Goodbye Jesus

Love Animals Like Crazy But I Eat Them Too...

Guest sweetcakes

Guest sweetcakes

Hello everyone! :D 

I'm going to start off by saying that if anyone on here, regardless if you're not a member of this site or you are a member, I in no way want you to feel anything. It's okay for if you love animals like myself and you decide you want to eat them. I am not the judge of what you decide to do. 

If you eat animals = cool

You don't eat animals = cool 

Recently I've been doing some thinking about how I love animals like crazy yet I eat them. On top of that, I love food. I love trying new types of food. Whether if the dish involves meat or it doesn't. When I think about this, it does bother me, makes me feel like a hypocrite. When you've seen those videos on YouTube when it shows slaughterhouses, how people abuse the animals first and then go about their way killing the creature. ( I know I said I am not the judge of what people decide to do with their life ) but...I don't know how one can be like "I think I'm going to work at a slaughterhouse!!" I don't understand how people can use look the animal in the eye and just kill it. I just can't comprehend it at all...

I've been thinking about changing the lifestyle and going vegetarian. I have my doubts about it though, like I said earlier, I am a lover of food, I have a bucket list of foods that I need to try in my head. My biggest concern is that what if I do decide to go down that route and say a few months in or years I mess up by eating meat, poultry, fish or seafood then all of that goes down the toilet, that's what I don't want to happen, that's what I'm worried about. However, I did learn after doing a bit of research that for vegetarians there is groups. huh.png

Semi-Vegetarian:

This group consumes dairy products, eggs, chicken and fish. 

Ovo-Vegetarian: 

Someone who would be a vegan if they don't consume eggs 

Lacto-Vegetarian: 
Someone who would be vegan if they don't consume milk

I still have more research to do on vegetarian and also vegan. I don't want this becoming a novel or anything. I just don't really like it much how love animals but I eat them. As I said earlier makes me feel like a hypocrite, thinking about going vegetarian and probably even going vegan instead ( as I said more research needs to be done ) I just have my worries of messing up and did I mention that I love food?

My reasons of doing so just because of animals and also pollution that it has on the environment ( more research has to be done ) 

Thanks for reading and have a good day/night for wherever you live. :) <3 

If you really fear backsliding in the event that you switch to vegetarianism, simply remember the phrase, "You are what you eat." and so are those tasty animals!

For example -- As a vegetarian sitting down to a nice steak dinner, you could reason, 'After this, I will still be a vegetarian since this thick, juicy steak is simply grass, hay and corn-feed that has been transformed into something else on my vegetarian menu!'.

• Like 1

There's a quote by someone famous (can't find it quickly on line, sorry) that's something like:

"Man is the only animal that will make friends with an animal he's going to eat."  

It's in a book I have at home, with that quote and a picture of a farmer relaxing at his fence, with his hand resting on his cow in a companionable pose.

I like to eat, too!

I just finished some KFC!

It didn't taste like corn and bird seed one, single bit! But in my heart of hearts, I know that that is all that chicken really is.

Wow! I could get used to this vegetarian stuff! Mmmmm!

• Like 2

I love animals too, especially birds, but I am also very carnivorous.  I see a bit of a problem, especially since I am also a Buddhist and I think reincarnation is very possible.  I could very well be eating a close relative that passed away.  That may sound dumb, but Buddhists take all life as being interrelated, so it could happen. Ugh..  Nevertheless, many Buddhists eat meat and it is not a requirement to be vegetarian.  The only restriction is that one should not ask for an animal to be specially killed for oneself.

From early childhood, meat was my favorite food, as far as I can remember.  It is one of the pleasures of life, which become fewer as one gets older.   I am sure its possible to give it up.   Just difficult if one still has access to it and enjoys it as much as I do.

I see no problem with milk or cheese, since it does not involve killing.  The only issue here is the humane treatment of the captive animals. And that is an issue I am glad to see being addressed more in recent times.

As much as I like it, I think if I actually had to kill a cow or a lamb, unless I was starving I don't think I could do it.  So, its a bit hard to think of the slaughterhouse doing the dirty work for me. So I am guilty in that regard.

Yes, I have thought about this issue. It is a bit of a conundrum.

Having said all that, I think humans really are omnivorous by nature.  Our ancestors in all likelihood ate anything they found edible, and that included meat whenever they could get it.  It is one of the keys to our success as a species.  The animals and birds that are too specialized in their diet may be less successful.

Thanks for starting this topic, because I've been thinking about the same issue.

In my case I live alone and don't know how to cook. I have a microwave and a rice cooker and a can opener. smile.png

So what I've been trying to do is no mammals and no birds. I suspect milk and eggs lead to abuse of cows and chickens, but maybe it's not as bad as slaughtering them.

One theory I have is that nervous systems and brains for shellfish and insects are decentralized and they might not be self aware? So I figure that eating shrimp or oysters is better than eating fish.

Sometimes I think consistency is overrated.

• Like 1

I recommend that you read this book as part of your journey. You will find heaps of literature extolling the virtues of vegetarianism but very few books that are clearly con.

I've walked both paths, grew up eating whatever was served, became vegetarian in college and then went back to eating meat ~3 years ago. Whatever choice you make, make it because it works for you as a person and not from a place of anxiety or fear. Take care of yourself too, multivitamins, Iron and B12 supplementation is very important.

• Like 2

Guest sweetcakes

I love animals too, especially birds, but I am also very carnivorous.  I see a bit of a problem, especially since I am also a Buddhist and I think reincarnation is very possible.  I could very well be eating a close relative that passed away.  That may sound dumb, but Buddhists take all life as being interrelated, so it could happen. Ugh..  Nevertheless, many Buddhists eat meat and it is not a requirement to be vegetarian.  The only restriction is that one should not ask for an animal to be specially killed for oneself.

From early childhood, meat was my favorite food, as far as I can remember.  It is one of the pleasures of life, which become fewer as one gets older.   I am sure its possible to give it up.   Just difficult if one still has access to it and enjoys it as much as I do.

I see no problem with milk or cheese, since it does not involve killing.  The only issue here is the humane treatment of the captive animals. And that is an issue I am glad to see being addressed more in recent times.

As much as I like it, I think if I actually had to kill a cow or a lamb, unless I was starving I don't think I could do it.  So, its a bit hard to think of the slaughterhouse doing the dirty work for me. So I am guilty in that regard.

Yes, I have thought about this issue. It is a bit of a conundrum.

Having said all that, I think humans really are omnivorous by nature.  Our ancestors in all likelihood ate anything they found edible, and that included meat whenever they could get it.  It is one of the keys to our success as a species.  The animals and birds that are too specialized in their diet may be less successful.

No, it's okay, I respect it, it's not dumb, I remember in Freshmen - Sophomore year of High School, in my Global class my teacher taught us about a decent amount of certain religions and how they believe in that so I understand. :)

I love food, I'm not the biggest meat eater, but giving the opportunity like going out to dinner, I will take it to my advantage lol. I'm also sure it's possible to give up just worries me, you want to give up something, you're doing good and somewhere down the road you end up messing up. I did a google search last night of loving animals, but eating them too an so much popped up. This one person was a vegetarian for 5 years and ended up eating meat. To know that does actually happen to some people makes me sad because hardwork and effort goes down the drain. 

Same. I love meat, but if I had to kill one I won't even bother doing it. If I saw anyone killing a animal in front of me, I wouldn't bother eating it. 

Dairy products I don't have a problem with. So that's out of the question. 

It really is a conundrum, I was reading another website how someone said how it's like religion in a sense when a question like this pops up and it can be quite confusing and make someone feel bad with themselves. Loving animals, but you eat them and enjoy the taste of them, no joke, bacon. <3 Love it. 

Thanks for starting this topic, because I've been thinking about the same issue.

In my case I live alone and don't know how to cook. I have a microwave and a rice cooker and a can opener. smile.png

So what I've been trying to do is no mammals and no birds. I suspect milk and eggs lead to abuse of cows and chickens, but maybe it's not as bad as slaughtering them.

One theory I have is that nervous systems and brains for shellfish and insects are decentralized and they might not be self aware? So I figure that eating shrimp or oysters is better than eating fish.

You can teach yourself how to cook, I'm telling you, you can. :) You don't need to do anything fancy, you can make easy stuff right in your kitchen. :) I recommend using these websites for some easy stuff to make

http://www.foodnetwork.com/

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/

http://www.food.com/

You can also use YouTube, don't be afraid to make a mistake though, I've made plenty over my few years when I started to cook and bake. I prefer baking more than anything and by baking I mean by things like pie,cookies...etc. Cooking is like science, experiment here and there. :) Remember try using those websites and YouTube to look for some simple things to make then work your way up. :) You can look into cooking classes around your area but they don't come cheap, I'll tell you that. 

Eggs...eh. To be honest, when it comes to eggs for some reason, doesn't bother me + with milk, the process doesn't seem like it's doing any harm whatsoever so I am fine when it comes to milk. 

Guest sweetcakes

sweetcakes, smile.png

Is it the killing or the eating, or both, that bothers you? Animals kill and eat other animals (some, even their own species). So, by our being vegetarians or vegans, we are not necessarily honoring any ethics of animals (except for perhaps vegetarian animals -- there are some who don't kill/eat other animals). But humans kill other humans. I wonder whether burial is/has been efficient and environmentally 'moral', or perhaps humans should consume dead humans. Humans are animals, too. I would never knowingly eat certain animals (including humans). Some people treat certain animals with the same dignity in life and death as they do other humans.

You've raised an important issue with many good questions. Food for thought... wink.png

Peace,

Human

The killing is one thing that bothers me, like I said in the OP, seeing videos of slaughterhouses on YouTube and how it's all being done is so inhumane to me, then to know that I love animals and eating them at the same time, in my eyes I look like a hypocrite. I know that in certain parts of the world we have people that hunt animals for food, I know it happens, we humans after all are at the top of the food chain. When someone becomes a vegetarian it doesn't stop anything that's going on in the world today. The problem is still on going. So basically both bother me. 

I know that animals kill each other, I don't have a problem with that. I do believe that everything in earth the ecosystem that is, there is a balance. ( more research needs to be done for me to fully understand this ) I do think with animals eating each other...it leaves a balance. So there's not too much of a certain species. When an animals goes extinct because of human doings, for example the black rhinos that is now extinct since 2013 & when I say human doings I don't just mean for food. That right there to me sets the balance off in a way. ( again more research needs to be done for me ) 

When it comes to humans killing humans and then to humans eating humans...I know it can happen and it probably does, but to be honest when I don't think much of a human eating humans, when I say that I mean that it doesn't come to my mind and when a human kills another human...I just wonder why? 

I recommend that you read this book as part of your journey. You will find heaps of literature extolling the virtues of vegetarianism but very few books that are clearly con.

I've walked both paths, grew up eating whatever was served, became vegetarian in college and then went back to eating meat ~3 years ago. Whatever choice you make, make it because it works for you as a person and not from a place of anxiety or fear. Take care of yourself too, multivitamins, Iron and B12 supplementation is very important.

I'm still thinking about it, I want to do more research on it, thanks so much though for this. :) 

I don't know if it's fear or anxiety, just not liking how I can tell someone I love animals and eat them doesn't make me feel okay thinking about it. Thanks for the tip though! :) I'll keep that in mind. :) 

I'm an animal. One that evolved to eat meat among other things. And I enjoy killing animals, cutting them up, and eating them. I'm not saying that other people have any obligation to do the same- I'm not concerned with that. But seeings how humans have evolved to eat meat... I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that killing is a pretty fundamental part of the human experience. I think it would do some people good to give it a try.

Guest sweetcakes

I'm an animal. One that evolved to eat meat among other things. And I enjoy killing animals, cutting them up, and eating them. I'm not saying that other people have any obligation to do the same- I'm not concerned with that. But seeings how humans have evolved to eat meat... I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that killing is a pretty fundamental part of the human experience. I think it would do some people good to give it a try.

What? Please elaborate on what I have highlighted in red, I do not want to make any assumptions on what you might mean. 

What? Please elaborate on what I have highlighted in red, I do not want to make any assumptions on what you might mean.

:HaHa:

I mean hunting for example. Or you could do like my in-laws and I do on occasion and buy a hog locally, kill it, butcher it, and make homemade sausage among other things. Fresh meat really is better than what you can get at the store- and unlike any ground meat at the store... this way you know exactly what's going into it.

People did this sort of thing every day for millions of years before you and I were born. There's something primal and satisfying about it.

• Like 1

Guest sweetcakes

GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

I mean hunting for example. Or you could do like my in-laws and I do on occasion and buy a hog locally, kill it, butcher it, and make homemade sausage among other things. Fresh meat really is better than what you can get at the store- and unlike any ground meat at the store... this way you know exactly what's going into it.

People did this sort of thing every day for millions of years before you and I were born. There's something primal and satisfying about it.

Oh, okay, I can rest now. :)

It's not about what's going into the meat or anything. 

I know people did those sorts of things way back and I can't be the judge of that nor stop it because it still goes on now. Just bothers me personally. 

sweetcakes, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I was thinking about this very topic just the other day, in fact. I am torn two ways. First off, I'm not really a big meat eater. I can easily go days without eating meat, but then I begin to crave it. When I do eat it, I stick to very specific types: pretty much beef, chicken, and bacon, lol. I don't mind shrimp if it's breaded. But still, I feel torn two ways- and I'm not even at all what I would call an "animal lover". On one hand, I don't so much mind the idea of eating animals when I think of this guy on a survival show... I think it was "Dual Survival". Whenever he was about to eat an animal he'd killed, he'd say, "Thank you for your food." I like that idea, honoring the animal for what it's doing for you.

On the other hand, I kind of think of us (humans) as having a responsibility, as those who have evolved to the highest sentient level, to STOP saying "this is how our ancestors did it", and instead treat the lower beings with compassion.

So yes, I am right there with you. Even when it comes to how food animals are treated. I KNOW that I ought to be purchasing only free-range eggs, and only pigs who were allowed to roam, etc., but my finances prevent me from doing so. My whole family eats meat (without any of these conflicting feelings) and so what do I do? I end up buying cheap meat, which I know means the animals' lives were shitty, and then I eat it along with my family.

I don't know, I guess partially, I justify it by saying that me quitting meat isn't going to make any kind of real difference. But your post got me thinking again.

A few hundred years ago slavery was an accepted practice, now we have moved forward to a point that it would be unthinkable. A few hundred years from now eating animals for food may fit into the same category. It's just so easy to see only one side of it by going into KFC, but a good look behind the scenes, like slaughter houses, is chilling. Maybe we all know better but use cognitive dissonance to mentally block out reality on the issue. I tried cutting out meat entirely for close to a year and was very tired all the time, but I later learned you must do more than just eliminate meat from your diet. If done right it is a healthy choice, I even heard about a winner of an ironman triathlon the was a vegetarian, so it is doable. 

• Like 1

I literally have no choice.  I eat meat or I will die. 

I'm on hemo dialysis and vegetarian sources of protein will all kill me as they are loaded with phosphorus and/or potassium, which will probably send me into cardiac arrest if I have too much. 

I too don't like the slaughter process at the big corporate farms, but personal choices aren't going to change the world and will as best I can tell just weigh one down with one more form of guilt-tripping and sanctification rituals as you aren't making a dent in the number of animals suffering or making any headway in changing societal choices.

Just my thoughts.  If people want to choose one way or the other, it doesn't matter to me, I'm just approaching this from the position of cold logic, not judgement. 

• Like 2

Thanks for this topic! It's an issue that's been on my mind a lot lately. I love animals, I am also a pet owner. With the advances of science, and being able to learn more about animal emotions ect., eating meat is a bit of a dilemna for me (as well as negative impact on the enivorment). I ask myself, would I be able to hunt for my own food, kill and eat it? I can honestly say, no, I don't believe I would be able to kill another living creature. Hell, I feel bad if I have to smoosh a spider! So it is hard for me to justify eating meat, and sometimes I consider going vegetarian. I recognize that me not eating meat will not ease the suffering of those animals, but I guess one could say it is a selfish act to make myself feel better. I'm not sure if I will ever follow through with this because I love meat too much, and I don't have the energy or time right now. I guess cutting down on my meat intake would be healthy, but that doesn't do anything for my dilemna since I will still be eating meat. If my conviction about the subject gets stronger, I may go ahead and attempt vegetarinism.

The other day I posted a video about wolf reintroduction into Yellowstone.  In a nutshell, reintroducing the wolves has thinned out the deer population, which were not being controlled even with fairly liberal hunting rights, this in turn has allowed grazing grounds to replenish and has seen the return of other animals, such as rabbits, otters, squirrels, hawks.  And all of this has led to taller trees and surprisingly, a restoration of river stability in the region.

This, because we allowed nature to be brutally natural, which even benefits the deer who are by many accounts, cruelly killed by the wolves. 

I think we should regulate the meat industry more strictly and stop the practices that have recently become notorious on YouTube.  They are sick by virtually all counts IMO, but I'm not convinced it's evil or wrong to kill animals for food or that doing so makes things worse for the animals themselves.  Evolution seems to have sorted this out for us better than we can in our limited capacity to consider all consequences of our actions.

Unfortunately meat is pretty vital to me, I have a GI issue that flares up from time to time and I have to avoid beans, seeds, vegetables and most fruits when it happens. Meat is one of the few things I can eat well.

tumblr_mdtl609xNf1rdh9azo1_500.jpg

I have two Vegan friends who seem incredibly healthy and happy and I wish I could be Vegan too.  Good Vegan food is om nom nom. But I literally do not have the financial resources necessary to buy the range of plant based foods that I would need to maintain the same level of nutrition.  Plus I am not motivated enough to spend the time learning about the nutritional aspects and learning recipes.  If I win the lottery I'll outsource it :)

I don't like the way modern animal food production pollutes and depletes the environment, and I certainly don't like the inhumane keeping and slaughtering of animals.  If there was a way to reduce demand without compromising public health from malnutrition (because most people can't afford the alternatives) then it would be worth doing.  In the meantime I will just feel sad about the issue but try to accept it the way the world is.

My job is to focus on making the most of my limited time here and that means my own health is top priority.  It comes before politics, every time.

• Like 1

Hello everyone! biggrin.png 

I'm going to start off by saying that if anyone on here, regardless if you're not a member of this site or you are a member, I in no way want you to feel anything. It's okay for if you love animals like myself and you decide you want to eat them. I am not the judge of what you decide to do. 

If you eat animals = cool

You don't eat animals = cool 

Recently I've been doing some thinking about how I love animals like crazy yet I eat them. On top of that, I love food. I love trying new types of food. Whether if the dish involves meat or it doesn't. When I think about this, it does bother me, makes me feel like a hypocrite. When you've seen those videos on YouTube when it shows slaughterhouses, how people abuse the animals first and then go about their way killing the creature. ( I know I said I am not the judge of what people decide to do with their life ) but...I don't know how one can be like "I think I'm going to work at a slaughterhouse!!" I don't understand how people can use look the animal in the eye and just kill it. I just can't comprehend it at all...

I've been thinking about changing the lifestyle and going vegetarian. I have my doubts about it though, like I said earlier, I am a lover of food, I have a bucket list of foods that I need to try in my head. My biggest concern is that what if I do decide to go down that route and say a few months in or years I mess up by eating meat, poultry, fish or seafood then all of that goes down the toilet, that's what I don't want to happen, that's what I'm worried about. However, I did learn after doing a bit of research that for vegetarians there is groups. huh.png

Semi-Vegetarian:

This group consumes dairy products, eggs, chicken and fish. 

Ovo-Vegetarian: 

Someone who would be a vegan if they don't consume eggs 

Lacto-Vegetarian: 

Someone who would be vegan if they don't consume milk

I still have more research to do on vegetarian and also vegan. I don't want this becoming a novel or anything. I just don't really like it much how love animals but I eat them. As I said earlier makes me feel like a hypocrite, thinking about going vegetarian and probably even going vegan instead ( as I said more research needs to be done ) I just have my worries of messing up and did I mention that I love food?

My reasons of doing so just because of animals and also pollution that it has on the environment ( more research has to be done ) 

Thanks for reading and have a good day/night for wherever you live. smile.png <3 

Hey sweetcakes

I don't love animals that much...means I find them beautiful and interesting and I love to observe them in nature but I can't really bond with them like other people do. Now I went vegan two years ago. Ironic, ha... ;) And it was a now or never kinda decision because I tried to go vegetarian twice before and wasn't able to do so. Cheese and sausage where the most difficult to give up.

Now there are plenty of sites you can find resources about it. I liked a few pages on Facebook that I like. For example fatfreevegan. Or happy herbivore. And finding vegan (a site with a collection of sites that have recipes). Also forks over knives. And meatless monday. That said there are people who probably would tell me I was not a real vegan. Because I am still having cream in my coffee if there is no other option (since it is not that popular in Switzerland it is even an advancement when a coffee shop has lactose free milk...) and when I eat out I too do compromises because it is not always possible to have it all vegan.

And...some might call me a hypocrite because once in a while, like every third month or so I feel like eating meat and then I do so. I think to become religious about it will only make a jerk out of you instead of helping your health, environment and the animals. I put it in this order because for me the reasons to go vegan where exactly in this order. Health was first, then came environment and then the animals. Because I never had any problem with killing animals to eat them...and my knowledge of the treatment was little and also I thought you can always buy organic or from a small farm where you know how the animals where treated and fed. However, that is different for everyone but I must say, those who talk about the poor animals and all get on my nerves as well...because not everyone cares about animals the way they do. I respect everyones love for animals but no one should expect the same love for animals from me.

What is important when stop eating meat is that you substitute vitamin B12. There are different kinds and they say methylcobalamin would be better than cyanocobalamin.

I once in a while substitute iron. But there are people who say it is not necessary if you eat enough iron containing foods.

I can say I lost weight even though it was never my plan to lose weight. And I eat quite good meals and even lots of nuts and avocados. Then my concentration went up. Can't really say why though. I am hardly ever tired after a meal and my digestion is mostly in good condition :-). I can even eat raw garlic again which I could not for a long time (gave me diarrhea instantly).

So not sure if this is what you wanted to hear :-) but that is my experience with it.