Goodbye Jesus

All This Prayer Is Getting To Me--Why Not Talk Normal Stuff

R. S. Martin

I realize I haven't been around in a while so maybe it's not fair to come back to rant but where else can I go. Yeah, I know. It's an old rant and everyone deals with it from time to time. It's just that it's me this time. A cousin in an accident and everyone emphasizes the power of prayer. I understand it's their only consolation, the only way they know, but still it's coming a bit thick when every update and email is so full of it.

QUOTE: Everyone mentioned here [who was hurt in the accident] knows Jesus as their Lord and Saviour. It's just a lot going on right now. [someone was still in therapy for a previous accident] Trish said: Thank you to those who have been praying and support us through this. We may never know the impact of those prayers until we get to see Jesus face to face. Thank you.

It's just getting to me, seems a bit over-done, that's all. And no way can I talk to them about it. Hence the rant here. I already feel better...

• Like 2

I realize I haven't been around in a while so maybe it's not fair to come back to rant but where else can I go. Yeah, I know. It's an old rant and everyone deals with it from time to time. It's just that it's me this time. A cousin in an accident and everyone emphasizes the power of prayer. I understand it's their only consolation, the only way they know, but still it's coming a bit thick when every update and email is so full of it.

QUOTE: Everyone mentioned here [who was hurt in the accident] knows Jesus as their Lord and Saviour. It's just a lot going on right now. [someone was still in therapy for a previous accident] Trish said: Thank you to those who have been praying and support us through this. We may never know the impact of those prayers until we get to see Jesus face to face. Thank you.

It's just getting to me, seems a bit over-done, that's all. And no way can I talk to them about it. Hence the rant here. I already feel better...

Accidents happen all the time. People look for reasons to explain them but that is sort of the nature of accidents.

The real stupidity in all of that prayer is that the very god they pray to let this accident happen based on what they believe. So god apparently stays out of day to day life for us but we are expected to have him in our day to day life with prayer and faith??? Sounds like a bait and switch to me.

Rather than put their energy into something that may actually help this person they waste it on prayer? Is anyone helping feed their kids or pay their bills while they are laid up? Is anyone doing anything but praying? All that wasted energy. I guess if it makes them feel better it is up to them, but in the end if they are doing it to feel better that seems sort of greedy.

• Like 2

Hey RSM, nice to see you back, it's been a while.  No need to apologise for ranting, we all have times when we need to and this is a good place for it.

When my ex-partner was hospitalised following a nasty accident I learned all the things you need practical help with at a time like that.  I desperately needed someone to mow the lawn because I was too exhausted from all the trips to the hospital and the worry.  Despite asking for help, no one ever came through for me, the lawn grew long and was a bitch to mow when I was finally able to do it.  But there were lots of FB posts about useless old prayer.

• Like 1

I know what you mean. A fb friend recently had their car stolen, and of course it was "Please pray", followed by a couple dozen "we're praying". Guys. What happened to the car, happened to the car. What does praying have to do with it??

Prayer: Allows you to believe you are making a difference while doing jack squat.

Basically a believer is saying, "Awfully sorry to hear you are having a rough time at the moment. I'll just send some magical thoughts to my invisible friend who lives in another dimension  and hopefully He will put everything right. Don't worry if He doesn't thou, as I am certain He will make it  all good after you die"

I know what you mean. A fb friend recently had their car stolen, and of course it was "Please pray", followed by a couple dozen "we're praying". Guys. What happened to the car, happened to the car. What does praying have to do with it??

The car is with Jesus now

• Like 2

The car is with Jesus now

Wrong! The car has been sent to Hell to be turned into junk and then sold by a greedy, used car salesman. firedevil.gif If only it would have accepted Jesus into its engine...

Guest Furball

Strange how it's only when the sh*t hits the fan that we say i'll pray for you. As if to say if everything is going ok for you then i won't pray for you, f-off.

No apologies Ruby, you're always welcome here. 

I read in the paper recently about a woman who underwent a horrific experience and received many, many prayers.  She thanked the praying people, then added, "I am feeling much better, so have passed the prayers along to other people who need them more now."  What does that even mean?

Thanks for all the responses. I must have really felt a lot better after the rant. I forgot all about the post. 

Her kids are grown but I understand people did show up to provide the necessities. 

The post about car heaven/hell is really funny. :)