Goodbye Jesus

Chat Vs Forums

1AcceptingAThiest1

I think being in chat is better than forums, i feel like i get to know the real people behind the screen, what do you guys think?

Guest sweetcakes

Depends on who is in chat, not everyone is open about certain things about themselves and tend to stay quiet while others don't mind sharing things about themselves, some would share details about themselves however would wait awhile to see if they can trust people before opening up about certain things. 

As the late/great (in ExC terms) Grandpa Harley said:  Internet forums are a gift to the slow-witted.

So yeah, I prefer forums.

Although I did meet my wife in a chat-room 14 years ago.

• Like 1

Chat is okay but the topics change a bit too often . . . or not enough.  Sometimes the pace is uneven.  For a text medium I think forums are best. 

Chat's cool because it's like having a cup of coffee with friends, just relaxing and conversational...sometimes it gets deep, sometimes it is funny and light. I like the forums too though, because there's a lot of different topics to read, learn and chat about. I like both 50-50. :)

Am I the only one who feels this to be another christian thing to rate something better than something else? If one likes the chat, that's fine with me. But why play the this is better than that game? Everything has it's place and meaning. And some prefer one over the other, depending on their persona. I personally am more comfortable with the forum but I am fine with others using the chat. Now I don't see how you get to know people better in the chat. You might get to know them differently. To me that sounds a bit like you go to a party and think you get to know people better by going around and do small talk with everyone instead of sticking with two or three and have a meaningful discussion. I do not value one over the other. Both have their benefits. I just think you confuse things here.

• Like 1

I say why not both? I use the forums for more serious discussion and the chat for chit-chat. Different spheres completely.

• Like 1

I say why not both? I use the forums for more serious discussion and the chat for chit-chat. Different spheres completely.

I agree with this entirely. They serve different purposes. I'm generally more interested in serious discussions, and I find that forums are more conducive to this. But chat is fine if you want something more casual.

Chat is good for fomenting rebellion.

Forums are the classroom/lecture theatre, chat is the student union cafeteria.

true true i do like both just chat more here my pros and cons, not trying to play a game of heiarchy of what better or not jsut asking genuien feedback is all moanerina just sharing thoughts thats all nothing more

Chat

Pros

when asked a question i can respond right away or vise versa

give person opportunity to speak on what they already know or believe no copy and past

no time to research a question and try to respond with a ill informed theory or article you dont understand

get to know people personally hobbies, life stories relatable understanding one another when a story is shared if soemething happens 5minutes ago 1hour ago, day before all can be discussed and get multiple peoples input at once to adress and issue quickly within 30mins

Cons

topics change very frequently or wont be addressed at all adequatly due to multiple things going on,

mood changes quickly ineffective in terms sometimes carrying serious overtone

cant save a good conversation

Forums

Can place well thought out messages for hearty discussions

visually easier to see a large message and read article or videos

great for serious inquiry and conversations

provides a good read on topics you are new to

Can save a good conversation

Cons

sometimes for people who are dishonest can copy and paste articles they dont fully know and defend it inaccuratly

sometimes messages can be extremly long and hard to respond to all points

sometimes people can be less transparent but is natural to do so when conversing with strangers

"I think being in chat is better than forums, i feel like i get to know the real people behind the screen, what do you guys think?"

Ok, this is actually a hierarchical statement. Everything that has "is better than" in it is a rating.

Anyways. What's the deal with you talking about dishonesty and copy and pasting all the time? First, you really think a dishonest person would be more honest in a chat than in the forum? A dishonest person can as well be pretty much not his own self in a chat as in the forums. You just get to know someone differently in the chat as you do in the forum. Nothing more and nothing less. The only way to get to know someone for who he really is would be to meet in person.

Again I don't have any problem if the chat is more appealing to your persona because that is who you are. You like direct interaction and you dislike having your opinions torn apart carefully to show you where your thinking might be misguided. You like the chat because you can get away with it...more easy. And that's OK, that's your preference.

What I do have a problem with is when you start pointing out things you assume as what you said about dishonesty and copying and pasting or being less transparent.

People are different in every situation. I once took a class about communications and we went to a place where you eat in complete darkness. You chose the menu before you enter the place and then you get guided to your seats by a blind person. You get served by a blind person as well. It was a very interesting experience. Having spent some time with that group of people who where part of that class I knew about how each persona was wired. But interestingly in the dark some roles changed. People who usually would not speak out where talking like waterfalls and those who where the loudest became quiet listeners. I think the way you judge people here you might be pretty surprised if you met any of them in real life...and maybe in some cases you would feel betrayed by your perception and your judgement you did on the forums and in the chat.

So I agree there are pro's and con's on each platform. That said I don't agree with those points regarding personality and personality flaws.

I've never tried chat, but it seems that it would be a better cure for loneliness and boredom due to the real-time feedback.

i get more njoyment from this site then i do christian forums, people are nice here in both chats and forums. I like chat especially becasue people can respond to me right away and i can respond to them right away no dodging of questions no hiding direct, can ask qualifying questions right away immediatly taking, people can take apart my agrument faster and make me looks tupid faster and make me look retarded faster easier but that helps me the mroe mistakes the more i elarn. I embrace my flaws i embrace being wrong and utterly destroyed in argments Chats to me provide that in a real and direct way as with a ofrum can do the same things. but it takes too long to destroy my argument in chat it takes 5 seconds in forum could take minutes or hours. I like my arguments destroyed quick...and swift

i love people in chat everyone is awesome i love the real connection i make

peopel elarned alot about my personal lvie and i learned alot about theirs its interesting

peopel elarned alot about my personal lvie and i learned alot about theirs its interesting

So the chat server doesn't let you scroll back very far in time? (Sorry, I have never used chat.) If so, then I suppose a person could have less concern about privacy and might share more personal info.

yea in chat after a certain point its cut off after so much dialogue has progress

come one directionless join us!

i enjoy fruitful conversation, we talk about ALLLL kinds of stuff from ear candling to anal bleaching to hobbies jobs and relationship adivce to theology science and evolution and then back to anal irrigation

yea in chat after a certain point its cut off after so much dialogue has progress

i enjoy fruitful conversation, we talk about ALLLL kinds of stuff from ear candling to anal bleaching to hobbies jobs and relationship adivce to theology science and evolution and then back to anal irrigation

I've never tried chat because I'm scared that your spelling and punctuation will be even more disgusting.

• Like 2

I think being in chat is better than forums, i feel like i get to know the real people behind the screen, what do you guys think?

I like the forum better as I prefer to answer in real time when I have the time and feel like it and often have to step away from the PC so chat is harder to maintain for me most days.

Then again I am a forum junky and participate in many over a variety of subjects and not all are for debating some are for developing a knowledge base and I use them professionally. I find that chatting with other professionals doesn't always get me what I need and email and forums often will. I guess it is just my personal experience that draws me to forums over chat in the end as yours draws you to chat.

I would questions whether you are really getting to know anybody in a chat room considering we could all be robots or mercenaries/ninja or from melmak. I would prefer real time conversations to be face to face myself.

by the way are you a christian or a deconvert? your name seems to say you are atheist but your form avatar seems to say you are religious? Confused can you clarify as I don't know from other postings.

Gall my status is straight male i like long walks on--- oh wait you said Religious status right? yes im christian deconvert from atheism but some gave me hassle about that part but oh well. i dont have waste time proving what i already know

Gall my status is straight male i like long walks on--- oh wait you said Religious status right? yes im christian deconvert from atheism but some gave me hassle about that part but oh well. i dont have waste time proving what i already know

Almost every Christian is a deconvert from atheism.  We are born not believing in any gods.  I was deconverted from atheism at age six.  My family had been indoctrinating me my whole life and then took be to a Jimmy Swaggart revival.  What chance did a six year old have against all that pressure?

And if you don't have any objective evidence then you do not know.  You can delude yourself.  You can lie to yourself.  However believing really really hard isn't knowledge.

• Like 1

true true i do like both just chat more here my pros and cons, not trying to play a game of heiarchy of what better or not jsut asking genuien feedback is all moanerina just sharing thoughts thats all nothing more

Chat

Pros

no time to research a question and try to respond with a ill informed theory or article you dont understand

This is a dangerous mindset that does nobody any good, nor does it do our world as a whole any good.

This is how we learn.  This sort of anti-intellectual world view is what keeps us steeped in ignorance and superstition.  Although nobody should think that one becomes an expert on anything after a few minutes with Google, nobody can become informed without going out there to learn.  Ignorance is never having to say you're wrong.
  • Like 2

Chat

Pros

This is a dangerous mindset that does nobody any good, nor does it do our world as a whole any good.

This is how we learn.  This sort of anti-intellectual world view is what keeps us steeped in ignorance and superstition.  Although nobody should think that one becomes an expert on anything after a few minutes with Google, nobody can become informed without going out there to learn.  Ignorance is never having to say you're wrong.

exactly better to respond with honesty then look up and article real quick copy and apste and didnt read further downt he article to have it disprove your own position. seen this happen to many times. if you dont knwo say i dont know or still learning but posting stuff you dont understand is dangerous as you say...with CHAT people respond with what they ALREADY know, if they dont know a question they will say i can get bac kto you on that, honest and genuine is much better than some christians i seen copy and apste without thinking for themself