Goodbye Jesus

Scientists Confirm Drunk You Is The Real You.

ContraBardus

Solid evidence that if you're a bad drunk you're a bad person. Also evidence that suggests that getting drunk on a date is a good way to gauge what sort of person your date is. If they're an asshole drunk, they're an actual asshole.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/drunk-you-is-the-real-you-2014101591729

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2723630/Drunk-words-really-ARE-sober-thoughts-Alcohol-doesn-t-impair-ability-control-actions-just-makes-care-less.html

Doesn't that make me a better person for controlling my inner attention-craving, aggressive, insecure, depressed, flippant, nihilistic asshole when I'm sober?  I can also be quite generous, loving, and fun when I'm drunk.  I wonder if they tested with different types of beverages and in different social settings...

• Like 1

Well, there goes that excuse for bad behavior by drunks.

I tend not to show it when I'm drunk.  I might wobble when I walk, but my mental faculties and personality pretty much remain unchanged.  What does that mean? 

I tend not to show it when I'm drunk.  I might wobble when I walk, but my mental faculties and personality pretty much remain unchanged.  What does that mean? 

You've been body-snatched. unsure.png

• Like 2

That might mean that honey badger don't give a shit.

• Like 4

so the real me is a talkactive extrovert one? wohooooo

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

It seems only reasonable that when inhibitions are lowered you simply say and do as you would without filters or restraints. Probably most of us frequently, in the name of civility, bite our tongues and refrain from beating the crap out of someone who deserves it - alcohol can allow you to behave naturally. Up to a point, of course. There is such a thing as "stupid drunk."

I think everything is hilarious when I am drunk. Generally, I am just easily amused.

I'm pretty much the same person drunk or not.

Drunk me wants to talk about deep things and have sex. Oh wait, that's sober me, too!

• Like 1

drunk-baby-piggybar.jpg

• Like 2

Solid evidence that if you're a bad drunk you're a bad person. Also evidence that suggests that getting drunk on a date is a good way to gauge what sort of person your date is. If they're an asshole drunk, they're an actual asshole.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/drunk-you-is-the-real-you-2014101591729

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2723630/Drunk-words-really-ARE-sober-thoughts-Alcohol-doesn-t-impair-ability-control-actions-just-makes-care-less.html

I could have told you this 20 years ago... I learned this by watching drunken relatives and then compared to their sober attitudes and activity.

Those don't seem like creditable sources for anything that would be labeled "science" did you mean this as a joke? If not is there any real evidence or just "scientists say" evidence?

Why is it that it takes people getting drunk to act real? I don't need to drink to act like a schmuck and I have never seen anyone drunk not act that way? does this mean all humans are schmucks in reality and we just hide it to fit in? if that is the case aren't we really good people for hiding this in normal times so that we can get along with others and allow them what we want ourselves? How bad can a person be if they hide the thing that makes them bad to fit in with others and form relationships? Sounds like these scientists if not a joke need to try again.

It seems only reasonable that when inhibitions are lowered you simply say and do as you would without filters or restraints. Probably most of us frequently, in the name of civility, bite our tongues and refrain from beating the crap out of someone who deserves it - alcohol can allow you to behave naturally. Up to a point, of course. There is such a thing as "stupid drunk."

there are only two kinds of drunks and I determined this with studies that I am sure were just as valid the "science" from those articles...

1. Drunks that always lie.

2. Drunks that always tell the truth.

• Like 1

The study suffers from significant flaws in its methodology. The elephant in the room being the fact that the participants were allowed to self report.

Link to the study in question:

http://socialcogneurolab.missouri.edu/pdfs/Bart_Henry_Lust_Saults_Wood_JAP_2012.pdf

One of my favorite quotes: Write drunk, edit sober.

some might argue that it only worked for Hemingway :)

some might argue that it only worked for Hemingway smile.png

I think so. :) Worked for him, works for me.

Great way to make shitty people feel good about themselves.  "I'm not a bad drunk so I'm a good person."   Pffft.  That's dumb.

I think the bottom line is true for the most part, that while sober we consider the consequences of our actions, but when impaired we lower our inhibitions and just...don't care. I know it's true for me. So some might see that as you acting how you would if you didn't control your behavior.

• Like 1

The study suffers from significant flaws in its methodology. The elephant in the room being the fact that the participants were allowed to self report.

Link to the study in question:

http://socialcogneurolab.missouri.edu/pdfs/Bart_Henry_Lust_Saults_Wood_JAP_2012.pdf

Oh good.  I was worried that the real me tells jokes that are not funny.   wink.png

No worries. I'm not sure that I draw a conclusion that drunk = real from the study in question. Rather, based on self reporting, the experience of ethanol intoxication may be more nuiansed than some have always thought. However, one still must consider the flaws and perhaps follow up with other studies.

It's intetesting, but the effects of ethanol are not understood in detail. We think it may impact glutamate receptors and other neurotransmitter systems. However, as far as I know we have not definitively identified a receptor for ethanol and do not have a complete appreciation of how it can impact other receptors. All this despite the fact that ethanol has been extensively studied.

So funny!  My real self first wants to have sex with all the cuuuuuuuute guys around (oh, they are just soooooo cuuuuuuuute when I get tipsy!), then after the fun and another drinkie, I get all weepy.  Very nostalgic weeping.  It's so pathetic!  I'm even aware it's pathetic as I weep!

My real self is such a dork!

I got very drunk the night I met the woman that is now my wife and to be honest, she had a lot to do with that.  Bad influence that one.   zDuivel2.gif .  Apparently, the real me made a good impression.

• Like 1