Goodbye Jesus

Unitarian Universalist Church - Your Opinions If You Please?

Avandris

The first time I heard about UU congregations was on this forum and since then I've found myself curious about what such a church would be like. I have discovered that there is a UU church in my city and I've been toying with the idea of attending one of their services, though I have some concerns that are holding me back.

I'm pretty sure that I have seen some people on here say they have attended or currently attend such a church and I was wondering if any of you could give me a basic idea what to expect?

What are the services like (sermons, worship, etc)? Is everyone welcome to attend? From what I understand the Unitarian movement does have some foundation in Christianity, so are those rejecting it welcomed?

Any info or insights you could provide I'd be fascinated to read!

Thanks in advance!

I am not sure what UU churches are like in Scotland, but in the US they tend to be roughly similar in form to a Protestant Christian service - hymns, a sermon, no formal liturgy or liturgical calendar. UU's tend to come together not by a common belief system, but by a common respect for the journey each of us is on. The UU congregations I am familiar with have a strong representation of humanists, agnostics, atheists, and mystics, along with a representation of pagans, Jews, and people from a christian background. While Unitarians and Universalists do have christian backgrounds to some degree, that tends to be more of a historical heritage than a present perspective. UU congregations tend to not be evangelical in any sense of the word. I have heard of UU congregations that did not want to be listed in the telephone book so as not to attract new people who would mess up what they have going, but my sense is that most congregations tend to welcome newcomers - especially if they find that you aren't there to convert them to anything. It might be worth a call to the church office during the week to inquire about a good time to visit.

I tried one several months ago. It was okay; nothing I would dedicate my every Sunday to, however. I was by FAR the youngest person there. (I am 34, the next youngest person was probably in her mid to late 40's; most folks seemed to be 60's or older).

A man played on his guitar and sang a song about a river. Another man sang a song about love uniting all of us. The sermon was called, "Next!" and was about how everyone wonders about the afterlife (or lack thereof), but no one really has the answers.

All in all, it struck me as kind of... business meeting-like. I would be open to trying a different UU church, but not that same one, at least not for awhile.

The one we have in Atlanta, uuca.org, is quite active and has tons of things going on. There are so many interest groups and "affiliation" groups. Ours has an age range up and down the spectrum. There is no formal doctrine or holy book, but rather many "sources" of traditions. For us, it's mostly liberal people with liberal politics. Our congregation has been involved for decades with civil rights and social justice issues, including working with Martin Luther King Jr. and his church and community in the 60s.

I've never felt pressure to believe in anything supernatural or mystical there, but I don't think anyone would be discriminated against if they did hold some supernatural views.

It's definitely been a place where I've met many like minded people, many who left Christian traditions, or other faith communities.

I'd say, though, each congregation is highly unique and you really cannot know unless you experience it for yourself.

I used to attend a UU Church, but I only went for a couple of years. I think the UU Churches vary widely in their programs, their emphasis and the makeup of their congregations. I had a friend in the 1990s who used to rave about how great the UU Church was, so I decided to give it a go.

The people there had all kinds of different beliefs. I think most of them were probably agnostics or atheists. It was also very liberal politically.  Ultimately I did not stay because it was really more about social causes and I am not an activist type.

It started to seem very strange that these kind of meetings were held in a church building, with hymnals, etc. I couldn't support it eventually and they were just always asking for my money just like other churches.

Just because it wasn't for me does not mean others should not try it.

I haven't tried our local UU Church but I have reviewed their website to consider going.  They plainly say on their website that they accept everyone from all belief systems including atheists.  For me, it would be preferable to going to a christian church with my wife as I currently do but I can't see my wife being happy there.  She has fairly fundamentalist views.

Thank you for all your responses! I appreciate your insights into the UU churches that you each have experienced. As many of you have said, it sounds like congregations vary wildly depending on where you are and so forth. 

It sounds like its something worth looking into, if for no other reason than to satisfy my own curiosity, and perhaps I'll be able to find people in a similar place to where I am currently. I think that is my main desire to see if its for me, to find some kind of connection with people who are going through or have gone through the deconversion process that I'm experiencing right now.

As much as I love this forum and have found it supportive and helpful, I can't help but wish there were people I could speak to face to face.

We shall see if I muster the courage to go one Sunday.

In case that doesn't work out, and even if it does, check out secular meetups using Meetup.com. I have found a nontheistic meetup I go to, it's at a coffeeshop. I've heard, though, if you like the structure of a church, you might get something out of UU. I never really liked church, not even as a Christian. So it would be pointless for me to go to a UU church and listen to more sermons and do more worship things.

I attended a UU a couple of times. It was quite similar to church - actually too similar for me. When I left church, I left for good? The lack of "God" talk was interesting. The word "God" was mentioned twice, and both times it was as an adjective in the phrase "God-awful times". Ultimately, it wasn't for me. But certainly don't take this from the perspective that I'm trying to discourage you from checking it out.