Goodbye Jesus

Jesus Is Not Religion

mikey101

Ever hear this?  "Jesus is not a religion. I hate religion."

I can certainly understand someone subconsciously hating their own religion, and having to let it out in a Freudian slip like that.

Of course you hate your religion, it's really fucked up.  Case in point, you can't even see that you do follow a religion.. that kind of willful ignorance will cause your heart to secretly hate what you've been led to believe and think. 

Willful division and hate hurts the heart, hence the self-defeating life of a fundamentalist Christian.

The first statement is technically true. Jesus isn't actually a religion, but a deity (at least to believers he is). It's the belief in Jesus that is a religion. wink.png

As for the second, it is definitely sad that believers can't actually see that they belong to a religion, despite their hatred of religion.

My christianity was denial built upon denial.  So I was that guy.  I convinced myself that Jesus was by best friend and I didn't have a religion.  Now I see my Christianity as superstition.

• Like 2

Its not religion, its a relationship! Right? Right guys?

• Like 3

Much depends on how the word "religion" is defined.

I don't think it's that complicated. Lately though people have thrown out the word thinking they're above it, that 'they' have religion but 'we' have something real.  But they don't realize the other guy is saying the exact same thing about them.  "No, it's you that has a religion and we that have something real".  It's all religion.  People just want to be better than everyone else and use religion as a derogatory term for belief system different than their own.

• Like 1

Its not religion, its a relationship! Right? Right guys?

Exactly. Christians who say that think their religion is exclusively about have a relationship with the divine.   I was lead to think like that too, but I don't want to treat myself like that anymore, denying and disrespecting my humanity by promoting division and elitism.  It's a form of self-sabotage.

I don't think it's that complicated. Lately though people have thrown out the word thinking they're above it, that 'they' have religion but 'we' have something real.  But they don't realize the other guy is saying the exact same thing about them.  "No, it's you that has a religion and we that have something real".  It's all religion.  People just want to be better than everyone else and use religion as a derogatory term for belief system different than their own.

Well, the next time someone says to you (from your OP), "Jesus is not a religion. I hate religion.", ask the person to define "religion" before going any further in that discussion.  

LOL exactly bdp. Fuck those inferiors that meditate and shave their heads, we've got a relationship.  

Christian punk lol,  Can't resist this.. "We're crusaders, truth invaders."

I used to have that CD - all these years later, I can say it really, really sucks.

Yahweh says: "I am who I am"

We say: "It is what it is"

Nobody can argue that Jesus is a religious entity. It's just a convenient way xtians use to blow off the stigma that the word religion in general has, even though Christianity is guilty of most stigmatic characteristics of many religions.

• Like 2

I can certainly understand someone subconsciously hating their own religion, and having to let it out in a Freudian slip like that.

Of course you hate your religion, it's really fucked up.  Case in point, you can't even see that you do follow a religion.. that kind of willful ignorance will cause your heart to secretly hate what you've been led to believe and think. 

Willful division and hate hurts the heart, hence the self-defeating life of a fundamentalist Christian.

Oh, yes, that's a popular apologetic these days. "I just follow Jesus. I'm not involved in religion." 

More self-delusion. 

"Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." James 1:26-27

Oh, gosh, I guess it is a religion after all...

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

dear god, the comments on this video make my head hurt...

Wow.  I haven't heard an Altar Boys song for more than 20 years.  I didn't realize how bad they suck.

• Like 1

Yahweh says: "I am who I am"

We say: "It is what it is"

Nobody can argue that Jesus is a religious entity. It's just a convenient way xtians use to blow off the stigma that the word religion in general has, even though Christianity is guilty of most stigmatic characteristics of many religions.

They would say Jesus shouldn't be considered a religious entity like all the others.. he's different because he's alive, and it's a relationship they have in their heart.  This is what pisses me off, they dismiss and devalue all other religions that aren't their own, no respect at all.  That's a form of hate called religious intolerance.  Pew research did a study that the US was at the top of the list in religious intolerance.  I think the US is just full of alot of hate.. we're all about pride and violence.

Religion is an organized system of beliefs (a philosophical framework) that a group of people adheres to. Generally this includes rites and creeds and the like.

Jesus is not a religion, but Jesus is central to Christianity (which is a religion). I do hate what religion has become, but to say that you follow Jesus and aren't religious. Please. So long as the core of your beliefs lines up with the rest of Christianity, you are a Christian. People hate what the Christian Church has done to people, so they try to distance themselves from it. Sometimes you just need to suck it up and take ownership for the crimes of your ancestors.

Religion is an organized system of beliefs (a philosophical framework) that a group of people adheres to. Generally this includes rites and creeds and the like.

Jesus is not a religion, but Jesus is central to Christianity (which is a religion). I do hate what religion has become, but to say that you follow Jesus and aren't religious. Please. So long as the core of your beliefs lines up with the rest of Christianity, you are a Christian. People hate what the Christian Church has done to people, so they try to distance themselves from it. Sometimes you just need to suck it up and take ownership for the crimes of your ancestors.

Jesus is basically religion, because that's where the idea comes from.  Who knows, maybe there was a guy named Jesus back then, but it doesn't really matter.. the Jesus persona of the Christian religion is the Jesus that Christians believe in, regardless of how independent they are. So basically Jesus is religion.

Religion hasn't become anything, it's the same as it's always been, made up of human beings interested in spirituality.  If you hate religion, you should give up all your religious beliefs.  Forget God and Jesus, you hate them. If not, then get off the bandwagon and let go of the hate speech.

• Super Moderator

Sometimes you just need to suck it up and take ownership for the crimes of your ancestors.

Sometimes you just need to suck it up and take ownership for the crimes of your god, too.

• Like 3

'Relationship' goes two ways.  'Jesus' can't possibly be a relationship/

• Like 1

I started out my Christian madness going directly from the pages of the bible, new testament.  I found rule after rule after rule such as "don't look at anybody lustfully and if you do, cut your eyes out" and I followed these rules to the absolute best of my abilities trying to stay out of hell.  Drove me mad. I was trying to find the blissful relationship with Jesus that was advertised by other Christians but what was there to have a relationship with?  Jesus was not even like a person to me, just someone in a book.  I knew nothing about his actual personhood and personality.  Whats his favorite color?  Hell if I know.  Whats he like to do for fun, what's he think about me, whats he look like? Then a few years of "rule-keeping" later I am told that I'm doing it wrong.  See Christianity is not about rules, its about relationship.  In fact I am actually completely evil because I've been trying to follow the rules and that's just what satan would want.  It's called Legalism and its fucking bad.  It means you are a bastard and not a real child of god cause real children of God don't worry about rule-keeping cause they know they're cool with god, even though God says many times in the bible he will damn your ass if you don't keep his rules.

Oh. 

I had been following the rules that Jesus said from his own lips, such as do not lust, do not lie, obey God as presented in the bible, and so on.  Imagine my confusion now that I'm being told that I just need to have a relationship with Jesus, and I shouldn't be following his rules after all (which he himself taught, with a passion).  My head was spinning.  I had to get this right or end up in hell.  Besides, when I try to talk to Jesus he does not respond so where does the relationship come from?  How do you possibly have a "relationship" with Jesus when he taught many rules, and now in order to have the relationship you are supposed to forget about the rules, just forget everything he taught?   In order to have just the relationship aspect without the rules you have to invent a whole new Jesus. 

• Like 1

I started out my Christian madness going directly from the pages of the bible, new testament.  I found rule after rule after rule such as "don't look at anybody lustfully and if you do, cut your eyes out" and I followed these rules to the absolute best of my abilities trying to stay out of hell.  Drove me mad. I was trying to find the blissful relationship with Jesus that was advertised by other Christians but what was there to have a relationship with?  Jesus was not even like a person to me, just someone in a book.  I knew nothing about his actual personhood and personality.  Whats his favorite color?  Hell if I know.  Whats he like to do for fun, what's he think about me, whats he look like? Then a few years of "rule-keeping" later I am told that I'm doing it wrong.  See Christianity is not about rules, its about relationship.  In fact I am actually completely evil because I've been trying to follow the rules and that's just what satan would want.  It's called Legalism and its fucking bad.  It means you are a bastard and not a real child of god cause real children of God don't worry about rule-keeping cause they know they're cool with god, even though God says many times in the bible he will damn your ass if you don't keep his rules.

Oh. 

I had been following the rules that Jesus said from his own lips, such as do not lust, do not lie, obey God as presented in the bible, and so on.  Imagine my confusion now that I'm being told that I just need to have a relationship with Jesus, and I shouldn't be following his rules after all (which he himself taught, with a passion).  My head was spinning.  I had to get this right or end up in hell.  Besides, when I try to talk to Jesus he does not respond so where does the relationship come from?  How do you possibly have a "relationship" with Jesus when he taught many rules, and now in order to have the relationship you are supposed to forget about the rules, just forget everything he taught?   In order to have just the relationship aspect without the rules you have to invent a whole new Jesus. 

One thing they forgot was to have a relationship with themselves.  If they're able to think clearly, know and love themselves, they wouldn't have a problem knowing that Jesus is a religious figure and their faith is a religion, no better or worse than any other religion.   But dysfunctional thinking in fundamentalism doesn't allow much healthy thought.

• Like 1

I don't mind religions that much. Jesus is a bit irritating though. :-)

• Like 1

Guest Furball

I said it when I was a kid and I'll say it now. Religion doesn't do anything but drive people insane and make them do things they otherwise would never even think of doing.

• Like 2