Goodbye Jesus

A Guide To Fallacious Arguments, Illustrated With Funny Animals

FreeThinkerNZ

http://io9.com/a-guide-to-fallacious-arguments-illustrated-with-funny-1273276162

Example (a thinly veiled attack on holy books):

Logical Fallacy: Circular Reasoning

18zjewz8ukudfpng.png

Looks like a clever presentation.

So is this actually a real six-eyed fish?

Researchers at the University of Michgan claim this 6 eyes Grouper found
off the coast of South America last week proves that evolution occurs since
this is the only six eyed fish know to exist. They believe lived in depths, up to 
5,000 feet (1,500 meters) below the surface. Considered a living fossil, the six eyed Gruper ,
this six-eyed Grouper bear who swam the seas in the time of the dinosaurs.
many physical characteristics of ancestors deep water Gruopers. 

The Creation Research Institute issueda statement claiming " it [6 eyed fish] did not prove
evolution but rather proved that God created each creature after it own kind,
God did not limit the number of eyes it might have" the CRI stated.

godfish-e1416068207613.jpg

"Yes little ones" says Mr. Godfish, "trust in the science 

of random things and you will see, the magical law of evolution

where anything is possible to them that believe."

An openly candid attack on the Church doctrine of evolution.

Logical fallacy:  The doctrine of evolution is based upon belief anything is possible with Nature's God.   

• Super Moderator

I knew a guy with three nipples, a girl with a tail, and a baby with her brain on the outside of her skull (that one didn't live long). Good thing God doesn't make mistakes.

Hi Justus!

Could you please supply a link to UMich where those researchers make that claim.  https://www.umich.edu/

And also the CRI page that carries the statement you quoted. http://www.icr.org/

Otherwise we'll have to take what you post on faith... without corroborating evidence.

Thanks,

BAA.

I knew a guy with three nipples, a girl with a tail, and a baby with her brain on the outside of her skull (that one didn't live long). Good thing God doesn't make mistakes.

Nah, God doesn't make mistakes, he just purposefully creates things the way they are!

When a child is born with a genetic disease that will significantly reduce their quality of life, it is his will. When a cow is born with two heads, it is his will. Glory!

• Like 2

Nah, God doesn't make mistakes, he just purposefully creates things the way they are![/size]

So if random genetic mutations are the causation for the origin of modern man, then random genetic mutations such as you described would be the natural process of Nature in the creation of man.  [Creation is the act by which something has never existed before is formed, produced, or made for the first time] 

Wow, as you brilliantly demonstrated by your reasoning that genetic mutations are the result of nature, so you are saying that one must conclude that the Holy Ghost is the causation for babies born without genetic mutations, since random genetic defects are the natural result from the  process of evolution.  

I amazed at how your perceptive your rationalization is when using your logic.  Thank you!

Hi Justus!

Could you please supply a link to UMich where those researchers make that claim.  https://www.umich.edu/

And also the CRI page that carries the statement you quoted. http://www.icr.org/

Otherwise we'll have to take what you post on faith... without corroborating evidence.

Thanks,

BAA.

So you're saying  you don't know if it is real or not....thank you for your response.

As far as your slam on faith, you response reminds me of John 11:9-10

9 If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
    10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

Faith in the Holy Ghost is little more sophisticated  than your scientific method of fluctuating variables, or ever changing laws from the random nature of evolution which you hold formed the universe.  Nope, my friend, the Holy Ghost isn't as simplistic as you believe since it starts with the belief in all possibilities which in this case might be that the fish is real, then again, it might be the fish is not real.

Since those who that do not subscribe to the random nature prescribed by evolution, they too are the ones who can make a definitive determination by the known and observed principle whereas those who lack such cannot say either way, as explained by your response.   

Any guess why those who walk at night stumble?

Justus used the word "random" 5 times in those 2 posts, and 4 out of 5 times it was in relation to the theory of evolution by natural selection.  This indicates his likely misunderstanding of that theory.  I do not think the word means what he thinks it means.

At the opposite end of the scale, natural selection is sometimes interpreted as a random process. This is also a misconception. The genetic variation that occurs in a population because of mutation is random — but selection acts on that variation in a very non-random way: genetic variants that aid survival and reproduction are much more likely to become common than variants that don't. Natural selection is NOT random!

Source:  "Misconceptions about natural selection", UC Berkeley,  http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evo_32

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

This fixation on a "holy ghost" is new to me. Anyone else seen this aberration before?

Duh, cuz God screwed up and they were born uncoordinated?

• Super Moderator

Justus,

Please do yourself and us a favor by honestly studying the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection and doing your best to understand how it actually works.  Changes in the genetic matrix of species do not occur at random, as you seem to think.  They occur as the result of selective environmental pressures.  In other words, there is a cause, a reason, for those genetic changes.

If you have questions concerning how evolution is driven by the environment, feel free to ask.  In the meantime, please stop talking about evolution, as it is clear that it is a subject about which you have no understanding.

Thanks,

TheRedneckProfessor

• Like 4

• Super Moderator

This fixation on a "holy ghost" is new to me. Anyone else seen this aberration before?

Not even as a former pentecostal.

I nominate Justus for the Woo Woo Award of the Month™.

• Like 2

Hi Justus!

Thanks,

BAA.

So you're saying  you don't know if it is real or not....thank you for your response.

As far as your slam on faith, you response reminds me of John 11:9-10

9 If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
    10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

Faith in the Holy Ghost is little more sophisticated  than your scientific method of fluctuating variables, or ever changing laws from the random nature of evolution which you hold formed the universe.  Nope, my friend, the Holy Ghost isn't as simplistic as you believe since it starts with the belief in all possibilities which in this case might be that the fish is real, then again, it might be the fish is not real.

Since those who that do not subscribe to the random nature prescribed by evolution, they too are the ones who can make a definitive determination by the known and observed principle whereas those who lack such cannot say either way, as explained by your response.   

No, friend.

I'm saying that I don't know if your initial post is trustworthy or not.  That's the issue here.  

You haven't cited where you got your information from.  

Guess what?  I'm definitely not going to take it on faith from you!

BAA.

• Super Moderator

I wish "The Holy Ghost" would start posting again and clear things up for this guy.

<snip>

<snip>

Justus, I think if you're honest to yourself you know that's not what he said. 

If you can somehow come up with a reason why I should believe in your deity of choice then I'm all ears. Your six-eyed fish however isn't going to cut it.

Perhaps it is because they need a flashlight.

Nah, God doesn't make mistakes, he just purposefully creates things the way they are![/size]

So if random genetic mutations are the causation for the origin of modern man, then random genetic mutations such as you described would be the natural process of Nature in the creation of man.  [Creation is the act by which something has never existed before is formed, produced, or made for the first time] 

Wow, as you brilliantly demonstrated by your reasoning that genetic mutations are the result of nature, so you are saying that one must conclude that the Holy Ghost is the causation for babies born without genetic mutations, since random genetic defects are the natural result from the  process of evolution.  

I amazed at how your perceptive your rationalization is when using your logic.  Thank you!

Oh good grief Justus… it's NOT random. NATURAL SELECTION is anything but random - SOME mutation is random, but if it isn't beneficial it is weeded out by NATURAL SELECTION. Please educate yourself on evolution.

• Like 1

• Home
  • »
  • March
  • »
  • Mutation, Not Natural Selection, Drives Evolution

Mutation, Not Natural Selection, Drives Evolution

Molecular evolutionary biologist Masatoshi Nei says Darwin never proved natural selection is the driving force of evolution — because it isn't. 

Source: http://discovermagazine.com/2014/march/12-mutation-not-natural-selection-drives-evolution

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mutations are random

Mutations can be beneficial, neutral, or harmful for the organism, but mutations do not "try" to supply what the organism "needs." Factors in the environment may influence the rate of mutation but are not generally thought to influence the direction of mutation. For example, exposure to harmful chemicals may increase the mutation rate, but will not cause more mutations that make the organism resistant to those chemicals. In this respect, mutations are random — whether a particular mutation happens or not is unrelated to how useful that mutation would be.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/mutations_07

• Super Moderator

Justus, do you have a clearly defined point to make? So far all I see is a misunderstanding of evolution at a very basic level and a desire to make the square peg of reality fit into your round hole of belief.

Can you state your purpose?

Justus,

Please do yourself and us a favor by honestly studying the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection and doing your best to understand how it actually works.  Changes in the genetic matrix of species do not occur at random, as you seem to think.  They occur as the result of selective environmental pressures.  In other words, there is a cause, a reason, for those genetic changes.

If you have questions concerning how evolution is driven by the environment, feel free to ask.  In the meantime, please stop talking about evolution, as it is clear that it is a subject about which you have no understanding.

Thanks,

TheRedneckProfessor

Could you give the falsifiability for the theory of evolution?  

Since I am so ignorant as you claim, then probably  evolution is too true be subject to any falsifiable since that would mean it would have to testable principles.  

After all, every science has for its basis a system of principles as fixed and unalterable as those by which the universe is regulated and governed according to Thomas Paine,

man can not simply make up principles, he can only discover them.  

"In the meantime, please stop talking about evolution, as it is clear that it is a subject about which you have no understanding."

So when you where a Christian, you knew that every word of the Bible was true too didn't you?

• Super Moderator

Justus,

Thanks,

TheRedneckProfessor

Could you give the falsifiability for the theory of evolution?  

Since I am so ignorant as you claim, then probably  evolution is too true be subject to any falsifiable since that would mean it would have to testable principles.  

After all, every science has for its basis a system of principles as fixed and unalterable as those by which the universe is regulated and governed according to Thomas Paine,

man can not simply make up principles, he can only discover them.  

"In the meantime, please stop talking about evolution, as it is clear that it is a subject about which you have no understanding."

So when you where a Christian, you knew that every word of the Bible was true too didn't you?

First of all, highlight, embolden, or underline the part in my post where I claimed you were ignorant.  If you can't, then don't accuse me of having done so.

Secondly, yes, I can point out several ways in which evolution is falsifiable.  However, as you lack the basic understanding of how evolution works in the first place, you would not be able to understand the ways in which it can be falsified.  Until you educate yourself on the mechanics of natural selection, it would be a waste of my time to try to explain the finer points of it to you.

• Like 5

The Six Eyed Fish reminds me of those butterflies that have wing markings that look like big feline eyes from above. 

It occurs to me that we can still find them around because their great great grandparents didn't get eaten by birds as often as their cousins did.  But why?

I think that's what Justus is asking, or saying, or telling us.

To the OP...I think I need that book, and yes the example you posted took a slam at holy books, and it makes sense.

First of all, highlight, embolden, or underline the part in my post where I claimed you were ignorant. If you can't, then don't accuse me of having done so.

Secondly, yes, I can point out several ways in which evolution is falsifiable. However, as you lack the basic understanding of how evolution works in the first place, you would not be able to understand the ways in which it can be falsified. Until you educate yourself on the mechanics of natural selection, it would be a waste of my time to try to explain the finer points of it to you.

Ipso facto