Goodbye Jesus

Beautiful Example Of How Toxic Christianity Can Be

violetbutterfly

But depravity is the FUN part of marriage!

Oh I'm willing to bet this is a HUGE matter of opinion that depends on the level of "depravity".

On several occasions while listening to christian radio, there have been abused women calling in (they were obviously in tears and mentally and emotionally fucked) asking the host what they should do about their marriages.

What answer did they get every single time?

Pray!

What god has joined together, let not man put asunder.

And everyone's favorite -- "As a woman, you must continue to submit to your husband in prayer and in the lord so that by your obedience to the lord, your husband may be redeemed."

These women got off the phone even more damaged than when they called in!

I listen to the same kind of call-in shows!  They are HORRIBLE!  It's like listening to a train wreck.  But yes, it blows my mind every time a man or woman calls in, tearfully, asking the xian-psychologist host(s) if it is "ok with god if I get divorced," and then they have a list of the abuses (verbal, physical, sexual, etc) that they have endured for years, AND that their children have witnessed or endured for years.  The host(s) always say that divorce is NOT ok with god, but if there is abuse the abused spouse is "permitted" to move out and separate for a while but ONLY while working on the marriage and ONLY with the thought of reconciliation in mind because GOD CAN CHANGE ANYBODY.  No, god cannot change somebody that's been physically, verbally, emotionally, sexually, etc abusive going on decades.  They are only encouraging enabling behavior from the abused spouse, or co-dependency, and if there are children involved, those poor kids will grow up thinking this is the NORM for marriage.

"Permitted" from god, my ass!!!!  As an adult, I can make my own decisions without tearfully calling a xian psychologist and asking god's fucking PERMISSION for something.  When I told my first husband I wanted divorced, it was my own choice, not something I needed to ask permission for, and not something I had even spoken with to anybody else.  As an adult, I KNEW what was wrong for me and what was wrong for my kids to live with and witness every day, and I KNEW it was better to end things while it was still possible to remain friends with my ex so that our children could have as normal a childhood as possible, and to know what is and IS NOT acceptable behavior in a marriage, and to model how ADULTS can act in a civil manner when getting divorced and going on with life.  And I expected to be treated respectfully by my spouse, because we are adults that treat other adults respectfully, and if he wasn't respectful in the marriage as a spouse (he wasn't) he is now respectful to me as a friend.  (The divorce wasn't due to abuse or affairs; I won't discuss why, it's private and that's part of respect towards my ex.)  

• Like 2

To me the article was a realistic statement.

The "toxic" message I got was not about the christian faith, but me.

I do wrong things daily (sin) and my wife could write you a long long list.

Marriage for us, at times, has been difficult. We are not perfect beings.

I am justified (made perfect in God's View) by my faith in Christ. It's all grace, not works.

Sanctification is the act or process of acquiring sanctity, of being made or becoming holy.

It is progressive in the life of each believer. Paul refers to this several times in his letters.

The Holy Spirit works within to aid and encourage the believer to do the right thing but the Holy Spirit does not take over and force.

Its progress (or lack of) is different in each believer for many reasons. 

I'm not ashamed.

This is additional evidence that Ironhorse was indoctrinated with a particularly virulent version of the Christian religion and remains so.

But depravity is the FUN part of marriage!

Oh I'm willing to bet this is a HUGE matter of opinion that depends on the level of "depravity".

On several occasions while listening to christian radio, there have been abused women calling in (they were obviously in tears and mentally and emotionally fucked) asking the host what they should do about their marriages.

What answer did they get every single time?

Pray!

What god has joined together, let not man put asunder.

And everyone's favorite -- "As a woman, you must continue to submit to your husband in prayer and in the lord so that by your obedience to the lord, your husband may be redeemed."

These women got off the phone even more damaged than when they called in!

I listen to the same kind of call-in shows!  They are HORRIBLE!  It's like listening to a train wreck.  But yes, it blows my mind every time a man or woman calls in, tearfully, asking the xian-psychologist host(s) if it is "ok with god if I get divorced," and then they have a list of the abuses (verbal, physical, sexual, etc) that they have endured for years, AND that their children have witnessed or endured for years.  The host(s) always say that divorce is NOT ok with god, but if there is abuse the abused spouse is "permitted" to move out and separate for a while but ONLY while working on the marriage and ONLY with the thought of reconciliation in mind because GOD CAN CHANGE ANYBODY.  No, god cannot change somebody that's been physically, verbally, emotionally, sexually, etc abusive going on decades.  They are only encouraging enabling behavior from the abused spouse, or co-dependency, and if there are children involved, those poor kids will grow up thinking this is the NORM for marriage.

"Permitted" from god, my ass!!!!  As an adult, I can make my own decisions without tearfully calling a xian psychologist and asking god's fucking PERMISSION for something.  When I told my first husband I wanted divorced, it was my own choice, not something I needed to ask permission for, and not something I had even spoken with to anybody else.  As an adult, I KNEW what was wrong for me and what was wrong for my kids to live with and witness every day, and I KNEW it was better to end things while it was still possible to remain friends with my ex so that our children could have as normal a childhood as possible, and to know what is and IS NOT acceptable behavior in a marriage, and to model how ADULTS can act in a civil manner when getting divorced and going on with life.  And I expected to be treated respectfully by my spouse, because we are adults that treat other adults respectfully, and if he wasn't respectful in the marriage as a spouse (he wasn't) he is now respectful to me as a friend.  (The divorce wasn't due to abuse or affairs; I won't discuss why, it's private and that's part of respect towards my ex.)  

I agree. I heard one of those call in shows once, and it made my skin crawl. These women being abused reach out to these shows for some kind of help, they're at the end of their ropes, and instead of support and compassion, they get thrown under the bus. I think there was an episode of the 700 Club where Pat Robertson basically fobbed a caller off who was in an unhealthy relationship, and more or less told her to put up and shut up. And people have the NERVE to wonder why those of us who've been in abusive relationships are so scared to come forward and get outside help. It's all because of victim blaming jackassholes like Pat Robertson and that host who told the caller to pray about it and suffer in silence. 

Abusers are proof that there is no god. Hell, the entire xtian subculture reeks of rape culture. I don't see how it can't when the whole system is set up to convince its followers that they can't make any decisions on their own without it, that women should put up with whatever sadistic torture their abusive husbands inflict on them and any kids involved, and that they can't expect any help from their churches or church leaders. So not only is there abuse in the home, their own damn belief systems are abusing them on top of it. 

• Like 1

Let's have a vote!

Which post made you throw up in your mouth more, the OP or post #5 (ironhorse's reply)?

Voting is going to be difficult, Fwee. They both made me throw up in my mouth equally. Maybe I could do a coin toss to figure out which one to vote for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super Moderator

Well you SHOULD be ashamed, Ironhorse!

You say that it's all grace, not works.  If that's so, then where in your life is the visible proof that you are under God's grace?

Hint:

Go to Biblegateway.com and perform a keyword search for the word 'fruit'.

Restrict your search to the Gospels and set the display to give you 50 results per page.

You'll get 30 hits, 24 of which apply directly to you.

Then do the same search (fruit), restricting yourself to the Epistles.

You'll get 13 hits, 8 of which apply directly to you.

You've shown us the rotten fruit of faithlessness by breaking your promise to answer ALL the questions put to you.

"Produce fruit in keeping with repentance" Ironhorse (Matthew 3 : 8) and makes amends for your bad fruit by answering them.  By now you know where they are.

Bumped on BAA's behalf.  Ironhorse, please make good on the promise you have made to address all of the issues put before you.