Goodbye Jesus

I Had To Pray For Someone Today.

Woodsy

My friend, whose husband is dying of brain cancer, called me to ask for prayer. She doesn't know I've deconverted and I wasn't about to tell her. She said that everything is just so sad and she wanted me to pray. So, I did. I fell back on a familiar formula of prayer and when it was over she thanked me. What a moment. The prayer meant nothing to me but everything to her. Glad I could do it. Thoughts??

• Like 6

If I had been in the same position as you, like you, I would have dug back into my Christian past and would have said the most uplifting prayer I was capable of saying. That was what your friend needed and you were a good friend to her in her time of great need.

I think you did the right thing Woodsy, or at least the best thing you could do at the time.   I'm sorry to hear that your friend's husband has cancer and that she is (understandably) sad.

• Like 2

remember you did a kind deed for a friend, and you did not insist on your own belief.

she needs a friend, and you are there.... thats all that matters

• Like 3

Initially I agreed with the other posters, and on balance I still do.

But it occurs to me that you've now deceived your friend, which may or may not become a problem.  Is she a close friend?  Will the dishonesty matter to her, or to your friendship, once this period is over?  Will it make it even harder in the future to 'come out' to her, given that it may reveal the deception?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying you were wrong to do what you did, and I would probably have done the same thing in the same situation.  But it might yet prove complicated.

• Like 2

Initially I agreed with the other posters, and on balance I still do.

But it occurs to me that you've now deceived your friend, which may or may not become a problem.  Is she a close friend?  Will the dishonesty matter to her, or to your friendship, once this period is over?  Will it make it even harder in the future to 'come out' to her, given that it may reveal the deception?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying you were wrong to do what you did, and I would probably have done the same thing in the same situation.  But it might yet prove complicated.

I see what you mean. We were close friends once when I was a Christian but we both have become distant this past year. We'll see what happens.

Woodsy, It's nice to give.. or be given 'hope' at any time during one's life and you gave someone a little hope. That's what kindness is all about. I hope things will be OK for all of you.

Big hug hon. kiss.gif

• Super Moderator

I think you did the kindest thing you could do under the circumstances.   It's a tough situation for you, for sure, but an even tougher one for your friend and her husband.  Giving comfort to someone who is suffering is a good thing!    

I do think that 25YearsLater brings up a good point.  You might have to brace yourself for that, unfortunately.

There's no shame in offering comfort to someone facing the death of a loved one. Look at it this way; there are many atheist clergy/pastors who offer up prayers to a god they do no believe in. 

You did a beautiful thing for a friend going through a horrible time, and that is good.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and advice. Life sure can be tough sometimes.

Woodsy: Don't think for a minute that you did anything but the kind thing. Good for you. Rip

You did the right thing. I am sorry to hear that her husband is dying.

I think you did a very kind thing.  Your friend needed support and was strong enough to ask for specifically what she felt she needed.  While you know that your prayer will not offer any other help than just comfort you might want to offer something more practical.

Maybe stop by with some groceries or easy to heat healthy meals?  Tell her you are going to the store/post office/bank etc, and ask if she needs anything while you are there.  Offer to sit down with her and go sort through mail or bills to make sure nothing is getting overlooked.  If you have the funds pay to have her house cleaned or laundry done on a day that they are out at doctors appointments. 

Care givers tend to be really bad at taking the time to care for themselves so these types of things will be an actual blessing to her instead of prayer.

• Like 1

I think you did a very kind thing.  Your friend needed support and was strong enough to ask for specifically what she felt she needed.  While you know that your prayer will not offer any other help than just comfort you might want to offer something more practical.

Maybe stop by with some groceries or easy to heat healthy meals?  Tell her you are going to the store/post office/bank etc, and ask if she needs anything while you are there.  Offer to sit down with her and go sort through mail or bills to make sure nothing is getting overlooked.  If you have the funds pay to have her house cleaned or laundry done on a day that they are out at doctors appointments. 

Care givers tend to be really bad at taking the time to care for themselves so these types of things will be an actual blessing to her instead of prayer.

Good ideas, Thrive, thanks!

I agree with what was said here.

What a tough situation for them. You did the right thing, in my opinion. I know if I was in that situation, and the Wife found out I had prayed for someone, She might be insulted knowing that I don't believe it. And I understand that. But fortunately, there is always the formula for how to pray something uplifting. Obviously we know it won't help the cancer patient, but it did help her.