Goodbye Jesus

The Pain You Cause

Guest sweetcakes

"I understand you've been hurt, but who hasn't been hurt"

Something someone would say that doesn't doesn't actually understand. Belittling someone else trauma and abuse. Trying to shut them up, don't express yourself. Heard it all before <yawn>.

If you actually had a conversation with me, you wouldn't be saying that. wink.png Knew that response was gonna come up. 

What I'm trying to say is, should it be an excuse to not respect one's beliefs?

Why do you think someone's beliefs deserve respect?  What if I believe all Jews should be forced to identify themselves with the Star of David or that black people should be sent back to Africa, would you respect my beliefs?

I don't think our personal levels of awareness are constant throughout life. I am more apt to separate my views from my existence as an older person than when I was younger.

I don't think our personal levels of awareness are constant throughout life. I am more apt to separate my views from my existence as an older person than when I was younger.

If you're saying people get their feelings hurt when their beliefs are challenged.  I agree.  But so?  If you believe something stupid; or worse, something that is harmful to yourself and others, your beliefs shouldn't be respected.  In polite society, we bite our tongues.  Here, we open up with both barrels.  It is as it should be IMO.

• Like 1

"I understand you've been hurt, but who hasn't been hurt"

Something someone would say that doesn't doesn't actually understand. Belittling someone else trauma and abuse. Trying to shut them up, don't express yourself. Heard it all before <yawn>.

If you actually had a conversation with me, you wouldn't be saying that. wink.png Knew that response was gonna come up. 

Why do you think someone's beliefs deserve respect?  What if I believe all Jews should be forced to identify themselves with the Star of David or that black people should be sent back to Africa, would you respect my beliefs? 

Yes, ^^

Or Westboro Baptist Church. Should we respect their beliefs? :-) I dont think so.

If you're saying people get their feelings hurt when their beliefs are challenged.  I agree.  But so?  If you believe something stupid; or worse, something that is harmful to yourself and others, your beliefs shouldn't be respected.  In polite society, we bite our tongues.  Here, we open up with both barrels.  It is as it should be IMO.

Ultimately it comes down to an approach to change their behavior. Much like if I come in here preaching...how many minds does that change. Love and understanding and knowing the individual will probably get better results. But keep bashing folks. They will bash back or not until they get tired of the methodology and leave. Or eventually the basher gets tired of bashing. Either way.

I don't think I owe anybody's belief respect.  I don't care who you are or what you believe.  Your beliefs are not owed respect.  I will respect people because I value respecting people.  Ridiculous beliefs are ridiculous. 

Absolutely! If Ex-C turns into some namsy-pamsy site where you are not allowed to identify bull shit as bull shit, I want no part of it.

• Like 4

Ultimately it comes down to an approach to change their behavior. Much like if I come in here preaching...how many minds does that change. Love and understanding and knowing the individual will probably get better results. But keep bashing folks. They will bash back or not until they get tired of the methodology and leave. Or eventually the basher gets tired of bashing. Either way.

Most of us aren't here to save the world.  People will change, or not.  That's pretty much on them if you ask me. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

A variety of subjects get discussed and argued about here. If someone denies that climate change is happening, for example, they will meet with strong opposition from those who happen to believe the conclusions of the vast majority of scientists. Very strong opposition. Climate deniers fire back with equal gusto. Why should a religious belief get special treatment? Yet, we have reserved a special place where people may promote Scientology, Voodoo, Satanism, Hinduism, Chakra Alignment or any other belief considered to be religious in nature. It's a bonus - this is not a religious or spiritual website designed to agree with people who want to display their spiritual insights. You may do that in one forum, but it is not the focus of this understandably skeptical place. As a moderator I try to keep the spiritual discussions from being attacked or scrutinized in the reserved forum. Sometimes someone will be offended anyway. I think the majority of members and the goals of the website have been well served here for quite some time now.

Most of us aren't here to save the world.  People will change, or not.  That's pretty much on them if you ask me.

That doesn't make sense. This site is dedicated to changing minds and does so through acceptance and belonging, etc.

That doesn't make sense. This site is dedicated to changing minds and does so through acceptance and belonging, etc.

Says who?  This site is for people who have changed their minds.  Quite different. 

We left our savior complexes back there with our self-induced guilt trips and our magical thinking.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Wrong, end3. This site is not dedicated to changing minds. It is dedicated to those who have left a religion that was toxic to them or that failed under scrutiny. There is always emotional and sometimes financial fallout when one starts to admit the Old Time Religion isn't valid.

Wrong, end3. This site is not dedicated to changing minds. It is dedicated to those who have left a religion that was toxic to them or that failed under scrutiny. There is always emotional and sometimes financial fallout when one starts to admit the Old Time Religion isn't valid.

Ok, fostering a mind change.

Guest sweetcakes

Well, shit....you make it seem as if that's the only purpose for this site. Should have changed the name of the site then.

Care to explain why we have an ex-Christian spirituality part then? Even though it's for those exploring other religions or whatever.

Well, shit....you make it seem as if that's the only purpose for this site. Should have changed the name of the site then.

Care to explain why we have an ex-Christian spirituality part then? Even though it's for those exploring other religions or whatever.

http://www.ex-christian.net/forum/30-ex-christian-spirituality/#.VElMnMl3MiM

If there's anything that's happened in the ex-c spirituality subforum, I suggest having the parties involved talk via PMs or tell the mods...

Many subforums of ex-c, pick and choose which forums you enter, be mindful of forum rules, easy enough...

• Like 1

This has been explained to you by several of us. 

Why do you think you can come here and try and change our culture after making only 65 posts?  I'm not trying to be offensive, but TBH, that's a bit offensive.  

• Like 2

Sweetcakes, as far as I know the mods are pretty good at keeping order where it's needed.  If you've had a run in with someone just take it up with them. 

• Like 2

It's easy to get offended when someone is ridiculing your hard felt opinions. It's also easy to get offended when someone responds to your post with the truth. While ridicule and insults should have no place here, expressing one's version of the truth is what we are about, as well as supporting his or her reasons. If your opinions are not based upon reason, but on brainwashing or prejudice, you may not know the difference between insults and the truth. If that situation arises, it can be explosive. If we just refrain from personal attacks and concentrate on the basis for our opinions, we should be okay. Remember, brainwashed Xtians frequently don't disagree about anything of significance. And that's a problem. bill

• Like 1

Why do you think you can come here and try and change our culture after making only 65 posts? I'm not trying to be offensive, but TBH, that's a bit offensive.

Exactly!!! ^^^^^^^

Vigile, I want to have your baby!!!

============================

Basically, in my observation of this thread, if everyone would simply educate themselves of the rules for each section of the forum, notify a mod any time one thinks the rules/guidelines are being broken in any particular section -- this "problem" would clear itself up.

And that's what I believe. So, respect that, please...

• Like 3

Guest sweetcakes

Why do you think you can come here and try and change our culture after making only 65 posts?  I'm not trying to be offensive, but TBH, that's a bit offensive.

Since when does one need to have a certain number of post to say something, or whatever? .-.

And no, I am not trying to change anyone's culture. Fuck, at the end of the day it is really your choice now.

Guest sweetcakes

I'm a Apatheist, this has nothing to do with me, but with other people that feel that way. ( why are you talking for them for? Blahblahblah ) at the end of the day someone had to say it. *shrugs*

• Super Moderator
Since when does one need to have a certain number of post to say something, or whatever? .-. 

He only meant that you're new to a site that's been around a long time. Many of us here have thousands of posts and things are pretty well established. If you don't understand why there is a Spirituality Forum by now, I can't help you. This place is what it is and has been thoroughly explained in this thread, other threads and the forum rules. I grant you, it's not to everyone's taste.

• Super Moderator

Why do you think you can come here and try and change our culture after making only 65 posts? I'm not trying to be offensive, but TBH, that's a bit offensive.

Exactly!!! ^^^^^^^

Vigile, I want to have your baby!!!

============================

Basically, in my observation of this thread, if everyone would simply educate themselves of the rules for each section of the forum, notify a mod any time one thinks the rules/guidelines are being broken in any particular section -- this "problem" would clear itself up.

And that's what I believe. So, respect that, please...

And in addition to being educated on the rules for each section, to keep this in mind from the TOS:  (Somebody had to say it!  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif )

Ex-Christian.Net strongly believes in freedom of speech. We believe everybody should have the freedom to post whatever they like on their own websites, within the boundaries of the law. Anyone who finds the moderation policies of this site too constraining is free to create another website tailored to fit his or her personal preferences.

• Super Moderator

Elephant? Is there still a question?

5504416037_788a1968d2_z.jpg

That's not an elephant...

Elephant? Is there still a question?

I have a question!!!!

What elephant?

================================

Orbit,

Since this can-O-worms has been opened, might you be able to provide a link to whatever problem you were having in the spirituality forum that did not get addressed by one of the mods?

And no, I am not trying to change anyone's culture. Fuck, at the end of the day it is really your choice now.

Well, I've been here for almost 10 years.  Many others have been here that long as well or at least have been around for years now.  You can't see why a newcomer coming in telling us we've been doing it wrong all this time when they haven't even been here long enough to get to know the people or the place might just be a bit obnoxious? 

• Like 2