Goodbye Jesus

Here Goes.

masquerade

Thanks, Margee.  I don't think I a label fits me real well so I was a bit uncomfortable about joining.  I just saw a lot of caring and encouragement for people as I read and lurked here.  There are days that I feel that I am an atheist...I had envisioned for a day or two "what if there is no God like the Bible said"  and in about two days it sort of hit me that it was all just the natural world.  Some days I feel not just atheist, almost anti-theist when I consider how much harm organized religion does and it is really all about controlling people.  Then at times I run into people that have taken the essential message of LOVE ONE ANOTHER to heart and make it work in their lives.  Then I feel spiritual--like there is something bigger than me, but not sure what?  Does that make sense?   I know the whole idea of me being a bad person because I was born human is out.  That's bunk.  As is the concept of hell.  Reading here, along with other books, has helped me shed those ideas.  So suffice to say, I don't really know what I believe anymore.  

And maybe the idea of love one another is possible from a humanistic perspective too.  

There are some good ideas that come from religion.  But most of it seems like people controlling...which I tend to resist!

• Like 1

Thanks, Margee.  I don't think I a label fits me real well so I was a bit uncomfortable about joining.  I just saw a lot of caring and encouragement for people as I read and lurked here.  There are days that I feel that I am an atheist...I had envisioned for a day or two "what if there is no God like the Bible said"  and in about two days it sort of hit me that it was all just the natural world.  Some days I feel not just atheist, almost anti-theist when I consider how much harm organized religion does and it is really all about controlling people.  Then at times I run into people that have taken the essential message of LOVE ONE ANOTHER to heart and make it work in their lives.  Then I feel spiritual--like there is something bigger than me, but not sure what?  Does that make sense?   I know the whole idea of me being a bad person because I was born human is out.  That's bunk.  As is the concept of hell.  Reading here, along with other books, has helped me shed those ideas.  So suffice to say, I don't really know what I believe anymore.  

And maybe the idea of love one another is possible from a humanistic perspective too.  

There are some good ideas that come from religion.  But most of it seems like people controlling...which I tend to resist!

I really relate to what you are saying totallyanonymous. One of the conclusions I have come to myself is that we all have a lower and higher self. I am trying very hard to listen to what my 'higher' self is telling me and I try to follow that. My lower side tends to be lazy and not want responsibility. My higher self kicks my own ass and helps me to do the right thing for me. I'm not sure if I look at it as a spiritual thing, It's probably a game I play with myself to help me along the road in life.

I'm glad you are here with us.