Goodbye Jesus

Ex Christian?

azisbest

Hi all brand new member here!  My first question would be:  Am I an really an ex christian?  Considering the fact that I was born and baptized mormon and many in christianity consider Mormons to be non Christians could I really be called an ex Christian since I am not a believer in any sort of mythology or superstition? 

Hei, Azisbest!  First of all, you don't need to be any sort of "official" ex-Christian of any sort to be here.  Secondly, I know there are a few former Mormons on the board, although I can't remember who they are at the moment.

In any event -- Welcome!

Hi all brand new member here!  My first question would be:  Am I an really an ex christian?  Considering the fact that I was born and baptized mormon and many in christianity consider Mormons to be non Christians could I really be called an ex Christian since I am not a believer in any sort of mythology or superstition? 

I would like to apologize to you for all the years I thought Mormons were not real Christians.

Today I realize that Christianity is much bigger than my own favorite flavors of Christianity.  There are so many different variations of Christianity.  And yes Mormonism is just as legitimate as any of the others.  Christianity is a huge movement.

If there was ever a time when you did believe the theology but no longer do then you are an ex-Christian.  If not then stay around and talk to us anyway.  You sound like you will make a fine member.  Welcome.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the greetings.  I will comment on some of your comments and questions.  Have I decided I no longer believe in lds teachings?  Lol, that is akin to asking me if I have decided I no longer believe in Santa, since there is every bit as much proof of Santa as there is for the "truths" of Mormonism.  And of course the Mormon church and its adherents feel they are xtians, if fact like all other sects they feel they only have found the narrow path to the godhood.  They consider all non Mormons as gentiles.  Finally, there is no need for an apology mymistake,  It is true that Mormonism is every bit as legitimate as any other religion.  But since none of them have any proof of legitimacy whatsoever that should be of little solace to the lds membership. 

• Like 4

Hi, azisbest. I would be interested in your experience as a Mormon. I heard about a coworker who quit Mormonism and it was harder than quitting the average denomination. He said he got visits from Mormons for many years who tried to bring him back - even after he moved.

One think I enjoy about forums is the variety of experiences, so I hope you will talk a little bit about Mormonism even though you no longer believe it.

Welcome, azisbest.  Mormonism is a Christianity just like any other.  I'm glad that you found your way out of it.  What did it take for you?

Welcome. I think you will like it here.

First off, welcome to Ex-C. Second, I echo the apology issued by Mymistake.

Third, and very much interesting, after the 2012 election, more Christians than ever are starting to embrace Mormons as fellow Christians. Even the great, loud and proud John Hagee calls Mormons allies. I didn't know it then, but I was already on my way to deconversion. The totality of the situation was not lost on me. I saw the movie the Godmakers as a teenager, an evangelical counterapologetic against Mormonism. A vast sum of money has been spent by Christians in counterapologetic to various sects like Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, even Catholics! But this can be readily undone, as it was by the Ministry of Truth in George Orwell's 1984. This is just an ad hoc prediction, but just as modern Christians have taken down a lot of denominational lines between themselves in their fight against the world, I think you'll see a day where Christians, Jews and Muslims will stand together in solidarity against the unbelieving world. Pat Robertson, John Hagee, the leaders of Isis, the Israeli government, and Hamas, all standing arm in arm, singing praise, with strap-ons, and not of the sexual variety. The Powerful have always united to save the current infrastructure against the Not Powerful. And those members of the faith(s) who don't go along, will just be accused of not being in unity. It wasn't that long ago when many Americans were concerned about having a Catholic President. and I remember in the 1980s how peple were very opinionated against Catholics. You don't see that so much anymore.

Anyway, again, welcome aboard. And, for what it's worth, I find the Mormon idea of Hell just a bit more humane, the whole idea of sitting there in the dark behind a curtain, on the other side of which are missionaries trying to convince you of what it will take for you to get out. If I understand it properly, that is.

Welcome to ExC, and thanks for sharing your story. I always considered any religious group who claimed that Jesus was the son of God as Christian, and Mormons fit that, so you're ex-Christian in the general sense in my book.

Well apostate, quitting mormonism was very easy for me since I believe absolutely nothing of what they teach.  I would not even allow my daughters to attend the church since it teaches young women that they are not equal and that the men should be the decision makers.  And in truth I never have quit officially, I just stopped attending.  And that was many many years ago.  I have never even been visited by any lds "teachers" but I would not be averse to meeting with them.  I have every confidence that my belief system is not only stronger than theirs but much stronger.  And TrueFreedom, what it took for me to leave mormonism was education and observation, but nothing specific.  In the final analysis whether mormans are considered xtian or not is simply a matter of semantics and conjecture for me, ultimately all  religions are based on superstition and mythology.   

• Like 1

I was never a christian in the first place. I am still here. I am guessing no one here cares if you were. You are welcome here in my opinion no matter what you believe.

Discussing these things at various levels with various points of view is important for us all.

Glad to meet you Azisbest.  I don't know if you are an "ex-Christian," as this depends heavily on the definition of a Christian, and said definition is a matter of much debate.  I am very interested, however, to read your posts.

Ever since developing a hatred for Christianity, I've found that I'm actually OK with Mormonism for one reason: Mormons don't believe in eternal conscious torment for unbelievers (at least not from what I understand, as conveyed to me by Mormons).  Even though they travel the world attempting to convert others, they do not condemn anyone to eternal hellfire, and this enables me to tolerate their religion.

Welcome to the glorious Ex-C forums, Brother! I was visited by a couple of young Mormons a few hours ago. They politely asked if they could talk to me about Kryasst for a few minutes. I politely informed them that Jesus is a myth and that I was not in the mood to discuss religious bullshit. And then I politely shut the door in their faces. :)

I agree with Bhim as to whether you are an ex-Christian or not. I can tell you that back in my hardcore Christian days, I considered Mormons to be non-Christian cultists, just like the Jehovah's Witnesses. They were all going to Hell, just as I firmly believed that all non-Christians were. 

Hope you stick around and enjoy the site. Lots of wonderful people here to call friends. Glory!

Welcome to ex-Christian! I have been out for over 30 years, but when I was young, the Mormans were considered a cult and "not Christian" by the mainstream Christian churches. I think the dividing line was between Baptist and Seventh Day Adventist. seventh Day Adventist and beyond was considered non-Christian cult!

No doubt the Mormans and all of those other groups considered themselves to be the only recipients of the "true truth" and the only church that was really going to heaven!

Ex-Christian exists as a support group for people who have had to put up with the brainwashing and mental abuse inflicted by religions that preach a dividing line between "us and them"' so I'm sure you will have similar issues to discuss with other members here.

Once again - welcome!

Welcome.

You are an ex-Mormon.  Many Christians would say you were never a Christian.  Practically all ex Christians would say, I suspect, that you were as much a Christian as any other.

You have every right to be here.

Whether Mormons are Xtians or not, they are of the same ilk. From a practical standpoint they are exactly the same. bill

I never considered Mormons to be 'Christians,' but only for some boring theological reason I can't recall ATM. Based on the criteria I was taught, there are Catholics, Orthodox, Protestant, and the rest are cults.

But fled or the purposes of this forum, support for people who have left Christian or Christianish backgrounds, they can certainly be ex-Christians! Welcome aboard! I am more active in chat than on these forums, so I hope to see you there again soon :)

I never considered Mormons to be 'Christians,' but only for some boring theological reason I can't recall ATM. Based on the criteria I was taught, there are Catholics, Orthodox, Protestant, and the rest are cults.

But for the purposes of this forum, support for people who have left Christian or Christianish backgrounds, they can certainly be ex-Christians! Welcome aboard! I am more active in chat than on these forums, so I hope to see you there again soon :)

It just occurred to me that if evangelicals define ex-Christians, then none of us are ex-Christians since no true believer can ever fall away (as per the doctrine of eternal security). So perhaps we should simply say that we formerly practiced Christianity, and not bother with whether or not we were true believers.