Goodbye Jesus

Leaving Fundamentalism

rachel15

I came across this blog yesterday by David Rattigan which had an interesting article about leaving fundamentalism, as he explains that stories are how we make sense of the world around us. 

http://davidlrattigan.com/leavingfundamentalism.htm

• Like 1

Goodbye Jesus

Beautiful. That is the best definition  of grace I ever heard.   bill

How incredibly profound. I completely understood the story narrative. For me, there was no voice of acceptance, however. Only the story, and now I'm out, in the sunlight of reality. Perhaps if there had been that voice of acceptance, I might now be some kind of liberal Christian, unconvincing to the One I made cry by my responses to belief questions, unconvincing to other Christians around me. Who knows. But the narrative / story part, I completely understood, through and through.

That was a profound explanation that covered many of the relevant parts of the journey. When I look back at my own journey out of the fundy world, I see that it began as little tiny baby steps many years ago - admitting that certain things didn't add up. Usually I just admitted these things to myself, but sometimes to others. Then, finally, in the past 5 years or so, there were some big (and very painful) steps. Then periods of letting the scars heal. Then exploring other ways of thinking. I sometimes wonder if there was any way I could have made the leap in less time. I don't think so. It's almost as if my journey took the most efficient path possible, and still let me keep my sanity.

Poor guy still not fully out... he still has the idea that you have to believe in things, particularly things bigger than yourself for life to work.  This I totally disagree with.  Its far simpler just to live for your own happiness.  Belief in greater powers / greater causes not required.

I volunteer for charities based on my interests... because thinking / looking in certain ways and hanging out with like minded people makes me happy.  I don't do it because I "believe in" their mission, or feel that my life only has purpose as part of a greater good; but by trying to make myself happy, I end up contributing in a positive way.

Christianity totally inverts healthy ways of thinking and being.