Goodbye Jesus

Coming Out

OpenHeart

It had to be done.  There were a lot of reasons not to come out.  But I felt that I could not grow in my own identity, separate from the expectations of my Christian parents, if I did not.

I snail mailed it, and it's going from California to Michigan. 

Dear Mom and Dad,

I love you.

I know you did your best, raising me in the Christian church.  And I did my best to be the best and to do only the right thing, both in your eyes, and in God’s.   But I believe differently now, and you should know who your daughter is today.

My life experiences have led me to believe that we don’t choose who we fall in love with. We don’t choose where or when.  And I don’t believe we can choose how many times we fall in love, or that we should hold back from loving as many people as our heart calls us to.  

Some cosmic mystery destined my heart to love outside the box. I love, and share my life with, two men.  Hubby and I have opened our marriage, and in so doing, have found a deeper way to love each other.  We’ve been living a polyamorous lifestyle for three years.

The church will tell you that I’m a sinner, hellbound.  I disagree with that.  I’m agnostic, and don’t believe in words like ‘sin’ and ‘hell’.  I understand that you do, and that’s your choice.   But my ‘sin’ here is love, and I cannot subscribe to a religion that condemns that.  

This is who I am today.  I’m turning out to be something different than you might have wanted, but I’m hoping you can find it in your hearts to love me unconditionally.

• Like 6

Congrats!  Best wishes for your fulfillment and joy!  And your parents too.

Well done. It takes great courage to do what you have done and I hope things go well for you and your family. happy.png

Very nice letter!  Good for you OpenHeart.  I hope they accept it like adults.

Courageous.  All the best.