Goodbye Jesus

What Form Does Your Spirituality Take?

Orbit

At the present time, I am drawn to the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism, which is broadly Mahayana Buddhism..  But I am obviously not Tibetan and I am not up to trying to pretend I am. I am also not sectarian, so I don't intend to take the specific vows of the Nyingma school at this time, nor would I probably be given them.  I have a full time job so have little time for lengthy practices and rituals, but do some of those occasionally and feel that is OK for where I am at.

I also like Advaita Vedanta and I can see some parallels between the Nyingma (particularly Dzogchen teachings) and the Advaita Vedanta.

This may or may not fall under spirituality, depending on your view. it's entirely naturalistic, I admit. I've said elsewhere that I most highly value the emergent properties of love and empathy, especially as meaningfully applied. Meaning, I don't necessarily think a universal love exists, but in our daily interactions with the people we come in contact with, that's what gives love and empathy any discernible meaning.

But I've noticed something else too: I've always been a big fan of paleoanthropology and paleo archaeology. But this weekend I was watching some documentaries on early hominids, and I noticed I really get some kind of transcendant feeling, looking into the lives of the people who initially made us us. People who broke through certain barriers like language which radically changed who and what we are. If we are the universe becoming aware of itself, then these early hominids were the universe's first stirrings into consciousness. My mind always goes to what must it have been like, being part of the first group to communicate with one another meaningfully? Or any number of other things.