homes, that invite people that hate them? convicts and past murderers? I know Atheists are loving people, as was i before conversion so why would i change? i know Atheist can be healthy loving individuals despite what many christians or other sects or religion think. so this should be an easy task if christians can do it so can you Go ahead start opening your doors to murderers and convicts like christians do. Let the world know there isnt a lack of support, Atheist can also give out turkeys on thanksgiving give mass food to the homeless when its cold, easy stuff, but apparently in both the online and real world community christiantiy seems to be dominating the efforts of reaching out to people, broken familes, children, finances many of these are funded by Christian organizations, why not Atheist ones?

Oh, you still don't understand that atheism is no religion and therefore is not to be institutionalized? Wow.

And you really think Christians are the only ones who do projects that supposed to help? Do some research and you will find plenty of cool projects that make a difference. Actually I am supporting one that is located in Afghanistan and it is the most honest and respect deserving project I have ever found. You should check it out:

https://www.skateistan.org

Those guys do what they do because they fell in love with those kids and discovered how those kids where curious about their skateboards and had fun trying it out. They now have a back to school program and other stuff that gets the children off the streets, unites children of all kinds of ethnic and social backgrounds...

I am sure there are other projects that are doing a great job...and are not religiously motivated. Just get out of the closed and you will find them. Even projects with murderers and whatsoever if that is your preferred group. Actually just recently I watched an interview with a murderer who discovered yoga and through yoga was able to change and now goes to prisons to help other tough guys to find ways to deal with their issues.

And this statement just sounds a bit off to me:

"i know Atheist can be healthy loving individuals despite what many christians or other sects or religion think."

How about atheists are healthy and loving individuals...just because people with different views on religion don't run around with some sort of helper's complex thinking it was their job to save the world does not mean they do not do the things you mention. It is just not forced and therefore what they do is real while what Christians often do is fulfilling a task. And that is when gruesome things happen as well. Like the sexual abuse of children at wycliffe mission camp in Bolivia if you have ever heard of it. Where parents are so dedicated to their task they don't even notice when their own children suffer and act weird. Just think about it. And this is not the only example of such happenings.

• Like 1

I guess A-saussage-A has left the room?

the Xtians around here got spooked by the faith thread and fled

• Like 1

The idea that we actually have social lives freaks them out… I think they like to believe we are isolated islands, all alone, afraid, sad people.

NOTHING could be farther from the truth, at least where I am… and hopefully for the rest of you - though I know it can be tough in the Bible belt. Our numbers are growing exponentially though…  :D

• Like 1