Goodbye Jesus

Will I Have To Call My Brother 'father'?

TheSerpent

So get this shit. I just got off the telephone with my sister Sarah. One of our brothers, Abe, has applied for admission to a seminary to study for the priesthood.

O_o

Abe is like an ULTRA traditionalist. Total Latin mass freak. Moreover he's a complete douchenozzle. He flips out at even slighest suggestion of sin. Say "oh my god!" in earshot of the churchie motherfucker and he crosses himself.

He used to play mass when we were kids. rolleyes.gif

He's sought to join to a group of loons call the Fraternal Society of St Peter (FSSP) who are dedicated to the old Latin mass. Bells and smells, full liturgical drag -- the lot. They're also raving bigots, misogynists and homophobes. However he's hit a snag. As an eastern catholic, he has to get a thing called a dispensation from the Syro-Malankara catholic church to be ordained in the Roman church. Apparently this is a drama and he's wigging out.

Silly fucker. Anyone else here related to clergy or wannabe clergy?

• Like 1

Silly fucker. Anyone else here related to clergy or wannabe clergy?

My cousin is a Southern Baptist preacher.  I had to sit through 20 minutes of his Fire-N-Brimstone at my grandmother's funeral.  It was awful.  I mean he is skilled as a preacher and I'm sure he will do well at squeezing money out of gullible fools.  it was awful listening to all that double talk and trickery while trying to keep a strait face.

• Like 1

Just address him as sky pilot (cap for short) or god botherer.

• Like 2

As far as I know, none of my relatives have positions as church leaders. A lot of my relatives are also United Methodist. Anyways, I knew some people who were going for careers as snake oil salesmen clergy during my rodeo with religion. There's one guy that comes to mind that I met online, I'll call him Ben, and he told me often about how his brother, I'll call him Tyler, was joining a monastery (more like a cult within the larger cult). Tyler was the younger of the two, and at the time, he hadn't yet made his final vows. Tyler was a contributor to this order's website, and I'd read what he had to say during the time that Ben and I were in contact with each other. Anyways, Ben was pure batshit fundy through and through. Traditional Latin mass, Church Militant fan, member of the church's young adult group, educated through the church's schools, the whole 9 yards. Ben was also kind of a creep, and he dumped me after a month and a half. He'd probably found someone closer to home that he could groom and gaslight. 

I'd gotten to thinking about Tyler a few months after the fact, so I looked up that order's website and didn't see him anywhere. Maybe he's since left the order. I hope so, b/c he struck me as someone who was too honest for that kind of "work" anyway, batshit fundy or not. There were also the ones who were in the seminary during my last couple years playing church, and everyone there would treat them like they were rock stars when they'd be there to help with the services. I know at least one of them was ordained by the time I'd left that hellhole once and for all. 

As far as I know, none of my relatives have positions as church leaders. A lot of my relatives are also United Methodist. Anyways, I knew some people who were going for careers as snake oil salesmen clergy during my rodeo with religion. There's one guy that comes to mind that I met online, I'll call him Ben, and he told me often about how his brother, I'll call him Tyler, was joining a monastery (more like a cult within the larger cult). Tyler was the younger of the two, and at the time, he hadn't yet made his final vows. Tyler was a contributor to this order's website, and I'd read what he had to say during the time that Ben and I were in contact with each other. Anyways, Ben was pure batshit fundy through and through. Traditional Latin mass, Church Militant fan, member of the church's young adult group, educated through the church's schools, the whole 9 yards. Ben was also kind of a creep, and he dumped me after a month and a half. He'd probably found someone closer to home that he could groom and gaslight.

I'd gotten to thinking about Tyler a few months after the fact, so I looked up that order's website and didn't see him anywhere. Maybe he's since left the order. I hope so, b/c he struck me as someone who was too honest for that kind of "work" anyway, batshit fundy or not. There were also the ones who were in the seminary during my last couple years playing church, and everyone there would treat them like they were rock stars when they'd be there to help with the services. I know at least one of them was ordained by the time I'd left that hellhole once and for all.

Random, but your username reminds me of a song. "Mile Away" by Capital Lights lol

Well I don't know if this counts but I have sisters who seem to think they are special leaders or deaconesses of some sort in the home church group they lead. I just think they're misguided on too many levels to count. Of course, if it were a powerful church like the Catholic Church, it might be different. Then again, my siblings are people I remember when they were born and how they grew up from little kids and through adolescence . If they want my respect they need to earn it. I don't think I'd have much respect for my brother if he were the pope in Rome. 

Fear and respect are not the same. If I have reason to fear losing my place in the family by not doing obeisance to my priest brother, I might do what I have to do to keep what I value. But that says nothing about any feelings of respect for him. (None of my brothers are priests so that was just an example.) It says something about feelings of fear about losing what I value, about intimidation. Some people mistake fear for respect. To see folk cower makes them feel powerful. I no longer bother with people like that. I ignore their existence, which takes away their power, I suppose, and possibly they hate me for it. Which brings me back to the beginning: If they want my respect they've got to earn it by being respectful--not by imposing power and authority.

I don't know if that helps you with your brother. Each family is different but I can understand your struggle to come to terms with his aspirations. I sure had some myself when my sisters took up their so-called ministries.

My grandfather and one of my uncles were Baptist preachers. They were sincere although according to my mother, her dad was overbearing. I saw them infrequently. Grampa ran a church in a frontier gold mining town were his primary duty was to preside over the funerals of the gunshot victims. He and Gramma believed it was their duty to "“raise the moral standard of the community,” and they were elated when the 18 Amendment to the Constitution, prohibition of alcohol, passed. But we all know how well that worked out. And the houses for single women continued in business until the 1960s.

My wife's grandfather was a priest and a total charlatan and con man. We just called him "Grampa." We played along when we visited and considered it entertainment, and his character was certainly entertaining. Central Casting couldn't have done a better job. We do feel sorry for those he victimized. The walls of his office were completely covered with various certificates of achievement, most of which he had made for himself. He joined an offshoot of his church so he could be appointed Bishop and had elaborate vestments suitable for a high society costume party. We loved to visit; it was like a big "let's pretend" party.

Sorry... browser failure resulted in multiple posts.

Sorry... browser failure resulted in multiple posts.

I'm looking at the title again: Will I have to call my brother 'father'? I suppose he's got a name such as Bob or John. Call him that. If he's too big for his own name maybe he's not worthy of being called a brother. Just my opinion.

My dad was (retired now but still fills in on occasion at his church) an IFB pastor. He's still batshit crazy about religion. It was horrible growing up with a bigoted, misogynist, racist, homophobe who skillfully managed to make people part with their hard earned money in fear of going to hell if they didnt.

He also along with my mom has pretty much cut me off for living in an "unchristian" manner and them not agreeing with my life. And they have no remorse about it because they are following the bible to a "T" and feel 100% justified.

It's been interesting getting out of that upbringing and becoming an ex christian.

• Like 1

I think I'm the first to break tradition by leaving the church and the Protestant ministry. I come from a long line of ministers. I'm honored to say it ends with me. I doubt my son will take up the cross.

My dad was a So. Baptist minister for over 50 years, and was a fill-in preacher and ran a truck-stop ministry when he passed away this year. My relatives who are looking to join the ministry no longer call me for advice because I tell them they should haul ass from their religion instead of continue teaching something that is wicked at its core, I consider their doctrine against humanity, that all have sinned and need a perfect sacrifice, Jesus, to be saved, to be its core doctrine.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Furball

I had a friend who went on to be a pastor. Never heard from him again. I thought the bible said not to call anyone on earth your father. -oh well