Goodbye Jesus

Obama

Castiel233

Now into his second term, what is your opinion on the American president

• Super Moderator

SSDD

No better, no worse than all the other assholes who've been in office in recent history.

I'm very unhappy with his wars but realistically any other joker who had a chance of winning would have done the same.  I'm not with the group who hates Obama so they can get a Republican elected.  I'm sick of both parties screwing everybody else.

• Like 2

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

• Super Moderator

I don't believe he's actually in charge of anything. He's just the empty suit currently occupying the White House.

He's done better than his harshest critics allege and worse than his adoring fans think. One big ole' meh. 

Better than W  by far.  bill

I like him but I don't know how much a lack of change is due to opposition or ineptness on his part. I also think he was a bit premature......he might have been more successful 50 years from now and yes I am inferring race has been a factor.

Agree with Florduh. The President isn't responsible for anything. He's just an elected scapegoat. Society's chew-toy. A single person to blame for everything makes things easier for the public rather than having to wrap their heads around the big picture.

• Like 2

The main difference is that a Republican president legitimizes and encourages Christian fundamentalism.

Obama has not done that. (You could say that he has encouraged it, in a negative way, by making them crazier .. but that isn't his fault.)

I'm also glad that he saw fit to include "unbelievers" in his first inaugural address. No Republican president would have dared do so. 

Obama is a middle of the road politician, like Walter Mondale or Bob Dole. I'll take that over someone who kisses fundamentalist/confederate ass any day of the week. 

• Like 1

Another in a long line of puppets that perform on stage.

• Like 1

I think Obama is a horrible president, but I voted for him and would do so again (if he weren't term limited) simply because he isn't an evangelical Christian. Yeah, his economic stimuli have been less effective than we hoped and his foreign policy is probably detrimental to our national interests. But I'll take that over a government that denigrate my religion and forces me to pray to the false god Jesus.

He's done better than his harshest critics allege and worse than his adoring fans think. One big ole' meh. 

That's typical politics. It seems to me that most politicians are neither as great as their admirers think nor as terrible as their enemies think.

The main difference is that a Republican president legitimizes and encourages Christian fundamentalism.

Obama has not done that. (You could say that he has encouraged it, in a negative way, by making them crazier .. but that isn't his fault.)

I'm also glad that he saw fit to include "unbelievers" in his first inaugural address. No Republican president would have dared do so. 

Obama is a middle of the road politician, like Walter Mondale or Bob Dole. I'll take that over someone who kisses fundamentalist/confederate ass any day of the week. 

Well said.

Many in the GOP seem bent on making America a theocracy, and we definitely don't need that. I'm not sure that I agree with Democrats on economics, but I'm not sure I agree with the Republicans either, and I definitely think that Democrats generally have a far better standing on social issues.

• Like 1

I don't believe he's actually in charge of anything. He's just the empty suit currently occupying the White House.

I wouldn't go that far.  Corporations don't spend over a billion dollars to hire a figure head.  Our politicians just end up inadvertent puppets of those who control the money (and I mean more than just campaign contributors -- primarily, bond holders and industry leaders).

Obama is the head of the Executive branch of the US government. Congress appropriates funds to run the federal government and the president signs those appropriations in to law. How those funds are appropriated is a matter of politics. The presidents power is limited to affecting policy within the Executive branch. The president influences foreign policy because the Department of State is under the Executive branch. The president can attempt to affect the Congressional agenda but that is a matter of party politics. Many US citizens have no idea how the federal government works. Lobbyist do so they influence Congress while voters post ignorant rants on Facebook about death panels, sharia law, common core, and 2nd amendment rights.

• Like 1

Obama had no upper level executive experience in the private sector, and no executive political experience either, such as being Governor of a State,  His stint as a Senator was short and uneventful. I am not aware of anything in his resume that would qualify him to be President of the United States and his lack of upper level executive experience has become evident.

Recent books written by former Cabinet members have criticized his management skills. A common criticism seems to be that he has a difficult time making decisions. He is quick to blame subordinates for policy failures but eager to take credit for successes or at least perceived successes. Other Presidents have done this too. So I'll chalk that up to politics. It's what politicians do and private sector CEO's too.

There is an unwritten rule that former Presidents don't criticize current Presidents, so when Jimmy Carter, a fellow Democrat, is critical of Obama and his Presidency that is significant.

Historians will evaluate his Presidency, but I think it will take at least 25 years out before such evaluations will likely be unbiased. As long as the Union continues to stand I guess his Presidency will have to be considered a success. Whether he leaves the Presidency in better shape than he inherited it will be open to a lot of debate. Liberals will likely be gracious in their evaluation of his Presidency, Conservatives not so much.

• Like 1

I voted for mediocrity- which I prefer over active destruction- and I more or less got what I voted for.

I'm not impressed.  But I'm not quite horrified like I was with the last guy.  

If I bother to vote in 2016, I'll probably vote for his mediocre successor. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't go that far.  Corporations don't spend over a billion dollars to hire a figure head.  Our politicians just end up inadvertent puppets of those who control the money (and I mean more than just campaign contributors -- primarily, bond holders and industry leaders).

it isn't inadvertant. it is with purpose that you buy someone and they let you. There are not accidents in our elections. they are carefully crafted to get the most for the fewest at the expense of the largest group with the least.

i think he plays slightly more golf and goes on slightly more holidays than previous ones.Seems pretty weak and indecisive.But just like many others think and just like our own system in the UK its basically the same agenda at a different pace whichever party is in.Same idiotic decisions that destroy the nation but we are told we must do it like this or we must compromise or its for our own good etc even though it means letting everyone in who want to emigrate ,paying for them to have free stuff even though they never contributed taxes and push for all industry to go to eastern countries so we don't actually manufacture anything much....but its for our own good as it will create jobs here!

i think he plays slightly more golf and goes on slightly more holidays than previous ones.

That's the picture being painted by Republicans, but it's simply not true.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/28/obama-vs-bush-who-took-mo_n_5729192.html

I'm more concerned about my local mayor and city council. The federal government is huge and slow. Those local sumbitches can take my house if they want to.

i think he plays slightly more golf and goes on slightly more holidays than previous ones.

That's the picture being painted by Republicans, but it's simply not true.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/28/obama-vs-bush-who-took-mo_n_5729192.html

Fair enough but hes still the American version of Blair.

Who cares, put a women in office.

I don't think this would necessarily provide any advantage over a male candidate. After all, Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann are amongst the likely female candidates.