Goodbye Jesus

What I Learned From Today's Gairdner Lecture

Helvetios

For those who are not aware, the Gairdner Foundation is a prestigious Canadian organization whose purpose is to recognize outstanding achievement in biomedical research. As far as I know it's the most highly regarded biomed award in the world...have to check but I think that's what the representative mentioned today. Each year the current recipients of the Canada Gairdner International, Global Health, and Wightman awards tour over 24 Canadian universities across the country to present their research. Today, Dr. Titia de Lange visited the University of Waterloo to share her discoveries on how the ends of chromosomes protect themselves against various DNA repair pathways. She's going to my sister's university tomorrow to do the same thing and I hope my sister will get to see her too.

I won't bore you with the details (unless you're curious - I took notes!) but I have to say, the scientific method is an exquisite way of thinking about the material world. Research is full of obstacles, unexpected results, results that fit the model but have an unknown factor involved, etc.; this project encountered them all, and yet she and her team were able to move past that to discover some very interesting mechanisms.

Properly done, scientific research is a fantastic tool for learning about the world. Improperly done, it can foster incorrect (and even dangerous) beliefs - see BAA's resources in the Intercessory Prayer thread in the Lion's Den for a good example. And even if it's properly done it can still be misinterpreted if the people who read it don't have the proper background knowledge. This is why it's important to read carefully and listen to the experts themselves, without relying solely on the interpretations of non-scientists.

Now since this is the Science vs. Religion subforum, a couple verses for your consideration. Double standard?

"Present your case," says the Lord... "Tell us, you idols, what is going to happen...declare to us the things to come, tell us what the future holds, so we may know that you are gods. Do something, whether good or bad, so that we will be dismayed and filled with fear. But you are less than nothing and your works are utterly worthless; whoever chooses you is detestable."

Isaiah 41:21-24

And Jesus answered him, "It is said, 'You shall not test the Lord your God.' "

Luke 4:12

• Like 3

Fascinatingly ironic verse from Isaiah, thanks for showing us that.  It seems the bible authors may have inadvertently provided criteria for evaluating the existence of deities.  Oopsies.

• Like 1

The following is not exactly what you are talking about but a similar situation.  I think I saw it in a video where the author pointed out that the bible is full of examples of god testing people like abraham, job, etc. but strictly forbids people from testing him.  That was a good idea; we don't want anyone figuring out that god is just a human construct.

Gods have been made bulletproof. You can't test for an invisible, inaudible, undetectable 'feeling' whose actions can be explained by natural processes and who can't be summoned on demand either because he's too cool for that. You just can't do it.

• Like 1