Goodbye Jesus

The Deconversion Of Bart Campolo

Sybaris

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. Glory!

tony campolo was one of my favorite authors in the hey days,,,,,

good to hear his son is a humanist,,,

Good news. 

Oh, that stupid "It all happens for a reason" line. Grrr. The infinitely wise god who never bothers to tell us what the f'ing reason IS. Oh, just trust him anyway....

I wish all the xians could be like Campolo.  They may not have any legs to stand on, but at least they wouldn't be obnoxious, war-mongering assholes like so many.  And, I bet he's not going to give his son any grief for deconverting either.  That's a huge plus to his character and belief system. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

"I passed just about every stage of heresy on my way to apostasy,” Bart said. “It wasn’t until I exhausted every option for staying a Christian that I gave it up.” I so relate to that quote. I investigated Catholicism, Orthodoxy, Mennonite, Amish, Calvinism, liberal Christianity... I so wanted to somehow remain Christian. I JUST COULDN'T. And it really, really hurts to hear people say that I "chose" to stop believing. The fuck I did.

• Like 1

^I didn't choose this either. Irreligiosity chose me. I exhausted as many avenues as I could in 3 years time, but because of the complete and utter turmoil that the fucked up congregation at the last church I tried caused for me, there was no way I could try another church after that. It would have been the same story all over again. It would have only been a matter of time. 

You can't unsee it. You can't go back to the not-knowing. We're left to cope with the aftermath of losing our faith on our own with no help from the people we thought we could trust in our congregations, whether we were brutalized out of it or we left on somewhat decent terms. Then they have the nerve to sling mud at us and talk a million kinds of shit about us. That's what hurts me the worst, knowing that people you once considered good acquaintances or friends from the church could flip the script on you in two seconds and throw you under the bus. 

It's all a part of the groupthink. But it's still so cruel and vindictive all the same.

Good article.  I'm glad that Campolo father and son did not have a rupture in their relationship - though I'm guessing it changed.