Goodbye Jesus

Isis Elimination

Guest end3

Have heard several modern men say destroy, eliminate, "kill them all", when describing how do deal with this amoral/immoral population. I don't think I can see much difference in this description vs. God taking out a population of sinners.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Have heard several modern men say destroy, eliminate, "kill them all", when describing how do deal with this amoral/immoral population. I don't think I can see much difference in this description vs. God taking out a population of sinners.

The most obvious difference, in one example, is that God wanted innocent Amelekite babies, livestock and women all slaughtered, where those calling to wipe out ISIS are referring to wiping out a military force. War does involve killing people. It is an interesting point you bring up that humans rationalize rules for war--who it's ok to kill and who it's not. The difference is the definition of war says that it's ok to kill combatants (ISIS) but not noncombatants. That's a human rule.

If you mean a situation where god kills a bunch of people for being sinners, like the Noah story, the difference is that it is cruel to kill innocents (how can a baby sin?) even if you accept the internal logic of the story.

Your argument assumes god is real and therefore sin is real, a point I disagree with. To me, god can't destroy a population of sinners, because there is no evidence that god exists. People tend to do the killing, using their god as an excuse.

• Like 7

• Super Moderator
People tend to do the killing, using their god as an excuse.

Can I get a "BINGO?"

• Super Moderator

It's kind of interesting to me that a band of terrorists is attempting to take over a country and all America wants to do about it is sanction Russia.  I wonder if it's because neither Russia nor Ukraine is a Muslim country?  Or maybe we're just a nation of hypocrites.

It's kind of interesting to me that a band of terrorists is attempting to take over a country and all America wants to do about it is sanction Russia.  I wonder if it's because neither Russia nor Ukraine is a Muslim country?  Or maybe we're just a nation of hypocrites.

US foreign policy is bizarre. I wonder how much of the political religious right has influenced the situation.

• Super Moderator

US foreign policy is bizarre. I wonder how much of the political religious right has influenced the situation.

I'd argue it has more to do with which country has the oil.

Yep, that's always there, but so many preachers have been peddling Xtian holy war against ISIS  in the media it makes me wonder.

Good point.  In the Bible when God talks about talking out sinners it sounds exactly like mortal humans trying to drum up support for a human war.  It is almost as if God is an imaginary tool that people in power use to fool and control the masses.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Yep, that's always there, but so many preachers have been peddling Xtian holy war against ISIS  in the media it makes me wonder.

"Convert them or kill them" comes to mind.

Guest ninurta

Greece too, as Golden Dawn decides that its only going to give aid to greek citizens of greek descent, we don't bat an eye at that either. Though someone rises up in one of our vassal states, we're all up in arms.

Doesn't Russia and the US still have a few nukes pointing at each other? Let's not escalate this please.

Then god is just a dumbfuck redneck.  What's your point?

It's all about money.  There's gas reserves in Ukraine and if the US can cut off Russian gas lines to Europe, US companies can sell gas to Europe too.  That, and there's big money in cold wars, among other Real Politik considerations. 

Thank goodness for all involved the US is hamstrung with only using sanctions here.  I can't imagine a worse scenario for the Ukrainian people and generally the people in the entire world if the US decided to use its military in Russia's sphere of influence. 

I'd also point out that the Ukrainian army doesn't have anything near clean hands.  They've been going into Russian-dominated areas with kill lists, walking up and down hospital corridors and house to house killing everyone on the lists.  They've taken over television and other media by force and forced, at gun point, propaganda broadcasts.

And, the fact that John McCain was over there stirring all this shit up to begin with just adds insult to the fact the US is sanctioning and more than likely funneling guns to a Ukrainian army that's going to get slaughtered if it butts heads with Russia head on.  He gave this speech when the opposition party lost its bid to go with Europe, as the democratically elected majority party voted to side economically with Russia. http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2013/dec/16/john-mccain-ukrainian-protesters-kiev-video

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/17/john_mccain_cranky_warmongering_madman_again_why_does_the_new_york_times_print_these_lunatic_ravings/

A US Senator doesn't just go run off to foreign countries and get crowds riled up for revolution on an unofficial capacity.  Just doesn't happen. 

They weren't going to be able to pull off a coup unless the US or Europeans backed them.  I don't know what better message to that effect you could give.  Since then, Joe Biden's son has been appointed to run the largest gas company in Ukraine and John Kerry's son in law has been appointed to the BOD. 

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303851804579560542284706288

Biden's Son, Kerry Family Friend Join Ukrainian Gas Producer's Board

In any case, I really hope things can cool down and we can see a peaceful outcome for the Ukrainian people.  When two superpowers are butting heads over a country, it's that country that ends up paying the price. 

Greece too, as Golden Dawn decides that its only going to give aid to greek citizens of greek descent, we don't bat an eye at that either. Though someone rises up in one of our vassal states, we're all up in arms.

Because we only care about our own interests.  Anyone who tells you foreign policy is ever about aid or humanitarianism is blowing smoke up your ass. 

• Like 1

How often has the US gotten itself involved in a war that it didn't have an immense advantage over? I think that answers the question regarding Russia.

How often has the US gotten itself involved in a war that it didn't have an immense advantage over? I think that answers the question regarding Russia.

I doubt the US would be disadvantage against any country.  The only equalizer out there is nukes and the US willingness to suffer casualties.  I personally think the US is at war here.  They're just doing it covertly like they did in Iran/Iraq or in Afghanistan/Russia. 

The only equalizer out there is nukes and the US willingness to suffer casualties.

My point exactly, it's not whether the other countries are more powerful, it's just how much of an advantage does the US have? If the other countries are able to take the fight to the US then I doubt the US will fight them directly (as in the case of Russia). It doesn't necessarily matter if they have nukes or not (though that is a big part). Simply put it's easier for the US to get involved when the war is *over there* and the risk of it being *over here* is negligible.

Guest ninurta

Because we only care about our own interests.  Anyone who tells you foreign policy is ever about aid or humanitarianism is blowing smoke up your ass. 

I've come to notice this pattern. I used to think it didn't always hold true, but I realize now, it always holds true.

You're right End, there isn't much difference. Innocent children and babies are all just as evil as terrorist thugs and they had to be stopped from growing up into those blood-thirsty killers they were predestined to grow up to be. When the members of Isis are all killed, if any of them have children or wives, then those children and wives should be gunned down too, because that is the Lord's way.

[/sarcasm]

I don't think I can see much difference in this description vs. God taking out a population of sinners.

That's cuz there ISN'T "much difference"...

Your point being?

I don't think I can see much difference in this description vs. God taking out a population of sinners.

Your point being?

Everyone says how barbaric God is in his dealing with evil yet we agree it appears.

Your point being?

Everyone says how barbaric God is in his dealing with evil yet we agree it appears.

Are you surprised some people are barbaric?  I'm not.  I guess I'm better than god.  Why you think this is some kind of justification is beyond me. 

Your point being?

I'd rather nobody killed each other. Should the babies of ISIS people be killed just in case their genes are bad?

Reading this my mind goes tilt on various points but the one I would like to make is this: While humans deal with issues the human way and that sometimes involves killing even though it is the least humans should do and only when really no other way is possible the God topic is a whole other. If God is real he is God. I mean God. Omniscient omnipresent...so God would know better ways to deal with amoral/immoral populations then just eliminate them. Then he also is...ehm...God. The creator of all things. So how come he creates something he then needs to eliminate because it is not behaving the way he intended to?

Your point being?

Are you surprised some people are barbaric?  I'm not.  I guess I'm better than god.  Why you think this is some kind of justification is beyond me.

When they cut your families heads off for not believing as they do, we can have this conversation again.