Goodbye Jesus

Realizing How Disgusting The Bible Is

Learner

The other day, I had the sudden realization how absolutely disgusting and revolting and cultish the idea of the Lord's Supper (Eucharist) is. Even for non-Catholics who don't believe in transubstantiation, the idea that believers are drinking the blood and eating the body of their dead man-God is nauseating.

Has anyone else had some other examples where, as an ex-Christian, they have the sudden realization of how immoral or disgusting something in the Bible is that Christians wouldn't think twice about?

Goodbye Jesus

Hi Learner and welcome! As a former catholic, born again, fundy...etc...I am starting to see how awful the bible is. I agree with you about the eucharist and I could never fully understand what that was all about. jesus said that unless we eat his body and drink his blood we have no life it us. WHAT?? Alot of things that we were brainwashed with just doesn't make sense. jesus also said that if we don't hate the ones we love most in this world, we have no part in him. Creates alot of fear, if you ask me, and I'm the expert when it comes to fear-induced religion!

Again, we welcome you and look forward to many more posts.

Realizing this had a lot to do with my deconversion after 25yrs as a fundy.

What hit me the hardest was some of the evil things god commanded to be done to women.

Making them drink water with sand in it as a test of infidelity. The first time I read that what popped into my mind was the witch trial from Monty Python's Holy Grail. I found it to be just as absurd but without the humor of course.

Also cutting your wife's hand off if she happens to touch another man's junk while she's trying to save your life from an attacker.

Making them drink water with sand in it as a test of infidelity.... Also cutting your wife's hand off...

Where is either of these in the bible?

Deuteronomy 25:11-12 (NIV)

11 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

For the infidelity test, read Numbers 5:11-31

Sorry I should have posted the verses. It was early and I hadn't had any coffee yet.

Thanks Learner for posting those.

Washed in the blood . . . 

Any idea how many blood born diseases there are in existence?  The Bible is all about blood.  In the OT it's all about animal blood.  The NT is about the cleansing blood of a man.

Bloody hell   brutal_01.gif

• Like 1

Many years ago, I attended a women's bible study every Tuesday morning. We were studying the Tabernacle in the OT and it was very in depth and detailed. It all had to do with ritual and blood sacrifice. The main focus of the study was how the tabernacle represented Jesus Christ and his blood sacrifice. Now my question is and should have been...why did God require such a thing in the first place? Why did he go into such great detail about sacrificing an animal for the atonement of sins and for worshipping him? Doesn't make a bit of sense! Clearly the bible and all its stories were written my ancient man just trying to create a god in their image.

• Like 3

Thanks for the refs, Learner.  Staggeringly primitive, I'd forgotten the dreadful stuff hidden away in the so-called 'Law'.

Just noticed how all this blood sacrificing, makes me think about devil worshipping lol Christian God and the devil are so interchangeable.

• Like 1

Realizing this had a lot to do with my deconversion after 25yrs as a fundy.

What hit me the hardest was some of the evil things god commanded to be done to women.

Making them drink water with sand in it as a test of infidelity. The first time I read that what popped into my mind was the witch trial from Monty Python's Holy Grail. I found it to be just as absurd but without the humor of course.

Also cutting your wife's hand off if she happens to touch another man's junk while she's trying to save your life from an attacker.

Thanks for finding these grizly and immoral things in the bible so I don't have to, lol.

The bolded part jumped out at me because making false accusations of infidelity is one of the things abusers often do.  They accuse because they have been unfaithful themselves and they are paranoid, jealous, and controlling towards their partners.  The men who wrote the bible were not only sexually obsessed, I think they were also extremely abusive towards women, at the interpersonal level.

It blows me away whenever someone claims our legal systems are based on the "morality" of the bible.  On the contrary, the laws of English-speaking countries have been so thoroughly updated since the Enlightenment Era that their biblical elements are all but gone.  Just as well, given how utterly immoral the bible is.

• Like 1

I thought of two more examples I wanted to add. I agree about the Job story being disgusting. Bart Ehrman's book on suffering really showed this story in its true colors to me. This story shows God can torture and take away everything from His innocent and faithful child...because of a bet with "Satan". Even more, this story is disgusting in showing children are almost meaningless and expendable...because Job lost 7 children and other stuff, so hey, God gave him 7 more children and all his stuff back. Um, thanks??

And as we all realize, the idea of hell is absolutely despicable. All fundamentalists believe people go to hell because of their son, but ultimately because they don't

Sorry, I'm on the phone. I meant to continue my thought above:

...ultimately because they don't beleive everything exactly right. Some fundamentalists believe Catholics go to hell because they supposedly believe in justification also by works. Church of Christ beleive everyone but them is going to hell. Really?!?! Someone can even have faith in Jesus yet go to hell simply because they don't beleieb everything "exactly right"?! That's despicable.

• Like 1

In my post two above, I meant to say "sin" not "son" in the last paragraph. (Thanks a lot, autocorrect)

Now that we are exchristians we look at the barbaric things in the bible and are appalled. Before deconversion we saw nothing wrong with these crazy scriptures. I can understand that with children. But educated adults? Ourselves? The fact that that happened and we know that it happened tells me more than I want to know about human capacity for depravity and stupidity. It explains a great deal about history, not only about Xtians, but history about all peoples. It also tells us how difficult it is to prevent future genocide. It goes beyond  brainwashed religious nuts; It makes us vulnerable to all kinds of belief systems.  bill

When god hardened Pharoah's heart until there were not only plagues over the land, torturing the citizens and their animals, but he hardened his heart until BABIES died.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Any idea how many blood born diseases there are in existence?  The Bible is all about blood.  In the OT it's all about animal blood.  The NT is about the cleansing blood of a man.

Hmm... christianity as a bloodborne pathogen.  Interesting thought.

Deuteronomy 25:11-12 (NIV)

11 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

and people call scientology crazy...

• Like 1

Infinite, torturous punishment for finite sins; some of which are hardly "sins" at all. There is no justification in this doctrine, no matter how you twist it.

• Like 2

Every time I hear the phrase "washed in the blood of the lamb," I feel a sudden urge to vomit because it reminds me of an incident that happened when I was in college many, many, many years ago. One Saturday night, lamb chops were on the menu at the student dining hall, but after the first couple of diners took a few bites, it was clear that the meat was rancid. It was all thrown into the dumpster behind the building but it was not picked up until Monday morning.

Let's just say, a horrendous smell (which I can still smell/taste to this day) invaded the entire campus all day on Sunday, the "Lord's Day." I had recently become a smart-assed ex-christian, so my immediate thought then (which I still think to this day whenever I get a whiff of rotting meat and garbage) was "Hmmm, smells like Christian love."

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Every time I hear the phrase "washed in the blood of the lamb," I feel a sudden urge to vomit because it reminds me of an incident that happened when I was in college many, many, many years ago. One Saturday night, lamb chops were on the menu at the student dining hall, but after the first couple of diners took a few bites, it was clear that the meat was rancid. It was all thrown into the dumpster behind the building but it was not picked up until Monday morning.

Let's just say, a horrendous smell (which I can still smell/taste to this day) invaded the entire campus all day on Sunday, the "Lord's Day." I had recently become a smart-assed ex-christian, so my immediate thought then (which I still think to this day whenever I get a whiff of rotting meat and garbage) was "Hmmm, smells like Christian love."

My first thought when I hear the phrase "washed in the blood" -- 

Carrie

Carrie Washed In The Blood.jpg

Some of the worst verses for me are the ones demanding adject submission to governmental authorities (Romans 13:1-7, 1 Peter 2:13-17) and slaves to their masters (Ephesians 6:5, 1 Peter 2:18 among others) although understandable to show that Christianity wasn't politically 'subversive" to the authorities. 

"God requires blood and death to forgive people. Why can't he just forgive people?" Bingo! He tells us to just let it go, but won't do the same. Believers used to give excuses like "even god is bound by his holy law". WTF?!

What kind of god needs blood anyway? And the book of Job is one of the most disgusting displays of groveling. He sums up the experience by saying "Though he slay me, yet will I trust him". Ewww! Battered wife anyone? The scriptures are replete with primitive thoughts about reality, magic done in the name of god (Genesis 30, genetic manipulation by peeling bark off of branches), heaven is a firmament above which god lives (there is no up or down in space, and no firmament).

• Like 3

"God requires blood and death to forgive people. Why can't he just forgive people?" Bingo! He tells us to just let it go, but won't do the same. Believers used to give excuses like "even god is bound by his holy law". WTF?!

What kind of god needs blood anyway? And the book of Job is one of the most disgusting displays of groveling. He sums up the experience by saying "Though he slay me, yet will I trust him". Ewww! Battered wife anyone? The scriptures are replete with primitive thoughts about reality, magic done in the name of god (Genesis 30, genetic manipulation by peeling bark off of branches), heaven is a firmament above which god lives (there is no up or down in space, and no firmament).

This is exactly the type of crap that gave me forgiveness issues.  I never learned how to forgive while I was a Christian because Christianity lied to me about what forgiveness means and gave me a false roadmap leading the wrong way.  It's amazing but after becoming an atheist I learned how to resolve issues that had bothered me my whole life.