Goodbye Jesus

Letting Go Completely

mikey101

I'm not a Christian but I thought I'd post in this area because I have a different view than alot of people. I was in a dysfunctional Charismatic church for a number of years. After I got out I was really angry for a long time, and rightly so. But after awhile I stopped being angry, which happens to be when I 'really' let go of Christian beliefs.

I don't think we realize sometimes how our subconscious influences our actions. If someone is really angry at something, sometimes there's more going on underneath the surface. Like when someone can't stop bashing homosexuals, and later realizes he/she has homosexual feelings buried inside.

Staying angry at something is not really letting it go. From my experience, staying angry at Christianity shows it still has a hold. Which I don't think is that far-fetched considering how it can be deeply embedded in the psyche through society.

I remember one night I turned away from Christian belief and it felt like facing death, but I faced it anyway. After that night my hatred went away and I felt free. I was free to believe anything I wanted, not being restricted to just Atheism or Christianity. It's a good feeling to be free from something.

I hope this doesn't get angry responses, but if it does I can understand. I just wanted to share what happened to me. :-)

• Like 1

Goodbye Jesus

Moving past the anger is healthy.  Unfortunately, Christianity will always have some type of hold on many of us, since we live in a culture so permeated by it.  It's nice to have friends who deal with the same bullshit.

Moving past the anger is healthy.  Unfortunately, Christianity will always have some type of hold on many of us, since we live in a culture so permeated by it.  It's nice to have friends who deal with the same bullshit.

I agree, I don't think you can really get away from it living in the West. I have to be around some 'out there' Christians which I wouldn't have been able to handle before, but it doesn't me now. Everyone has their own beliefs and if they are different than mine and I strongly disagree, that's ok. If everyone believed the same it would be a boring world.

• Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums, mikey.  I doubt you'll get any angry reactions here.  What binds us all together is the shared experiences we've all had.  I think many of us go through a period of anger in the beginning.  Fortunately, many of us also realize that letting go is the healthiest way to recover.

Welcome to the forums, mikey.  I doubt you'll get any angry reactions here.  What binds us all together is the shared experiences we've all had.  I think many of us go through a period of anger in the beginning.  Fortunately, many of us also realize that letting go is the healthiest way to recover.

Thanks! I was actually on the forum a long time ago under the same account. I'm glad my posts are gone though, good to have a fresh start. I understand the period of anger, I probably had it longer and more intensely than a lot of people because of the sexual abuse I suffered from a church leader. Now I'm in a clinical program to heal the past from my childhood which is an intense process. It seems that so much of our lives is controlled by the past, but I'm finding out that getting help can make a big difference.

welcome everyone here is awesome

Welcome mikey. I can't see anything in your post that would make anyone angry; I hope you enjoy the board. :-)

I'm not a Christian but I thought I'd post in this area because I have a different view than alot of people. I was in a dysfunctional Charismatic church for a number of years. After I got out I was really angry for a long time, and rightly so. But after awhile I stopped being angry, which happens to be when I 'really' let go of Christian beliefs. I don't think we realize sometimes how our subconscious influences our actions. If someone is really angry at something, sometimes there's more going on underneath the surface. Like when someone can't stop bashing homosexuals, and later realizes he/she has homosexual feelings buried inside. Staying angry at something is not really letting it go. From my experience, staying angry at Christianity shows it still has a hold. Which I don't think is that far-fetched considering how it can be deeply embedded in the psyche through society. I remember one night I turned away from Christian belief and it felt like facing death, but I faced it anyway. After that night my hatred went away and I felt free. I was free to believe anything I wanted, not being restricted to just Atheism or Christianity. It's a good feeling to be free from something. I hope this doesn't get angry responses, but if it does I can understand. I just wanted to share what happened to me. :-)

Good post.  I would suggest that there is a difference between (i) self-anger concerning personal experience with the Christian religion itself (including past actions of others involving that religion including indoctrination, shaming, peer pressure, etc.) and (ii) anger at others who are attempting to promote that particular religion and instill it into secular society (e.g., forcing the teaching of creationism or other Christian dogma in public schools, promoting end of days military action, etc.).  One can, at the same time, and without contradiction, have little to no anger for the first but have anger for the second.

I'm not a Christian but I thought I'd post in this area because I have a different view than alot of people. I was in a dysfunctional Charismatic church for a number of years. After I got out I was really angry for a long time, and rightly so. But after awhile I stopped being angry, which happens to be when I 'really' let go of Christian beliefs. I don't think we realize sometimes how our subconscious influences our actions. If someone is really angry at something, sometimes there's more going on underneath the surface. Like when someone can't stop bashing homosexuals, and later realizes he/she has homosexual feelings buried inside. Staying angry at something is not really letting it go. From my experience, staying angry at Christianity shows it still has a hold. Which I don't think is that far-fetched considering how it can be deeply embedded in the psyche through society. I remember one night I turned away from Christian belief and it felt like facing death, but I faced it anyway. After that night my hatred went away and I felt free. I was free to believe anything I wanted, not being restricted to just Atheism or Christianity. It's a good feeling to be free from something. I hope this doesn't get angry responses, but if it does I can understand. I just wanted to share what happened to me. :-)

Good post.  I would suggest that there is a difference between (i) self-anger concerning personal experience with the Christian religion itself (including past actions of others involving that religion including indoctrination, shaming, peer pressure, etc.) and (ii) anger at others who are attempting to promote that particular religion and instill it into secular society (e.g., forcing the teaching of creationism or other Christian dogma in public schools, promoting end of days military action, etc.).  One can, at the same time, and without contradiction, have little to no anger for the first but have anger for the second.

I hear ya, but in my opinion the real god of the West, money, is going to win every time in the end. I guess if an extreme right wing Christian group has enough money it might be possible to make changes in government in favor of their religion. They would have to have a lot of money though.

It's sad that I have so much faith in greed, but it seems fairly reasonable considering how corrupt things are in the US today.

Also I was referring to obsessive anger, which I definitely had. For that, I realized something was going on inside of me that needed to be resolved. I'm just now starting to learn about healthy anger.

Also I was referring to obsessive anger, which I definitely had. For that, I realized something was going on inside of me that needed to be resolved. I'm just now starting to learn about healthy anger.

mikey101,

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for sharing your perspective. I was going to make a comment similar to yours that I'm quoting here. There is unhealthy anger, which you aptly describe as obsessive and self-defeating (such as remaining in a victim mentality); and there is healthy anger, which is the response to wrongful behavior, and injustice and abuse. The fact that religion permeates our society in the west and that it controls many people's lives, is reason enough to have healthy anger. Also, there is a distinction between anger and hatred. And there is such a thing as healthy hatred, directed at things that are evil and destructive. But hatred toward other people is problematic, because we are all human beings. I'm sorry that you suffered sexual abuse. I wish you full healing and complete fulfillment in your Humanity. I hope you will find encouragement and support on this site, as you continue in your journey.

Peace,

Human

Thanks Human! Yes I definitely understand what you're saying about a self-defeating victim mentality. The good news is I'm learning there are ways to change it in myself.

I've learned is that there are positive and negatives to most things, which is different than the unbalanced view I've had of things being either all negative or all positive. Personally I like the Buddhist and Native American religions, but at the same time I know they can have a negative side as well as positive. But I'm learning that's ok, nothing is perfect and doesn't have to be. Also it's ok for me to make mistakes, and to ask for help. And it's ok for me to see my positive qualities and be proud of myself. There are so many things new to me now that I'm in therapy.