Goodbye Jesus

"hearing God"

TheHappyWarrior

Have any of de-converts here had an experience where they believed at the time they were hearing the voice of God? By voice I mean one that is literally audible not just say the Holy Spirit encouraging them to go one direction or the other. 

Literally audible as an external sound would be (i.e., hearing it though the ears)?

Have any of de-converts here had an experience where they believed at the time they were hearing the voice of God? By voice I mean one that is literally audible not just say the Holy Spirit encouraging them to go one direction or the other. 

No, no voices. No visuals. Only the dopamine euphoria.

Just as easily as the brain produces the running commentary that is our daily lives, it can produce other internal voices. Confirmation bias instilled by the clergy make it seem spiritual, but it's all literally in your mind.

• Like 1

Literally audible as an external sound would be (i.e., hearing it though the ears)?

Well not necessarily through the ears but actually hearing words even if only in the mind. 

Makes sense why then the holy spirit always put me at odds with other Christians. I always thought they were wrong. If I'd in my head it means I'm actually heading logic win out lol

I cannot remember where I heard this and I am paraphrasing:

"if one talks to god they are religious and sane", "if one hears god talking to them they are crazy"... To me both sound insane. I would say voices in your head are illness not the words of god.

My father told me at least once that he heard audible words of God. He said he heard a voice saying, "Now I will deliver you." This was when my father began what he thought was a new effort in his attempts to spread his idiosyncratic religion. He had made up his own amalgam of Hinduistic and Christian teachings. He was also diagnosed as schizophrenic, though it didn't manifest itself much outside his religious interests.

I once had an audio-hallucination when I thought I heard someone call my name from up above me in a tree. When I saw there was no one up there, I immediately thought, "Oh, I must be really tired. I'm imagining things." Never thought about any god at all. This was a few months before my deconversion was complete, but I guess I was already on the way.

Makes sense why then the holy spirit always put me at odds with other Christians. I always thought they were wrong. If I'd in my head it means I'm actually heading logic win out lol

The Holy Spirit told me to think like a Christian.

The Common Sense Spirit told me to dump that church crap. :-)

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Many years ago, my DFH* was called to Florida because his mother was critically ill and expected to die.  On the airplane flight, he said he heard god tell him that she would recover.  He insisted "The Voice" was audible and not in his own head.  His mother died.    Draw your own conclusions.   (BTW, he also said god "told" him not to worry because I would come back to the lord again some day.    WendyDoh.gif )

*DFH = DearFundyHubby

When I was taking xianity very seriously, I never once heard a voice from god, nor did I ever feel led in any way by the holy spirit.  I seriously prayed (not to hear voices, but to talk to god about serious things) and never once had any type of feedback.

In church when I went, the minister would say things like, "You have to be still and quiet and you will hear god," but I never heard anything or felt anything, nor did anyone else that I knew.  People would say things like, "I know god answers prayers all the time" but I never saw that or experienced it, even through other people's experiences in the church, and no one I knew ever said they had heard god or felt led by anything.

• Super Moderator

Frequent hallucinations should be investigated by a medical professional. Discarnate voices are a symptom, not a revelation from a god or orders from a demon or whatever else one might imagine it to be.

Not me.

Even as a Christian, I tried to be open to God. The still small voice I "heard" in my head was always my common sense, directing me the way it does now. I always knew that.

No audibles for me.

Nope, not a peep. I always though the whole, "God led me here" or "Pray on it and see what God tells you where to go" talks, were extremely stupid too. Like, you didn't get a fucking answer, stop it. You looked out for the quickest coincidence, so you could take it as something. Whenever they say crap like that, it's because that's either what they wanted for themselves, deep down; or felt that it was what they deserved.

Don't get me started on missions either. They're more about "doing works for God" and "getting in his good graces"; way more than actual, genuine, help.

We were taught in the Pentecostal church that god lays 'impressions' in our mind and also that he would answer us through music, 'signs', other people and through stopping (or allowing) situations to happen. We were to be on the constant look out to 'hear' god talking to us. We were even taught that it was OK every now and again to send out a 'fleece' to god although that was considered to be a 'weak' attempt at hearing god. I sent out thousands of fleeces but never told anyone because it was a sign of weak faith. Hebrews was the chapter we were to read when we couldn't seem to hear god's voice. Just as my mind tells me all the things I must accomplish today, is exactly how I thought god was speaking to me years ago.... through my intuition. I never heard audible voices but definitely would get guidance in my mind (I thought.) Now I know it was my own 'guidance' and my own 'voice' in my head. 

So now, the little voice is telling me I have many things to do today........

I once had an experience where the holy spirit (the voice in my head) spoke to me so clearly and profoundly in regards to the situation that I was almost certain that it was audible. I still have trouble wrapping my head around the events of what happened. But the "voice" was clear as if someone was talking to me. It was a very impactful experience.

I "felt" God speaking to me, but I never actually heard it.

We were taught in the Pentecostal church that god lays 'impressions' in our mind and also that he would answer us through music, 'signs', other people and through stopping (or allowing) situations to happen. We were to be on the constant look out to 'hear' god talking to us. We were even taught that it was OK every now and again to send out a 'fleece' to god although that was considered to be a 'weak' attempt at hearing god. I sent out thousands of fleeces but never told anyone because it was a sign of weak faith. Hebrews was the chapter we were to read when we couldn't seem to hear god's voice. Just as my mind tells me all the things I must accomplish today, is exactly how I thought god was speaking to me years ago.... through my intuition. I never heard audible voices but definitely would get guidance in my mind (I thought.) Now I know it was my own 'guidance' and my own 'voice' in my head. 

So now, the little voice is telling me I have many things to do today........

My experience was similar to yours Margee.

I often thought I was hearing from god but know I know that was my intuition/internal voice mulling things over in my mind.

My fundie sister frequently makes major life decisions such as buying a house, quitting a job, based on her belief it is god's plan for her.  Usually it's the wrong decision and she loses out.  It's quite painful to watch.

Frequent hallucinations should be investigated by a medical professional. Discarnate voices are a symptom, not a revelation from a god or orders from a demon or whatever else one might imagine it to be.

yep... shouldn't be that hard to accept the fact that if you hear voices when you are alone that you are convinced are not your minds voices you should see a doctor.

I have heard voices a number of times. Never once when I did not have a head full of LSD. Even with a brain full of that rage I knew enough to know I was hallucinating and it was not real.

Sane people do not hear voices other than their own.